Home Sports Talk
Options

Chris Benoit dead

mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
Chris Benoit Has Died
NEWS: |WWE| WWE is reporting that Chris Benoit and his family were found dead in their homes today. Benoit was supposed to wrestle for the ECW Title last night at Vengeance, but had to fly home due to a family emergency. Right now now details are known as to what happened. Despite WWE’s latest storyline of Vince McMahon dying, Benoit’s death is not a joke and is not part of any storyline. Tonight’s RAW will be a special tribute show to Chris Benoit and his family.

Very sad. What’s even more sad is that his family is dead as well.

Again, this is not a storyline like the death of Vince.

So --- do professional wrestlers have the shortest lifespans of anything resembling an athlete. (Yes, it is all fixed, but they are in pretty damn good shape)
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Chris Benoit Has Died
    NEWS: |WWE| WWE is reporting that Chris Benoit and his family were found dead in their homes today. Benoit was supposed to wrestle for the ECW Title last night at Vengeance, but had to fly home due to a family emergency. Right now now details are known as to what happened. Despite WWE’s latest storyline of Vince McMahon dying, Benoit’s death is not a joke and is not part of any storyline. Tonight’s RAW will be a special tribute show to Chris Benoit and his family.

Very sad. What’s even more sad is that his family is dead as well.

Again, this is not a storyline like the death of Vince.

So --- do professional wrestlers have the shortest lifespans of anything resembling an athlete. (Yes, it is all fixed, but they are in pretty damn good shape) >>

Chris was truly one of my favorites. A performer who actually had skill in a wrestling age filled with stomps, chops, and kicks. Plus, he seemed like a real good and genuine guy. He will be missed.

While most wrestler deaths have been attributed to unhealthy and taxing lifestyles coupled with painkiller overdoses, this is a new case all its own - it was his family that died with him.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So --- do professional wrestlers have the shortest lifespans of anything resembling an athlete. (Yes, it is all fixed, but they are in pretty damn good shape) >>

Fer real. Not that I've watched wrestling since I was about 14 or care much about it now, but one would think they'd be a little more judicious with some of the storylines given the number of real-life tragedies that have hit professional wrestling.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Shocking news. I just got home and could not believe it when I found out. I remember when Eddie Guerrero died. Chris took it real hard.

Very sad news for sure!

aconte
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wow - I am shocked. I haven't watched wrestling in several years, but I used to, and definitely remember him. He was one of the guys that was a good "technical wrestler" and a top worker for the WWE. This is being investigated as a homicide, along with the slayings of his family. I'm sure a lot more will come out about this.

Very sad.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow - I am shocked. I haven't watched wrestling in several years, but I used to, and definitely remember him. He was one of the guys that was a good "technical wrestler" and a top worker for the WWE. This is being investigated as a homicide, along with the slayings of his family. I'm sure a lot more will come out about this. >>

Latest I've seen has it being investigated as a murder-suicide per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WWE wrestler Chris Benoit and family found dead

BY ALFONSO A. CASTILLO
    alfonso.castillo@newsday.com

June 25, 2007, 8:58 PM EDT

Renowned pro wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old-son, were found dead Monday afternoon in their Fayetville, Ga. home, Atlanta police said.

Police would not give any details on how Benoit, 40, his wife Nancy, and son Daniel died, other than to say they were not shot to death, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported Monday. Authorities are investigating the deaths.

The news came just a day after Benoit mysteriously pulled out of a World Wrestling Entertainment pay per view event, during which he was expected to be crowned Extreme Championship Wrestling world champion. Various pro wrestling news sources reported that Benoit was unable to appear at the event due to a family emergency.

"There are no further details at this time, other than the Benoit family residence is currently being investigated by local authorities," the WWE said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was a 22-year ring veteran and perennial favorite of wrestling purists, who praised his high-intensity style and technical acumen. His aggressive wrestling technique earned him the nicknames "The Crippler" and "The Rabid Wolverine." In 2000 and 2004, he was named Oustanding Wrestler of the Year by the Wrestling Observer newsletter and in 2004 he was named Wrestler of the Year by Pro Wrestling Illustrated magazine.

