Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is a 2009-S VDB Lincoln cent in our future? With wheat ears?

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
Only 1 1/2 years until the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent.

Maybe the mint will wow us with a 1st year retro 09-S VDB Lincoln cent.

Any word thru the grapevine on what could be coming down the pike in 2009?

Comments

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 1 1/2 years until the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent.

It's not the 100th anniversary of the Lincon cent, it's the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth.

I would assume something is in the works, at the Mint.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    I thought I read somewhere that there was going to be (4) different reverse available to commemerate this issue?

• fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    god please no. please do not redo the wheat design.

cant the mint have a original idea?

i hate moderns and the thought of more badly thought out moderns.

it is like the only coin one can collect our of circ right now
    that goes back to 1909.
    it is still special to many of us.

i enjoy the real deal, not a putz of a copy on a modern coin.
  • CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    The answer my friends, is in the legislation

Text
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561

<< <i>
    Maybe the mint will wow us with a 1st year retro 09-S VDB Lincoln cent.

>>

That would be very, very sweet! It has to be in the original composition of 95% copper, 5% tin and zinc.

Here ya go...Two coin set...2009 VDB MPL and 2009-S VDB Business strike! This set would be the mint's all-time best seller!

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope not.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say a SERIES of pennies. Oh, maybe 50 to 100 different designs. Lincoln in his cabin, Lincoln hitchiking to school, debating Douglas, shaving, standing at Gettysburg, blocking his hat, boinking Mary Todd, etc.

Something to add INTEREST to coin collecting.

But keep it only to proofs, mattes, reverse proofs and business strikes.

• ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    I love the idea of releaseing a MPL of whatever design they choose. That would be an excellent product.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Hmmm...lots of thinly veiled sarcasm toward Mr. Lincoln's wheatback here I see. image
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • cvan68cvan68 Posts: 113
    I am confident they will produce whatever they figure they can make the most money off of...maybe even copper, silver, gold AND platinum versions. Just think of it!
  • Get rid of the penny

once and for all

it's not worth the cost to mint the dang thing anymore.

We need a 4 cent piece- which we have NEVER had.

or maybe a 6 cent- we could put GW on it.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a $6.66 piece shared with Reagan and Bush one.
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This part could be really cool.

SEC. 5. NUMISMATIC PENNIES WITH THE SAME METALLIC CONTENT AS THE 1909 PENNY.

The Secretary of the Treasury shall issue 1-cent coins in 2009 with the exact metallic content as the 1-cent coin contained in 1909 in such number as the Secretary determines to be appropriate for numismatic purposes.

SEC. 6. SENSE OF THE CONGRESS.

It is the sense of the Congress that the original Victor David Brenner design for the 1-cent coin was a dramatic departure from previous American coinage that should be reproduced, using the original form and relief of the likeness of Abraham Lincoln, on the 1-cent coins issued in 2009.
    END

A 5th reverse with the wheat would me great with me. Congress would have to make this happen.

Larry

• <<<<<Only 1 1/2 years until the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent. >>>>>

2008 is the is the 100th anniversary 2009 will be 101 yrs of Lincolns.
    The Legislation:

SEC. 3. REDESIGN OF LINCOLN CENT FOR 2009.

(a) In General- During the year 2009, the Secretary of the Treasury shall issue 1-cent coins in accordance with the following design specifications:

(1) OBVERSE- The obverse of the 1-cent coin shall continue to bear the Victor David Brenner likeness of President Abraham Lincoln.

(2) REVERSE- The reverse of the coins shall bear 4 different designs each representing a different aspect of the life of Abraham Lincoln, such as--

(A) his birth and early childhood in Kentucky;

(B) his formative years in Indiana;

(C) his professional life in Illinois; and

(D) his presidency, in Washington, D.C.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    4 designs x 2 metal combinations x 2 finishes (business & satin) x 2 mints + 8 S-mint proofs (4 designs x 2 metal combinations = 8 possible variations) = 40 COINS

• callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And a $6.66 piece shared with Reagan and Bush one. >>

I think the two Hillary would be more appropriate for that.
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I say a SERIES of pennies. Oh, maybe 50 to 100 different designs. Lincoln in his cabin, Lincoln hitchiking to school, debating Douglas, shaving, standing at Gettysburg, blocking his hat, boinking Mary Todd, etc.

Something to add INTEREST to coin collecting.

But keep it only to proofs, mattes, reverse proofs and business strikes. >>

LMAO.............image
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    It could be read from para 6 that a 5th design, the original (Wheat, VDB, Original relief and metal) is already authorized.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be very intresting... Unless the US Treasury decides to eliminate the 1 cent penny all together.
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Only 1 1/2 years until the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent.

It's not the 100th anniversary of the Lincon cent, it's the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth.

I would assume something is in the works, at the Mint. >>

actually it is both.
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "actually it is both"

• SciotoScioto Posts: 955

<< <i>

SEC. 5. NUMISMATIC PENNIES WITH THE SAME METALLIC CONTENT AS THE 1909 PENNY.

The Secretary of the Treasury shall issue 1-cent coins in 2009 with the exact metallic content as the 1-cent coin contained in 1909 in such number as the Secretary determines to be appropriate for numismatic purposes.

>>

484,000? Just like the 1909-S VDB

GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>4 designs x 2 metal combinations x 2 finishes (business & satin) x 2 mints + 8 S-mint proofs (4 designs x 2 metal combinations = 8 possible variations) = 40 COINS image >>

Oh YEAH!! That'll be a $400 set direct from the mint in a cherry wood container.image

• << <i>It could be read from para 6 that a 5th design, the original (Wheat, VDB, Original relief and metal) is already authorized. >>

Paragraph 6 is just part of the "Sense of the Congress" which is explainatory material and not regulatory and even so it only discusses the desire to retain the Lincoln portrait. It doesn't mandate a 5th reverse.

<< <i><< 4 designs x 2 metal combinations x 2 finishes (business & satin) x 2 mints + 8 S-mint proofs (4 designs x 2 metal combinations = 8 possible variations) = 40 COINS >>

Actually just 32 at the moment because currently the mint does not have a numismatic product that has both cent coins in it that has the coins with the business strike finish, just the mint set and it uses the satin finish. All of the business strike finish coins will be made of whatever we are using for cents at the time.

I've thought I should suggest to the mint that they should make a special set for that year that had all 32 cent varieties in one place and sell it for $19.95 (Of couse that would make a new numismatic item that they could put the other 8 copper business strike finish in for a total of 40 coins and the last 8 would only be available in that set, which would increase demand and mint profits.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file