Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need some ID help...one roman and ?

I've got five coins that I cannot identify...I'd appreciate any help that you could give about ID or value.

The first is, I believe Roman and about 20mm in diameter...

The next four are all roughly the same size (15mm) and appear to be bronze. One is lozenge shaped, but it may be like that because it was trimmed or something. I attempted to orientate them so that letters are able to be read, but that may not be correct.

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    The first of these is a follis or fractional follis of Diocletian, commemorating his abdication in 305. Probably struck in Alexandria 307-310. Decent obverse, cruddy reverse value maybe $20.

The other are so-called widow's mites, bronze prutahs of Judea sruck in the 1st and 2nd centuries AD. I bought 11 of these of various types in similar condition in a frame last fall for $80-. I'm not that knowledgable on these but none seem to be better types (such as of Pontius Pilate) but all are probably identifible. Retail maybe $8-12 each? Significant and fun "coins of the Bible."

Hope my 2 cents helps.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one certainly is Roman; it's one of the "abdication series" of coins issued in the name of former emperor Diocletian after he retired from office in 308 AD.

The obverse legend reads D N DIOCLETIANO FELICI. Reverse legend would read (if it were all present) PROVIDENTIA DEORVM, "Divine Providence (or Forethought)". The two figures are the personifications Providentia and Quies (Quiet, rest, inactivity). Coins with this theme were struck from most mints of the empire. The coin's theme basically translates to: "Because of the divine forethought of the Emperor (in devising the Tetrarchy system of government) the Emperor can retire in peace". I can't make out the mintmark at the base of the reverse. I can't find an exact match on Wildwinds, but this one is pretty close; the only difference is the obverse legend ends in BEATISS rather than FELICI.

The last four all look like leptons of Roman Judaea. Here's my best guess at attributing them:

No. 1 is the oldest, issued under Tiberius when Valerius Gratus was Procurator. Obverse is hard to make out, but the reverse is definitely a palm branch with IOV-LIA, the name of Tiberius' mother, Livia Julia, and the date Year 11 (= 24 AD); probably something like Hendin 647. Here's the page from Wildwinds of Valerius Gratus coins.

Nos. 2 and 3 are of Emperor Nero, time of Procurator Porcius Festus; The date and the Emperor's name is the only text ("NERONOS" on one side and "KAISAROS" and the date on the other. All the known examples are dated Year 5 (= 59 AD), though I can't see the date on yours. Hendin 653. Examples here.

No. 4 is a "crossed shields" type of Claudius, under Procurator Antonius Felix, dated Year 14 (= 54 AD). Hendin 652, Examples here.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)