The Edmonton, Canada native trained to become a wrestler in Calgary, and honed his skills in Japan before becoming a regular on U.S. national promotions in the mid-1990s. Benoit's career highlight took place in New York, when he won his first World Wrestling Entertainment world heavyweight championship in Madison Square Garden in the main event of WrestleMania XX.

Benoit cried as he celebrated in the ring with his wife and son, as well as best friend, wrestler Eddie Guerrero, who died in 2005.

"Wrestling has consumed my life," Benoit said in a 2004 WWE career retrospective video. "Wrestling is my mistress. It's my passion. It defines who I am as a person."

WWE last night canceled its scheduled live 3-hour "Monday Night RAW" program, which coincidentally was originally billed as a "memorial service" for WWE chairman Vince McMahon, whose character was recently killed off in a controversial scripted storyline.

McMahon opened the show from center ring in an empty arena and clarified that Benoit and his family had died "in reality." McMahon called Benoit "one of the greatest WWE superstars of all-time."

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it's going to be ugly.. What a shame image

Sad part is that I'm sure many people, myself included, at first thought it was another McMahon like act.

Even a sadder shame image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    How awful. I'm going to guess that either a) he recently found out he was broke, or b) his wife had told him she was leaving him. It sounds like a murder/suicide, although you really hope that isn't the case.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I watch wrestling only here and there these days but Benoit was definately one of the more entertaining ones to watch when it came to mat skills. It's a real tragedy to see not only him but his wife and 7 year old little one. I will be interested in seeing the outcome of what happened.

Edit: WWE.com is reporting that this was a double murder-suicide. Apparently Benoit killed his wife and child over the weekend then did himself in on Monday.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I was very shocked when I first heard about it and was starting to get really sad about losing a favorite of mine.....but then, I started to feel really confused. If he killed his wife and child, I cannot feel remorse for him taking his own life.

The full details are not out yet, but what has come out is leaning to that direction. I hope not, but we'll see.

It was reported that there were no guns involved or stab wounds either. So, it could be poisoning or something else. All three bodies were found in different rooms in the home.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Edit: WWE.com is reporting that this was a double murder-suicide. Apparently Benoit killed his wife and child over the weekend then did himself in on Monday. >>

Oh carp [sic].

I have a feeling the media will have a field day with possible roid-rage scenarios.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955
    Sewer-cide...

Every bit as important a story as Paris Hilton's release...NOT!

imageWWE

Wrestling hasn't been "real" since Flying Fred! image
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Apparently it's a double murder-suicide
  • Options

<< <i>Apparently it's a double murder-suicide >>

" Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard told The Associated Press a gun was not used in any of the deaths. But he declined to say how the three died.

"We're pretty sure we know, but we want to confirm it with the crime lab," Ballard said early Tuesday."

Probably "death by folding chair, table and or step-ladder"....

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Apparently it's a double murder-suicide >>

" Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard told The Associated Press a gun was not used in any of the deaths. But he declined to say how the three died.

"We're pretty sure we know, but we want to confirm it with the crime lab," Ballard said early Tuesday."

Probably "death by folding chair, table and or step-ladder"....

image >>

Sorry but I don't see any humor in three tragic deaths, especially with one being a child.
  • Options
    maybe the kid was the sewer-cide? Couldn't live with the fact his dad was a "professional wrestler".
  • Options
    The guy is rich, famous, in the prime of his life, etc., and he does this - I just can't comprehend it. Certainly it almost had to be "his wife was leaving him" or "his wife was cheating on him" but still...murder and suicide, and killing his kid as well? Just plain crazy.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    No matter what you think of professional wrestling, I don't think jokes about this situation are appropriate.
  • Options

<< <i>No matter what you think of professional wrestling, I don't think jokes about this situation are appropriate. >>

""Wrestling has consumed my life," Benoit said in a 2004 WWE career retrospective video. "Wrestling is my mistress. It's my passion. It defines who I am as a person."

How does one take a statement like this or anything else about the person seriously? I say good riddance.

• Options
    He was a professional wrestler and part of his "skit".

To laugh, make jokes about it, or whatever is beyond pathetic because a wife and 10-year old kid are dead.

