Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Another Wax Pack Question

The local card shop has bundles of 80's baseball from all different years, manufacturers, sets., that are bundled up. Looks like about 100 packs for about $10.00. Do you think it's worth purchasing a few bundles to go through to find some star cards for the future?

1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
#15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
#23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    At a dime a pack, you can't go wrong. You won't get any big time cards worthy of grading. But you can still have some fun opening up cards at a penny a piece, especially if you do not have any of these cards. Remember FUN should be a major factor with card collecting not just investing and resale. Some of the brand new packs are $5, $7, and $10.00 each. So you can't lose on 100 packs for this price...jay
  • Options
    I echo Jay's sentiment. Don't buy the packs with the intent to make a profit because you probably won't. One way to look at it - You get to open three packs for less than the cost of buying a stamp. After you're done, you may want to consider handing the cards out to some local kids if you don't want the cards.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I'm in agreement too. There's almost no downside risk to these cards. The chance is good that you'll average at least one card per pack that people would pay a dime for - from the rookies of the late '80s and early '90s to the late cards of superstars like Schmidt and Rose to mid-career cards of superstars like Ripken and Gwynn. They're also good cards to use if you want to collect autographs. Besides, there is even a chance of getting a valuable card in one of the packs - such as a Donruss Elite insert or a vintage card in '91 Topps.
    Just don't chew the gum. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I agree...

I opened a 1981 Fleer wax box this weekend. Had a blast. Picked it up in a trade. Much fun was had by all, or at least me...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    <<Do you think it's worth purchasing a few bundles to go through to find some star cards for the future>>

Okay, I volunteer to be the sole dissenter here. It sounds like you're thinking about spending 50 bucks on 500 packs of cards that are worth nothing. And it sounds like you want some long-term investment potential. I wouldn't do it.

If you wanted to purchase some packs purely for the joy of opening up packs of baseball cards (which is a wonderful and indescribable feeling), then i would say go for it. If you want to own star cards for the future, you can purchase quite a few copies of over-produced, near mint star cards for your $50-.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I agree with Mike Schmidt. Unless you've got that uncontrollable sympton, commonly known as "wax pack itch", I would spend my money elsewhere.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan