Home U.S. Coin Forum

For the Charlotte gold lovers-- 3rd edition of Doug Winter's book currently in process

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I was taking a look at the most recent blog on Doug Winter's site. He put this juicy tidbit in at the end regarding a new edition of his Charlotte book:

"As I mentioned above, this is a great time to start a collection of Charlotte half eagles. After the new third edition of my book on Charlotte coinage is released (hopefully by the end of 2007 or early in 2008) I would expect to see renewed interest in this area of the market. This will make it harder to buy nice coins, especially at the currently favorable market levels."

Given the number of standard references that Winter has written, I think that we should start to refer to him as "Dr. Winter". If another West Coast dealer can call himself Doctor, I think that Winter has probably earned that title as well.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• BajajimBajajim Posts: 529
    Thank's for the heads up!

• I'm definately looking forward to getting the new edition.

Although I doubt any Coin Dealer would like to have the nickname of doctor. image
  • Any update on Winter's Charlotte book?
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    i have to wonder how much new material one can put into such a book.
    i looked over the new orleans book online via google and it had good info
    but nothing that was overly amazing you could not find online.

will this book contain history of the area or just statistics that are updated?
    like this date has FOO extant, with most being in XF, with MS60 and up being
    a condition rarity?

i find that type of material very dry and dull especially when one can figure it
    out from previous auctions themself.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i have to wonder how much new material one can put into such a book.

a condition rarity?

i find that type of material very dry and dull especially when one can figure it
    out from previous auctions themself. >>

fc-- I know that another member of these boards wrote an introduction/essay that was in one of Winter's previous books. You should drop him a note and see if you can write something for the upcoming book. I am sure he would be interested in collaborating with someone who is knowledgable about the series. I think that would be neat.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

a condition rarity?

fc-- I know that another member of these boards wrote an introduction/essay that was in one of Winter's previous books. You should drop him a note and see if you can write something for the upcoming book. I am sure he would be interested in collaborating with someone who is knowledgable about the series. I think that would be neat. >>

i am afraid writing an introduction is not my calling in life and doing original research would
    be time consuming. i visited two local libraries for example, looking for material on gold coins
    and mint history and what i found was depressing. One would have to dig very deep to
    write something one cannot read on just a few websites alone. for example the southern
    gold club that many of us here are part of. their website contains good information.

i suppose one would have to be an ANA member to get the info that would be interesting
    in their private library. research online is almost impossible unless you want to copy other
    people's work.

i find it amazing that in this hobby, the amount of digging one has to do just to improve
    on others before him or her. almost like they have to find a cache of new material no other
    numis has found before.

i was just asking about it, considering others have read earlier editions and might know.
    i am not interested in getting a double dog dare to do it myself ;-)
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

a condition rarity?

One reason to update the book is that much of the information in the old book is out of date. Significant new pieces have come out of the woodwork, the grading environment is changed, and the available population of coins has shifted, sometimes disproportionately. Finally, there has been additional research in the area, performed by our own DaveG, which will be presented as a narrative in the book.

A new collector of Charlotte gold, especially anyone who has started collecting in the last five years, should be very interested in this book, and even the old crusty Charlotte gold collectors may find it worthwhile.

Me, I am undecided as to whether I will buy it, as I no longer play in the southern gold pool. I might purchase it just to read DaveG's article.
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Although the Zyrus Press website shows the book as being available in June, my own opinion is that the book will be available by the summer ANA.

I can't say how much the book has changed since the last edition since I don't have either of the two previous editions.

However, speaking of the updated New Orleans book, there was a big difference between the population estimates in the first and second editions. Although some of us find this information rather dry, it is nice to know if one's search for a particlar date in a particular grade is going to be just difficult or extremely difficult. Also, even though one could gather this information oneself, it's nice to have it all in one place. The updated New Orleans book also had more information on die varieties and, certainly, collecting by die variety has become a lot more popular in the last decade.

I don't think the updated Charlotte book will include a history of the mint, but it should include information on mint officers and the sources of the gold that was deposited at the mint. (I don't think the information on gold deposits has been published before.)

As far as digging up new information goes, certainly Roger Burdette has shown the way for all of us. However, given the rapid pace of digitization of 19th century source material, I expect that one can do an awful lot from one's desk chair. For example, other than QDB, I'm not sure that anyone has read through Hunt's Merchants Magazine or the other 19th century business publications, which contain a wealth of information on how coins were used.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

RYK,

While I'm flattered that you'd consider buying the new book just to read my contributions, I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

My contributions are actually rather modest this time - about five pages.

However, while you can find more information about the Charlotte Mint's officers in Clair Birdsall's 1988 book, The United States Branch Mint at Charlotte, North Carolina: Its History and Coinage, if you're interested in where the Charlotte Mint's gold came from, my essay will be, as far as I know, the first time that the information will be in one place. (I don't know why Birdsall didn't do this for his Charlotte book. I've been told that he did do it in his Dahlonega book.)

By the way, has anyone read Anthony Stautzenberger's 1976 book about the Charlotte Mint?

• << <i>By the way, has anyone read Anthony Stautzenberger's 1976 book about the Charlotte Mint? >>

Yes, I have read Stautzenberger's book.
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that I'll be a buyer... when it finally hits the streets, that is...

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Any updates on Winter's 3rd edition?

(Yes, the wait is killing me).image
    All I know is that the Zyrus Press website says the book will be released in September.

• Dave, I'm looking forward to your introduction as well.
    Maybe I will drop a note to Dr. Winter tomorrrow and ask. image
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it. I agree that quality Charlotte material will only get harder to find over time and now may be as good of a time to buy these in any grade.

Dave, I'm looking forward to your introduction as well.

Flattery will get you everywhere! image

By the way, I just checked the Zyrus Press website. It now says that the book will be released in October.

I heard from a reliable source that the book is at the printer and should be out sometime in the September/October timeframe. If Zyrus uses the same printer as another major numismatic house, the China slow boat should arrive in the States by 2010. image
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    YOU PROMISED!!!!

lol

The latest word, from a "reliable source," is that the book will be available in early November.

By the way, in case it hasn't already been mentioned, Doug Winter announced, in his latest newseltter, that he'd arranged to have 50 hardcover copies produced - each will be signed and numbered.

Well, now the Zyrus Press website says the book will be released in December.

Hope springs eternal. . .

The Zyrus Press website says the book is available for pre-order for $35.96!!

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spoke w/DW at the Baltimore show on Friday. The book was supposed to have been released by now, but there has been some delays w/printing. (Something about a Chinese printing firm and lead paint image ) Doug believes the issue has been resolved and hopes they'll be hitting the streets before Christmas. Time will tell...

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Thanks for the heads up. You gotta love southern gold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file