If you get bammed, that would be good riddance.
  • Options
    How about that it was his career and livelihood? Have you ever seen high school, college, or olympic wrestling? Ok so professional wrestling is fake but where do you think they started? Is it so wrong that anyone enjoy it?

And the point of your stupid posts are that you are goofing on the death of his wife and 7 year old child. It's a sad situation no matter what you do or who you are.

Tasteless comments like that just aren't funny and neither are you.
  • Options

<< <i>How about that it was his career and livelihood? Have you ever seen high school, college, or olympic wrestling? Ok so professional wrestling is fake but where do you think they started? Is it so wrong that anyone enjoy it?

And the point of your stupid posts are that you are goofing on the death of his wife and 7 year old child. It's a sad situation no matter what you do or who you are.

Tasteless comments like that just aren't funny and neither are you. >>

He's obviously a troll, and posts like this just encourage him.

Axtell would have gone away years before he was banned if everyone has simply shown a modicum of self restraint and ignored him. If you- or anyone else, I'm not singling you out-- decide to engage this goofball then I hope you hold yourself at least partially accountable for the fallout.
  • Options
    more details

Superstar wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, according to a law enforcement source quoted by the Associated Press.

The couple and their 7-year-old son were found dead Monday in their home on Green Meadow Lane just east of Peachtree City.Nancy Benoit and her son, Daniel, were killed during the weekend and Benoit died Monday, police said.

Benoit and his wife went through a period of turbulence early in their marriage that included her claiming domestic abuse and filing for divorce, court records show.

The couple, who had lived together since 1997 and were married in 2000, had separated when Nancy Benoit, a wrestling manager who worked under the stage name "Woman," filed for divorce in May 2003.

In the accompanying petition for protection from domestic abuse, Nancy Benoit, 43, claimed she was intimidated by threats of violence from her 40-year-old, 5-foot-10, 220-pound husband, who was known as the "Canadian Crippler."

---

The scary thing is that he did these things, presumably, and yet on the tribute show last night there was a guy who said he'd trust Benoit with his life -- and his kids' lives.

Maybe it's a good thing he never had to.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    that is very unfortunate

must have had some mental problem or substance problem

you never know, i guess, my heart goes out the families
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    chris benoit was an giant midget.. look at his pictures, he looks like a huge elf..

im sad about his family, especially the little boy..

but make fun of the mighty midget all you want..

·p_A·
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I just don't understand why these a-holes have to take other people with them. If you want to kill yourself, be my guest, but let the others live.

• Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Can someone say Roidrage
  • Options

<< <i>I just don't understand why these a-holes have to take other people with them. If you want to kill yourself, be my guest, but let the others live. >>

True. But given the apparent amount of time between when he killed his wife and son and the time he hung himself, he may not have intended to kill himself.

It's a reasonable suspicion (albeit speculation) that in a fit of (roid?) rage he killed his wife and son -- perhaps she was planning to leave him and take their son? -- and then may have hit reality after he did it...and after thinking about how to handle the situation he was about face, decided that suicide was his best option. Just speculation, but given the timeline it would be a reasonable supposition.
  • Options
    Roid Rage.

Ridiculous to even call this a sport. Just muscle bound freaks acting out bad scripts. the staged death of McMahon a grat example of the current level of stupidity permeating professional wrestling.

Double murder/suicide... I cant say that I am the least bit surprised by this.

Too bad this moron didnt off himself FIRST and leave his wife and kid alone.
  • Options

<< <i>Too bad this moron didnt off himself FIRST and leave his wife and kid alone. >>

Agreed. Nice that the WWE devoted 3 hours to pay tribute to this piece of garbage.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Too bad this moron didnt off himself FIRST and leave his wife and kid alone. >>

Agreed. Nice that the WWE devoted 3 hours to pay tribute to this piece of garbage. >>

It was announced at 2:30 PM yesterday that Benoit was dead. I don't think the WWE had all the details surrounding his death prior to making the decision to air a 3 hour tribute. If they did, they are scum...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    They long ago established themselves as scum.

As for the Benoit situation, I don't think it took Columbo to realize the details would not be pretty. Not that I saw it, but the WWE probably should've used some caution before airing a tribute - especially one that included someone saying they'd trust Benoit with his wife and kids.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I'm shocked at the news, staring at my computer. Benoit dead?

