Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

71 Topps Set - Breaking the 25% Barrier in 9

Didnt take as long as I thought it would actually, but it will get tougher as I move on much as the 72s did...but I promised this board an all 9 set and if it takes me 5 yrs Im gonna deliver it.

EO

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep on keepin' on. That will be a monster when it is done.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    That set in PSA 8 looks great. 9's must be gorgeous!

Quite a goal, but will be awesome when it's done!
  • Options
    Are you talking baseball or football? '71 baseball is crazy as I started the same set about a year ago.
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a deeply impressive set to look at, already. Time after time the grade is higher than the population number to it's right image

Not just low pops, but lots of HOFers and sought after players, as well.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    if it is baseball, whoa nelly!

i have been building a '71 raw set this year and am bascially buying psa 7 and infrequent 8's, the 8s for HOFers and select high # cards. i have to tell you, the '71s are the only set i've seen that i can enjoy the psa 7 as much as a psa 8 or 9.

psa 7 commons i have been buying sell for double digits, so a psa 9 of anything, is really nice and pricey too.

gl and please share some scans!

tgif
    julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    His set is baseball. When I checked it was #44 on the current finest list (His Set). He already has a bunch of the major stars in PSA 9 (Rose, Munson, Baylor/Baker RC, etc.). I believe the Munson was purchased from Chris Renaud several years ago when he broke up his all-time finest set. It would be interesting to know how many of his cards have come from that set. A set of PSA 9s or better would be an amazing accomplishment!

Personally, I completed the set a little over two years ago with a GPA of 7.37. It is my favorite all-time set and I just love the cards in general. I don't really plan on upgrading my set; however, I would love to add as many PSA/DNA autographs to it as possible. If any body has any 1971 PSA/DNA auto cards that they are willing to sell, please let me know. I also have scans for each card in my set.

Mike
  • Options
    great accomplishment so far. This is one of the great Topps sets. But to complete an all 9 set, your only hope is that there are raw 9s yet to be discovered and that you will somehow be lucky enough to purchase or find them. There are at least 70 or 80 1s and a bunch of zero pop 9s. Not to burst your bubble, just my honest opinion. On the other hand, it is possible to achieve a set rating of 9.1 but you would need a lot of help from the current set owners who would have to agree to sell low pop 9s and a bunch of 10s. To get every card in a 9 might take two or three lifetimes, definitely not 5 years, and even then you would need a miracle.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    It won't be an easy task, but I think it is doable.

Here's why: PSA has starting including 1971 Topps in the low cost specials (e.g., $5 per card) and the populations of 1971 Topps are increasing in all grades, including PSA 9s, rapidly. When I was collecting the set, 1971 Topps was always excluded from the low cost specials. The specials were always 1972 to present. As such, very few 1971 Topps commons were ever submitted. There were almost no PSA 10s, very few PSA 9s and even a bunch of PSA 8s with low populations. Back then, a PSA 8 or better set was even difficult to complete. Since PSA has starting including 1971 Topps in their specials, more are getting submitted and the populations are growing fast. I would estimate that the population of PSA 8s and PSA 9s has doubled in the last three years since I completed my set. Now, there are very few PSA 8 low population cards IMO. Because of the black borders, PSA 9s or better will always be tough; however, a PSA 9 or better set should become more doable as time goes on.

Just my opinion,
    Mike
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Eric O. is a tough cookie. He'll boast about his goal, he'll try and do something that seems impossible. But given enough time and resources, it can happen. Good luck, Eric, please keep up updated on your progress.

(The only card I own from the set happens to be a PSA 10 Phillies Team)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, a PSA 9 Blyleven. I'd LOVE to have that card. Great set.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that Bert blew me away, too. A wonderful example of a great card.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I think I "contributed" to this cause with a Yankees Team PSA 9 recently. Good luck on your goal Eric - what a great set!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !