Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Question about "Basic" player sets...

Are these sets supposed to contain Oddball and regional issues? I always thought the basic set was just comprised of the base cards from the main manufacturers (Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Score, UD, etc...).

Comments

• They originally were supposed to contain mainstream issues (Topps, Donruss, Fleer etc) but some of the sets that have been created latel have had oddball issues such as discs and stickers. I have one of those sets. (Ken Griffey Sr.) and made my objections to PSA in regards to this and was essentially told they consider them mainstream cards and they stay in the set.

Disgruntled Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    That'd kind of odd, looking at the Cal Ripken "Basic" set, it is riddled with cards that aren't mainstream issues, 7-11 discs, Drakes, MSA discs, Milton Bradley, Fleer stamps, Fleer box sets, 86 Meadow Gold, and his minor league issues. And that is just what I've seen through 1986 so far. Seems more like an advanced basic set. It's not that I won't collect these cards (I have a master set registered as well), it's just that it doesn't seem very basic.
  • I concur. I know that change is good and it helps the hobby but it also helps PSA's profits. My issue is that PSA tends to have rules that aren't clear cut and subject to change with what appears to be a whim. I'm sure they are well thought out changes by PSA but it seems more often then not the change is good for the $$$ and not the collector.

Disgruntled Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• SalinasSalinas Posts: 326
    This has been ongoing. There have been other discussions on this. Search in the past threads.
    I brought this to PSA's attention with the Rickey Henderson Basic and Al Oliver Basic sets. I had no luck on shrinking the set to what most of us think is "basic" and kicking out cards what most of us would think should only be in the "master" set.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • The Jerry Rice Basic set I am knee deep into contains over 150 "mainstream" cards.

Basically, whoever is in the set can request a card addition to the set, decide basic or master, and assign it a point value, no vote. You end up with sets riddled with hard to find cards assigned very high values. I think a vote of the top 5 should happen for additions to sets, but imagine the paperwork for that.

• tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    The Ripken Basic currently contains 489 items... image

Also, sorry if I'm reviving a topic that has been beaten to death, just used that handy dandy search feature and read through some of the old discussions on this.