Hard to know what to say...the guy had fame, fortune, still a young guy, did everything he could in his career, how do you kill yourself if you're a mult millionaire doing what you love everyday?

I use to love wrestling in the 80's, watched WCW in the 90's...but the business is just a sick wasteland now. Maybe time to close the whole sport down?
  • Options

<< <i>As for the Benoit situation, I don't think it took Columbo to realize the details would not be pretty. Not that I saw it, but the WWE probably should've used some caution before airing a tribute - especially one that included someone saying they'd trust Benoit with his wife and kids. >>

I thought they should have waited for the results of the investigation before lavishing him with praise and honor -- just in case it ended like this.

Note that the police never mentioned anything about robbery, or about the place being ransacked, or any forced entry. Add to that a dead entire family inside , and it doesn't take Barnaby Jones to figure out with 99% likelihood it was a murder-suicide. Yeah, that's Monday-morning quarterbacking, but it still seems pretty obvious.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As for the Benoit situation, I don't think it took Columbo to realize the details would not be pretty. Not that I saw it, but the WWE probably should've used some caution before airing a tribute - especially one that included someone saying they'd trust Benoit with his wife and kids. >>

I thought they should have waited for the results of the investigation before lavishing him with praise and honor -- just in case it ended like this.

Note that the police never mentioned anything about robbery, or about the place being ransacked, or any forced entry. Add to that a dead entire family inside , and it doesn't take Barnaby Jones to figure out with 99% likelihood it was a murder-suicide. Yeah, that's Monday-morning quarterbacking, but it still seems pretty obvious. >>

You think McMahon didn't have this all figured out before doing the tribute? I mean no disrespect to Boopotts, but if Boo could figure it out then certainly McMahon who is a lot smarter than Boo, me, or anyone else here...could figure it out. There was no way a "tribute" could have been done after these facts became public, so it had to be done right before. Perhaps in McMahon's mind to lessen the impact of the possible harm it could bring to his wrestling empire in the way of negativity towards the personal "wholesome images" of his wrestlers outside the ring in the real world. With McMahon it's all about the money - nothing else.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    If you get bammed, that would be good riddance.

2nd motion
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Note that the police never mentioned anything about robbery, or about the place being ransacked, or any forced entry. Add to that a dead entire family inside , and it doesn't take Barnaby Jones to figure out with 99% likelihood it was a murder-suicide. Yeah, that's Monday-morning quarterbacking, but it still seems pretty obvious. >>

You think McMahon didn't have this all figured out before doing the tribute? I mean no disrespect to Boopotts, but if Boo could figure it out then certainly McMahon who is a lot smarter than Boo, me, or anyone else here...could figure it out. There was no way a "tribute" could have been done after these facts became public, so it had to be done right before. Perhaps in McMahon's mind to lessen the impact of the possible harm it could bring to his wrestling empire in the way of negativity towards the personal "wholesome images" of his wrestlers outside the ring in the real world. With McMahon it's all about the money - nothing else. >>

I agree with you regarding McMahon and his money. Makes you wonder--the public is upset about the death of three people. Is McMahon upset about that? or the fact that his own storyline of being dead is now sh!tcanned and he had to refund all those tickets in Corpus Christi
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

You think McMahon didn't have this all figured out before doing the tribute? I mean no disrespect to Boopotts, but if Boo could figure it out then certainly McMahon who is a lot smarter than Boo, me, or anyone else here...could figure it out. There was no way a "tribute" could have been done after these facts became public, so it had to be done right before. Perhaps in McMahon's mind to lessen the impact of the possible harm it could bring to his wrestling empire in the way of negativity towards the personal "wholesome images" of his wrestlers outside the ring in the real world. With McMahon it's all about the money - nothing else. >>

I agree with you regarding McMahon and his money. Makes you wonder--the public is upset about the death of three people. Is McMahon upset about that? or the fact that his own storyline of being dead is now sh!tcanned and he had to refund all those tickets in Corpus Christi >>

I think your comment is spot on - there is no doubt in my mind that the first thought from McMahon about this incident was that it f*ed up the WWE story line (and profit) about his WWE "character" being blown up.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    "If you get bammed, that would be good riddance. " I agree with Stown. No matter what your opinion concerning Wrasslin those comments are sick!
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    Gee Boopots, thanks for your infinite wisdom!
  • Options
    Cops eye 'roid rage in wrestler's murder-suicide

Ex-star Benoit killed wife, son, self in grisly crime spread out over weekend

Sheriff: Wrestler killed wife, son, himself
    June 26: Fayette County, Ga. officials Lt. Tommy Pope and District Attorney Scott Ballard say pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room.

