Home U.S. Coin Forum

1803- the third in an irregular series on draped bust halves

1803 was a pivotal year for our fledgling country. As our third president, Thomas Jefferson had drawn us ever closer to Great Britain as his enchantment with the French revolution had faded. We received favorable fishing rights off Canadian waters, conducted a large shipping trade with the West Indies to the peril of British interests, and enjoyed the protection of the British navy on the high seas. This was about to change as Napoleon sought to undermine our close relationship with Britain, with whom France would again be at war.

Napoleon, ever the restless schemer, set out to swindle Louisiana from the incompetent king of Spain, Carlos IV. His plan was to get Louisiana transferred to France in return for giving Queen Luisa's daughter a Tuscan kingdom. Typical intrigues clouded the plot and make for great reading. A revolt in French controlled St. Domingo, English awareness of the plot, a yellow fever epidemic, all combined to thwart Napoleon's plan to get control of Louisiana in order to contain and possibly eventually conquer the US. While James Monroe was in Paris seeking to purchase West Florida (which the French didn't own), Napoleon stunned them by offering Louisiana. While doubting the constitutionality of the purchase, Jefferson accepted and set the stage for later drawing the US into the Napoleonic wars that shook Europe.

The halves of 1803

All the die marriages of this year are available with just a bit of searching, but in problem free, choice condition, they are tough. O.101, 102, and 103 share a common obverse die mated with three separate reverses, and O.104 sports a small 3, same as used on gold $10s. It also shares a reverse previously used on O.103 and later used on 1805 O.112. Kindly add images of your 1803s!

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is a pair of coins that did their duty in commerce when our country was young..

1803 O.103 "large 3"

1803 O.104 "small 3"

I'm sure some more detailed examples will follow image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Overton numbering sequence matches the emission order for 1803, the order of when the working dies were used (which is not always the sequence of when they were fabricated).

The year 1803 also uses two master dies and two working hubs for the reverses. The O.101 Reverse A and 103 and 104 Reverse C have tail feathers that are more rounded and separated at the ends (and other differences), instead of the more squarish and blunt tail feather ends of the other 36 working dies of the series. They also changed to large reverse stars for Reverse C. An upcoming article in the John Reich Journal will explain these differences, which will have a broad impact on the strategy and processes used for pre-turban coins.

Here is a couple more small 3's, I will have the others when I get them imaged. These small 3's could be anywhere from their third round of dipping, cleaning, AT, and retoning to fully original, and anywhere inbetween, depending on which expert gives the opinionimage
    imageimage

imageimage
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Here is a O-101, R.3.

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    A NewP from Ed. O-101 R4

imageimage
  • Die clash? on REV..Anyone know with what? Probably common, but I have not seen one like this. Thanks for your help. PQ

Looking at the REV right side , inside wing, left of shield.

lower right inside shield

also 2 die chips or clash after one before and one after last A on rev

left side of 2nd A looks to be recut under loupe.

bottom 2nd S in states looks recut or clash mark.

Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file