Home Sports Talk

Current players locks for HOF

What players that are playing today do you think are locks for the hall of fame? Does 500 HRs guarentee? Make a list.

Ive got :
Barry Bonds (barring steroid discovery)
Roger Clemens
Randy Johnson
Greg Maddux
Tom Glavine
John Smoltz
Derek Jeter
Alex Rodriquez
Craig Biggio.
Ken Griffey Jr.
Sammy Sosa (eh?)

What do you think about IROD? or Piazza? or Chipper? Schilling?

Also curious, does anyone think Mark Grace will get in?
imageimageimage

Comments

• What do you think about IROD? or Piazza? or Chipper? Schilling?

Also curious, does anyone think Mark Grace will get in?

Piazza is a lock, as is Pudge, 2 of the best hitting catchers ever, and in Pudge's case a superb defensive catcher and team leader.

Chipper needs 4-5 more solid seasons, Schilling has a shot with the Veterans committee, no way for Grace.

Two sluggers that will get in:
    Frank Thomas close to 500 Homers
    Jim Thome, inching closer to 500 Homers and hell of a nice guy and ambassador for the game.
  • If Grace doesn't ever get in I believe he would be the only player to lead a decade in hits without making the hall. Pudge and Piazza locks. Schilling maybe. I agree with all of your locks. Another lock is PEdro

Edited to add Rivera and Hoffman are also locks. Anyone that doesnt think Pedro is a lock has not been listening to the voters that speak publicly.
  • What Boba said, plus don't rule out Manny Ramirez and if David Ortiz can keep it up for another 5 years, he'll be a lock. Ichiro and Pujols as well.

I also think at one point or another many many years from now Omar Vizquel will get in.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think about IROD? or Piazza? or Chipper? Schilling? >>

I-Rod and Piazza are locks, IMO. Chipper has a shot with a few more good years. Schilling has a decent shot if he retires with a weak class.

I don't think Grace makes it; he was consistently very good but almost never considered the best at his position.

I think you have to throw Pedro in the possible mix as well. Injuries have prevented him from being a lock, but he's been dominant enough when healthy to have a shot.
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>What players that are playing today do you think are locks for the hall of fame? Does 500 HRs guarentee? Make a list.

Ive got :
    Barry Bonds (barring steroid discovery)
    Roger Clemens
    Randy Johnson
    Greg Maddux
    Tom Glavine
    John Smoltz
    Derek Jeter
    Alex Rodriquez
    Craig Biggio.
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Sammy Sosa (eh?)

What do you think about IROD? or Piazza? or Chipper?

Also curious, does anyone think Mark Grace will get in? >>

Chipper Jones is almost guaranteed.
  • Pedro has the best winning percentage all time with the exception of Spud Chandler (ha) but he needs to have a few more good years I think. Schilling is also very generally liked and a leader in the players union, and I think that helps.
    I think Andre Dawson needs to get in. 400/400 club. Seriously.

Manny also I agree is a lock, he will retire with maybe 600 home runs.

Thomas and Thome I think have a CHANCE at being the only 2 members(besides McGwire and palmeiro, due to steroid suspiscion) to perhaps not get in.

What about Roy Halladay? Has he proven well enough yet? Too early?
    What about Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman? Will Lee Smith ever get in?
    imageimageimage

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Hunter Pence.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Hunter Pence.

image >>

That brings up a question I've been wondering about . . . who are the younger players that you think have the best chance of becoming a Hall of Famer someday?

I feel like saying Grady Sizemore and Hanley Ramirez (especially if he gets traded or signs with a bigger market team).
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Sizemore idea. The only thing holding him back will be the possible injuries he sustains from diving headlong into foul poles for a number of years. I absolutely love the way he plays.

Reyes also looks good as a young superstar also.

Old guys locks -
    Manny, Thomas, Thome, Vlad, Biggio, Delgado, Jeter, Griffey, Piazza, Pudge, A-Rod,

Pedro, Johnson, Maddux, Glavine, Rivera

Guys with a good chance -
    Papi, Pujols, Ichiro, Chipper, Edmonds (defense gives him an edge), Sheffield, Smoltz, Schilling
    Travis
  • I dunno about Edmonds or Delgado, i thnk theyve got a shot but depends on how they finish.