Updated: 48 minutes ago
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine pulley, authorities said Tuesday.

Investigators found anabolic steroids in the house and want to know whether the muscle man nicknamed “The Canadian Crippler” was unhinged by the bodybuilding drugs, which can cause paranoia, depression and explosive outbursts known as “roid rage.”

Authorities offered no motive for the killings, which were spread out over a weekend, and would not discuss Benoit’s state of mind. No suicide note was found.

“In a community like this it’s bizarre to have a murder-suicide, especially involving the death of a 7-year-old,” District Attorney Scott Ballard said. “I don’t think we’ll ever be able to wrap our minds around this.”

The Montreal-born Benoit was one of the stars of the WWE wrestling circuit and was known for his wholesome family-man image. His wife, Nancy, was a wrestling stage manager who worked under the name “Woman.” They married in 2000.

When he won the world heavyweight championship in 2004, Benoit (pronounced ben-WAH) hoisted the belt over his head and invited his wife and child into the ring to celebrate. Asked by the Calgary Sun that year to name his worst vice: Benoit replied: “Quality time with my family is a big vice. It’s something I’ll fight for and crave.”

Despite those appearances, Nancy Benoit had filed for a divorce in 2003, saying the couple’s three-year marriage was irrevocably broken and alleging “cruel treatment.” She later dropped the complaint, as well as a request for a restraining order in which she charged that the 5-foot-10, 220-pound Benoit had threatened her and had broken furniture in their home.

In the divorce filing, she said Benoit made more than $500,000 a year as a professional wrestler and asked for permanent custody of Daniel and child support. In response, Benoit sought joint custody.

The bodies were found Monday afternoon in the house, off a gravel road in this suburb about 20 miles south of Atlanta.

Police seek motive in wrestler's murder-suicide
    June 26: Georgia authorities say the deaths of wrestler Chris Benoit and his family appear to be a murder-suicide. NBC's Chris Clackum reports.
    NBC News Channel

Benoit’s 43-year-old wife was killed Friday in an upstairs family room, her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle, Ballard said. Daniel was probably killed late Saturday or early Sunday, the body found in his bed, the district attorney said.

Benoit, 40, apparently hanged himself several hours and as long as a day later, Ballard said. His body was found in a downstairs weight room, his body found hanging from the pulley of a piece of exercise equipment.

A closed Bible was placed next to the bodies of the wife and son, authorities said.

The prosecutor said he found it “bizarre” that the wrestler spread out the killings over a weekend and appeared to remain in the house for up to a day with the bodies.

Toxicology test results may not be available for weeks or even months, Ballard said. As for whether steroids played a role in the crime, he said: “We don’t know yet. That’s one of the things we’ll be looking at.”

Steroids have been linked to the deaths of several professional wrestlers in recent years. Eddie Guerrero, one of Benoit’s best friends, died in 2005 from heart failure linked to long-term steroid use.

The father of Curt “Mr. Perfect” Hennig blamed steroids and painkillers for Hennig’s drug overdose death in 2003. Davey Boy Smith, the “British Bulldog,” died in 2002 from heart failure that a coroner said was probably caused by steroids.

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., issued a statement Tuesday evening saying steroids “were not and could not be related to the cause of death.”

“The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage,” the company said, adding that Benoit tested negative April 10, the last time he was tested for drugs.

Benoit was a quiet, roughhewn figure amid the glitz and bluster of pro wrestling. He performed under his real name, eschewed scripted personas and didn’t bother to fix a gap where he had lost one of his front teeth. (According to the WWE Web site, he lost the tooth while roughhousing with his pet Rottweiler.)

His signature move was the “Crippler Crossface,” in which he would lock his hands around an opponent’s face and stretch his neck.

