Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Your opinion: scratches on toning can get an NGC MS65?

Just bought a British trade dollar. It has a lot of scratches on the toning layer (most obvious on the field between the mantle and the boat) but is still graded as MS65 by NGC. I think it should not be graded. Since toning is a part of the coin and improperly cleaned coins are not graded, why this one? I wonder whether this is a normal case? I'd like to see you guys opinion. Thanks.

Ancient Chinese, Greeks and Romans

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Well, is it really "scratched off toning", or simply areas that haven't toned (like ridges of underlying fingerprints)?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you see and think maybe scratches are likely die polishing lines which are very common for this series. I have a feeling the coin is more attractive in hand

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is it possible to scratch the toning off a coin without leaving scratches in the metal?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>What you see and think maybe scratches are likely die polishing lines which are very common for this series. I have a feeling the coin is more attractive in hand >>

That's why I think it should not be graded.

• Options
    skingspanskingspan Posts: 519 ✭✭
    Interesting.....I have a British Trade $ that has a toning pattern that looks like scratches as well, might be something about the type.

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Interesting.....I have a British Trade $ that has a toning pattern that looks like scratches as well, might be something about the type.

image >>

wow! eerily similar! maybe something with the die?

• Options
    You might consider claiming the NGC guarantee on that coin. It's been a while since I compared the value of different grading service guarantees, but I believe both PCGS and NGC state that if a coin is resubmitted for grading, and it grades less than the original grade, they will, at their option, compensate for the difference in value or replace it with another coin (same in a respects, date, denomination, etc) that is graded at the original level.

When I read that guarantee, I always wondered what would be their source for difference in valuation, but whatever they use, an MS65 graded coin is Gem category, and anything less IS WAY LESS.

Just my two cents.
  • Options

<< <i>What you see and think maybe scratches are likely die polishing lines which are very common for this series. I have a feeling the coin is more attractive in hand >>

Thanks guys. I think the two coins support coinkat's claim: die polishing, not scratches.
  • Options

<< <i>

Thanks guys. I think the two coins support coinkat's claim: die polishing, not scratches. >>

Well, I take it back. I think the "scratches" on the two coins still look different.
    1. Those on mine don't appear on raised devices, but skingspan's continue onto the sail.
    2. scraches on my coin are not in consistent direction.