Young guys, Reyes, Hanley, Sizemore, Matt Holliday.

Anyone think Todd Helton is hall of fame material.
    better lifetime average than Cap Anson
    imageimageimage

• Helton has a shot if:

He stays healthy enough.
    Gets traded to a big market team.
    3000 hits wouldn't hurt either.

Also wanted to add to my previous post--IMO Rivera and Trevor Hoffman are locks. Jeff Kent is another one that just needs a few more 'top of his position' years to be a lock.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    No talk of Mark McGwire or Raphael Palmeiro, huh?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

<< <i>No talk of Mark McGwire or Raphael Palmeiro, huh? >>

The thread is for 'current' players.

I still think McGwire should be in. Palmeiro I'm iffy on because of the finger pointing.
    Travis
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246

<< <i>The thread is for 'current' players. >>

Sheesh...I need to learn to pay attention a bit. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piazza is a first ballot lock. I think Pedro will get in, too, Mariano Rivera, too, not only for his long career as a premier closer but his postseason numbers are spectacular.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pedro is a lock, Manny is too if he gets to 500 hr.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    i think smoltz is a legitimate canidate
    200+wins
    100+ saves
    a ton of k's

i think he's in
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• agreed.
    What about Andy Pettite.
    he is the first pitcher since the thirties to start his career with 12 winning seasons.
    Helton is hurt by Coors, I see him play all the time cuz I live out here and he is a fantastic hitter, and I think he deserves if he finishes with that .333 batting average.

Chipper needs to stay on the Braves, the hall is sympathetic to one team gusy (Sandberg) and blows offn journeymen (Blyleven, Dawson)
    I think Pedro needs to come off the injury strong.
    imageimageimage

• and I do hope Schilling gets in. image
    imageimageimage

• on another note, what about Gary Sheffield? does he need 500?
    I think Delgado wont get in unless he reaches that milestone
    imageimageimage

Sheffield needs 500hr and then some. I don't think he's getting elected for his charming personality.
    Travis
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sheffield needs 500hr and then some. I don't think he's getting elected for his charming personality. >>

When Sheff speaks, people listen.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hunter Pence.

image >>

That brings up a question I've been wondering about . . . who are the younger players that you think have the best chance of becoming a Hall of Famer someday?

I feel like saying Grady Sizemore and Hanley Ramirez (especially if he gets traded or signs with a bigger market team). >>

JOHAN SANTANA

<< <i>

<< <i>Sheffield needs 500hr and then some. I don't think he's getting elected for his charming personality. >>

When Sheff speaks, people listen. >>

That's because what he says is usually too stupid to ignore.
    Travis

<< <i> JOHAN SANTANA >>

I totally agree. I can't believe I didn't think of him initially. He's already established himself as the dominant pitcher in his ERA. All he really has to do is keep it up.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    It is waaaaaaay too early to talk about Santana for the HOF. He has 86 wins.

Remember Dwight Gooden, Mark Fydrich, Wally Bunker (19-5 with a 2.64 ERA in 1964 at age 19-out of baseball at age 27 with 60 career wins), and Steve Avery? Pitchers are so susceptible to injury.
  • Sheffield should be a HoFer now...he doesn't need 500 HRs to get in...and while you may or may not agree with what he has to say, at least he has an opinion, and a backbone to voice it.
  • LOL Sheffield does indeed have opinions, sadly he is talking out of his butthole. Easily one of the dumbest, ill-informed players i have ever had the displeasure of hearing.

There has been talk and suspicion about Sheffield regarding steroids et. al.

I cant deny that he is a force at the plate and he has really stepped up and provided a superb veteran bat for the Tigers.

<< <i>It is waaaaaaay too early to talk about Santana for the HOF. He has 86 wins.

Remember Dwight Gooden, Mark Fydrich, Wally Bunker (19-5 with a 2.64 ERA in 1964 at age 19-out of baseball at age 27 with 60 career wins), and Steve Avery? Pitchers are so susceptible to injury. >>

It's way too early to talk about a lot of these guys, but that was what we were talking about for fun anyway . . . the young guys that we think that have the best shot at being in the hall someday.
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Clemens, Bonds and Maddux are locks on first ballot.

The rest are second ballot.

R--
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...