Home Sports Talk

Tejada . . . . .

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has an injured wrist, but had a lame at-bat today to extend his games played streak. I just saw the highlight of his at bat -- he tried to bunt while lamely protecting his wrist.

This seems kind of pathetic to me . . . . did Lou Gehrig have any lame games to keep his streak going? I heard Ripken played hurt, but did even he have any lame 0-1 games to keep his streak going?

Comments

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has an injured wrist, but had a lame at-bat today to extend his games played streak. I just saw the highlight of his at bat -- he tried to bunt while lamely protecting his wrist.

This seems kind of pathetic to me . . . . did Lou Gehrig have any lame games to keep his streak going? I heard Ripken played hurt, but did even he have any lame 0-1 games to keep his streak going? >>

This, to me, is why "consecutive games" streaks are hollow. Yes, on one hand they are impressive. But on the other hand, I get the impression that "the streak" becomes more important than getting healthy and the best interests of the team, and that's when it becomes a sham. And sometimes you can come in to pinch-hit or play against one batter in right field and keep it intact.

If a player has a nagging injury at the start of the year and can either be 80% all year with no rest, or 100% after two weeks off, what's better for the team? Most likely the latter, but when you have a "streak" going, that hardly seems to matter.

There were probably games Brett Favre should have sat out, too. But once "The Streak" gets going, it becomes more important than the best long-term interests of the team.
  • Just like Cal's streak...there are games he shouldn't have played.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not sure how he could be "hurting" the team any worse than they already are. The O's are awful and will be going nowhere this season so if Tejada wants to get something out of this year I say no harm done in this case
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    the streak won't last... the baltimore fans won't put up with a bunt attempt to keep alive a streak to chase down cal ripken jr. he'll be booed and hated everytime out if that keeps up. hell he wasn't far from being booed and hated before he hurt his wrist so it won't take much to push them over the edge.

ripken played hurt but also had very long consecutive innings streak and played the whole game or a majority of it before he came out and it and if the game was close he didn't come out if he could help.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest news reports indicate Tejada's wrist is broken. Looks like his streak will end unless he bats one-handed for a couple months.
    Well a BROKEN wrist is a very different story, he should not be playing and making it wose enough that it might impact him next year. I thought he was playing through a sprain or something. My bad
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well a BROKEN wrist is a very different story, he should not be playing and making it wose enough that it might impact him next year. I thought he was playing through a sprain or something. My bad >>

That was an update -- when I started the thread, no one (even Tejada) knew it was broken.
    Well the O's season just went downhill a bit more then.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    he's on the DL now
    ends his streak as t he 5th highest ever i believe
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Streak??? Tejada is just trying to play baseball. He's in the shadow of Cal and Brooks. His continuous game streak is a factor of his efforts and commitment. Too bad he got injured.

I will wager my nuts that nobody in baseball will ever match the continuous games played by Ripken or even Gerhig. For that matter, nobody will ever play 1500 games without being out of the lineup.

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Players today make way too much money to be out there everyday, and the replacement level talent is higher than ever before. Giving a guy a night off here and there is much, much more beneficial than having an 'ironman' on your team.

<< <i>Players today make way too much money to be out there everyday, and the replacement level talent is higher than ever before. Giving a guy a night off here and there is much, much more beneficial than having an 'ironman' on your team. >>

Agreed