Home Sports Talk
Options

Sad news rod beck dies at 38 years old.

kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
way to young to die. my thoughts go out to his family. cause of death unkown right now.

link

Comments

• Options
    Wow, he was fun to watch back in the day.
  • Options
    Intense competitor, but didn't he develop arm problems at a seemingly young age?

• Options
    it sure didn't help that the Cubs ran him out there about 140 days in a row in 98 to win the wild card- come to think of it, didn't Kerry Wood have incredible pitch counts that year before he broke down?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Intense competitor, but didn't he develop arm problems at a seemingly young age? >>

Yeah, he did.

He left his comeback rather abruptly a few years back for "personal reasons," which was likely related to substance abuse. I suppose it's possible that he spiraled downhill and never recovered...

As a Giants fan, it was amazing to watch the regularity with which Beck got himself into trouble and then got out of it. I don't know if I've ever seen a reliever so consistently able to pitch his way out of a big jam he created for himself than Beck in his prime with the Giants.

• Options
    But my gosh he was a competitor- he took the ball that year even when he knew his arm was hanging down to his ankles. I loved that guy.
    RIP Shooter.
  • Options
    Another one year Cub wonder, Mitch Williams seemed to do that quite a bit as well.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I remember his time pitching in Boston - and I had forgotten how much work he put in for the Cubs that year.

Very sad, 38 years old is way too young.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    RIP

that's a shame
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started