Home Metal Detecting

Help with ace 250

I designate the 250 for coins only and when I read something it tells me it's a 25cent piece. When I dig it, it turns out to be junk metal. Happens all the time. Can somebody with an ace 250 give me some suggestions? I should add that I turn the power down to half when searching.
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Comments

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    finding junk is what it's all about

They are called "artifacts"

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • dig all good signals, fill your trash pouch and you'll bring home some good finds too......the more you use it the better you'll understand what the machine is telling you.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • no artifacts here...mainly old beer cans,nails etc. I dig everything and maybe thats the problem. I've had it for two years now and so far nothing of interest. I've tried numerous locations but have yet to find a coin when it says so.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
  • I have the 250. Typically, the nickel turns out to be a pop tab, but thats every machine.

You have to think, its only reading metal content, if anything has a smiliar metal content, its going to think (or show) its a quarter. I havent ever had any problems with mine. Ive pulled a badge at 8in, and a wierd FORD part (probably from a Model T or something) at around 10in. I couldnt believe it, and when it kept going off, I was going to quit digging for fear of hitting lines, but sifted through the sand with my hands and found it.

Bottom line... the thing works... you just have to figure it out.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of the type of detector you use, certain targets are going to fall into the coin range. I often get quarter signals on brass targets like hose nozzles and large keys and such. Aluminum cans will always ping up in the coin range.

Remember that the ID meter of a detector is not going to be absolutely accurate all the time. It is just not possible. Rather, the meter readings are the detector making an "educated guess" about the possible identity of a target.

This information is good to have, and it's better than no information, but remember to always take it with a healthy grain of salt, so to speak.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.