“You always rooted for him, because he was a good guy and he overcame the odds,” said Dave Meltzer, editor of the Wrestling Observer, a weekly news letter. “It’s like if you watched ‘Rocky,’ and in the end it comes out that Rocky killed his wife and his son.”

Benoit met his wife in the 1990s when she was married to rival wrestler Kevin Sullivan. As part of the scripted rivalry, Benoit and Nancy were supposed to act as if they were having an affair. A real romance blossomed, and she left Sullivan for Benoit.

Neighbors said the Benoits led a low-key lifestyle.

“We would see Chris walking in his yard from time to time. He wasn’t rude, but he wasn’t really outwardly warm,” said Alaina Jones, who lives across the street.

Jimmy Baswell, who was Benoit’s driver for more than five years, placed a white wreath at their gate. “They always seemed like they were the happiest people,” he said.

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who had received “several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning.”

“He was like a family member to me, and everyone in my family is taking it real hard,” said fellow Canadian Bret Hart, a five-time champion.

The WWE canceled its live “Monday Night RAW” card in Corpus Christi, Texas, after the bodies were discovered.

Monday’s show was supposed to be a memorial service for WWE owner Vince McMahon. In a storyline concocted by the WWE, McMahon was supposedly “assassinated” in a limousine explosion two weeks earlier. McMahon appeared at the beginning of Monday’s telecast and acknowledged the bombing was made up.

The McMahon storyline has been dropped.
  • Options

<< <i>The McMahon storyline has been dropped. >>

Well, jeez, I certainly hope so. There's no entertainment value in that one any more.

This is sounding more and more ritualistic. I'm starting to see what investigators were getting at when they called it bizarre.

A small part of me wonders if Benoit timed this to get at McMahon and his stupid fake death of his "character."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The McMahon storyline has been dropped. >>

Well, jeez, I certainly hope so. There's no entertainment value in that one any more.

This is sounding more and more ritualistic. I'm starting to see what investigators were getting at when they called it bizarre.

A small part of me wonders if Benoit timed this to get at McMahon and his stupid fake death of his "character." >>

Hard to say. The whole thing is beginning to look more surreal with every passing hour.

BTW, Ziggy, if you ever get a chance be sure to check out the documentary that was done on Bret Hart. He's a pro wrestler from Canada, and was a very big deal in the 1980's. It's a fantastic special-- very thoughtful and balanced. I saw it about 8 years ago and it's stayed with me all this time.
  • Options
    Dude, what the eff?!?!

ESPN link

<< <i>In an interview with ESPN.com on Tuesday, Ballard indicated that the boy had needle marks in his arms. The district attorney said he believed that the boy had been given growth hormones for some time because the family considered him undersized. >>

• Options

<< <i>Dude, what the eff?!?!

ESPN link

<< <i>In an interview with ESPN.com on Tuesday, Ballard indicated that the boy had needle marks in his arms. The district attorney said he believed that the boy had been given growth hormones for some time because the family considered him undersized. >>

image >>

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    I'm in Atlanta this week on business.

The local news coverage has been interesting.

The release of multiple details on the case so early after the discovery of the bodies certainly shows that police have no doubt about how this transpired.
  • Options
    Saw a story on Fox News about Nancy's death was posted on Wikipedia BEFORE the cops knew any of 'em were dead!! And for further intrigue, the computer was traced to Stamford,CT - home of the WWE!!

WTF is going on here??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287194,00.html
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Local Atlanta news this afternoon says that the DEA raided Benoit's doctor's office today after finding prescriptions from the doc in the home.
  • Options
    this entire situation is just unbelievable - ive been a wrestling fan for many years and still cant believe this is going on

this is probably just a huge co-incidence but a few weeks ago a former wwe womens champ and then valet sensational sherri died at age 49 - the strange part is there is no cause of death determined in her case yet, police have said no foul play but not natural causes either - sherri's promotional mgr was another formal wrestler named kevin sullivan - the wierd part is sullivan was also nancy benoits first husband - nothing has been officially tied to him in any of the cases, it just makes you think what he may know
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    2008 ring kings cut signatures
    any Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Keith Hernandez cards in (10)
  • Options

Yes, insensitive given that an innocent boy lost his life, but the image is pretty ironic.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris