Home Sports Talk
Options

Red Sox Emerge As Top Buehrle Suitor

Red Sox Emerge As Top Buehrle Suitor

Here's something we didn't see coming. According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Red Sox have emerged as the frontrunner for southpaw Mark Buehrle. They've jumped ahead of the Braves and Mets on the strength of their farm system.

Cowley says talks between Buehrle and the White Sox regarding an extension are basically dead. Now Boston has taken center stage, even sending assistant GM Allard Baird to watch Buehrle's last start (a typical fine effort from him).

Cowley believes a major motivation for the Red Sox is keeping Buehrle away from the Yankees. The Red Sox would apparently give him a five year extension. Possible targets for Kenny Williams: Clay Buchholz, Michael Bowden, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Jed Lowrie. In my opinion: two of those guys, done deal. Buchholz is arguably the best pitching prospect in the minors, and would make White Sox fans forget about Buehrle fairly quickly.

Williams plans to sit back and listen to all offers first, of course. According to Cowley, at least seven teams have made serious contact.

A healty rotation of Schilling, Beckett, Dice-K, Beuhrle and Wakefield would be interesting to watch.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I have heard of this, I would love for Buehrle to be in a Sox uniform.
  • Options
    I was surprised when I saw this also. I figured other than one more guy for the bullpen they would sit tight with pitching.
  • Options
    If this happens: Yankees, meet fork.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gammons wrote yesterday that the Red Sox consider Bucholz untouchable/untradeable. Take any two of the others though...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    I live about a mile from The Portland Seadogs and have seen Buchholz pitch a few times and this guy is a stud in the making. I wouldn't trade this guy for anyone.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I'd be carfeul if Allard Baird is going to evaluate Buehrle. I don't think he's ever been able to spot talent.
    Travis
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MercuryNut:

I just got back from a week in Cape Elizabeth - missed the Seadogs as they were sold out on father's day - drove by the stadium though - fantastic. Had a fine lunch at Becky's Diner too.

The North Atlantic is colder than I remebered it!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Glad you had a good time up here. For a AA ball park, its pretty cool especially the replication of the Green Monster in left field.

I eat at Becky's sometimes myself. I like diners and that one has been around for a long time.
  • Options
    I saw the Sea Dogs play last year and had a GREAT time, I live in Newburyport so it is not too far to see them play. I saw Ellsbury play, he had a great BPn session but did squat during the game.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I, for one, would rather not trade away our prospects for Buerhle, especially since I think Lester has more upside than Buerhle. With that said, I don't really want to see Buerhle in pinstripes either.
  • Options
    Perhaps the Sox think that Lester may not be able to help them this year, and getting Buehrle gives them that certainty, and keeps him out of NY. Tough to have too much quality pitching, and picking him for the rest of the season gives that deep rotation even more certainty against possible injuries down the road.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    This story has been floating around Chicago for a few days. They have reached an impasse in resigning him so the trade appears to be inevitable. Their minor league systems sucks as they just fired their long time amateur scout. Williams sees the Bosox as a better choice than the Mets or Yankees for acquiring minor league talent. It just makes too much sense for it not to happen, Boston has the players they want and Boston needs to keep the Yankees from signing him.

Don't forget that Buerhle has been through a recent World Series and would fit in with the Boston clubhouse. Now whether they can sign him long term is another question. Deep in his heart he wants to pitch in St Louis, which is near his home and the team he grew up rooting for.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I'm really hoping that Jon Lester gets his chance to rejoin the rotation soon, he deserves it. From that standpoint, I'm not all that concerned with getting Buerhle, especially if the Sox have to give up some top prospects for him. I don't really think it matters at this point to keep him out of New York - he certainly isn't going to be enough to help over there all by himself at this point.

But, if you have a chance to get a pitcher of Buerhle's caliber, I can see doing what's necessary to get him. No question about his talent, and if he joined the Sox rotation this year (he would be the 4th or 5th starter, imagine that!) it would certainly be a huge addition.
  • Options
    Lester has not exactly been lights out in his comeback, I think Buerhle would be a very good addition, you cannot EVER have enough pitching, I say let Lester stay down for the year if we get Buerhle, it would do him good IMO.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    According to news reports this morning there are 5 teams shopping for him, both NY teams, Arizona, Atlanta and Boston.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I hope he ends up in Arizona . . . or Atlanta . . . or Shea stadium . . . or even in Fenway I guess. Just not in pinstripes. I think is what I'm saying.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on the fence on this --- Tavarez is on a roll and could continue for the rest of this year -- kind of like Derek Lowe in 2004. If he goes back to the pen, he will just become a sh!tty mop-up reliever again.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If this happens: Yankees, meet fork. >>

• Options
    I'd take Buehrle in a heartbeat, but the ChiSox would never trade him to division rival. I'd even take THOME image for a veteran presence down the stretch. hint hint.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Red Sox Emerge As Top Buehrle Suitor

Here's something we didn't see coming. According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, the Red Sox have emerged as the frontrunner for southpaw Mark Buehrle. They've jumped ahead of the Braves and Mets on the strength of their farm system.

Cowley says talks between Buehrle and the White Sox regarding an extension are basically dead. Now Boston has taken center stage, even sending assistant GM Allard Baird to watch Buehrle's last start (a typical fine effort from him).

Cowley believes a major motivation for the Red Sox is keeping Buehrle away from the Yankees. The Red Sox would apparently give him a five year extension. Possible targets for Kenny Williams: Clay Buchholz, Michael Bowden, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Jed Lowrie. In my opinion: two of those guys, done deal. Buchholz is arguably the best pitching prospect in the minors, and would make White Sox fans forget about Buehrle fairly quickly.

Williams plans to sit back and listen to all offers first, of course. According to Cowley, at least seven teams have made serious contact.

A healty rotation of Schilling, Beckett, Dice-K, Beuhrle and Wakefield would be interesting to watch. >>

I don't believe Clay Buchholz will be going anywhere outside of the Red Sox system any time in the next few years.

Also, I think a rotation of Beuhrle, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Wakefield, and Tavarez would be better for another month or two than one that includes Schilling. I don't believe that Schilling is a fast healer, given past performance when attempting to recover his form after injury. Tavarez has been impressive lately.

Different topic: San Diego has the best pitching I've seen the Sox face all year. Woe to any team that has to face them in a short series in October -- assuming their starters remain healthy.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

I don't think this needs to happen for the Yankees to meet the fork.
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't think this needs to happen for the Yankees to meet the fork. >>

AGREED!