Home Sports Talk

Wait For Griffey...

I'm going to love it when Griffey goes yard for the 600th time!! Sammy will be crying about all the media coverage and how he didn't get nearly the coverage! Sammy is a joke!! Did anyone hear Rick Riley's comments on Sammy last week? Great stuff!!
There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!

Comments

• Riley is a putz....while I admire his charitable work, his continued railing on certain topics is just tired. He's so desperate for attention and wants to be Dan Patrick so bad (with his numerous celebrity connections) it's just sad.
    I agree, though, amd I was shocked that ESPN and other outlets were so quiet in how they led up to Sosa's 600th. He's got nowhere near the level of suspicion that Bonds does, yet Bonds' 600th was a huge event.

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree, though, amd I was shocked that ESPN and other outlets were so quiet in how they led up to Sosa's 600th. He's got nowhere near the level of suspicion that Bonds does, yet Bonds' 600th was a huge event. >>

How do you figure? Bond hit #600 back in '02 when our heads were buried in the sand.

With all of the crud that's happened in MLB, five years was a loooooooooooooooong time ago.

PS: "No habla Ingles" didn't help either.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    i hope griffey stays in cin and does it
    i would hate to see him as a yankee, especially since i have him a NL only fantasy league and he tearing teh cover off the ball
    he's fun to watch
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Waiting for Griffey to limp his way into the record books is OK. He is a great guy. Too bad he is always injured and never has prooved himself to be a leader of a championship team or dynasty. Definetly an early phenom with great stats and great role model when MLB needed one. Great personal statistics. Team leader - no. Great stats - yes.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • And most importantly, he's controversy free!
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • If Griffey hadnt missed nearly 3 seasons to injuries he would have another 100+ Homers at this and he would be creeping up on barry and Hank aaron.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Griffey hadnt missed nearly 3 seasons to injuries he would have another 100+ Homers at this and he would be creeping up on barry and Hank aaron.

That would be Selig's wet dream...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • No worries, Arod will hit his 500th this year, and, barring substantial injury, will overtake Bonds and whatever total he ends up within a decade.

Bonds will not be the HR king for many years at all.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    blew right past big mac

who's next frank rob???

he might get 600 this year and before the year started it was a long shot
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• << <i>No worries, Arod will hit his 500th this year, and, barring substantial injury, will overtake Bonds and whatever total he ends up within a decade.

Bonds will not be the HR king for many years at all. >>

As much as I don't care for Bonds, I'd really hate to see Pay-Rod end up with the record. Let's face it, both guys are far from being ambassadors of the game. If I had to choose between them, I would have to go with Bonds, but not by much. Hopefully, a guy like Pujols will make a run at it eventually.

As for Griff... I couldn't believe the treatment he got at Safeco over the weekend! I mean, they treat the guy like a god when HE's the one that WANTED to leave Seattle in the first place. Granted, I give him some credit for really jump-starting baseball in Seattle, but to cheer the guy's HR's against your own team? Just felt weird to me. I hope the M's don't make some crazy deal to bring him back for his last few years. What they really need is a couple decent starters to give themselves a chance. Sure, Griff would garuntee sell-outs for a while, but without pitching, they won't win.
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"

• << <i>As much as I don't care for Bonds, I'd really hate to see Pay-Rod end up with the record. Let's face it, both guys are far from being ambassadors of the game. If I had to choose between them, I would have to go with Bonds, but not by much. Hopefully, a guy like Pujols will make a run at it eventually. >>

Why so much hate for Rodriguez? Because he went for the big payday that anyone would have?

<< <i>As for Griff... I couldn't believe the treatment he got at Safeco over the weekend! I mean, they treat the guy like a god when HE's the one that WANTED to leave Seattle in the first place. Granted, I give him some credit for really jump-starting baseball in Seattle, but to cheer the guy's HR's against your own team? Just felt weird to me. I hope the M's don't make some crazy deal to bring him back for his last few years. What they really need is a couple decent starters to give themselves a chance. Sure, Griff would garuntee sell-outs for a while, but without pitching, they won't win. >>

If Griffey hadn't come along, there wouldn't be baseball in Seattle today. He didn't want to leave Seattle, he tried to make his life better for his family and took a paycut to do so. Just seems odd you slam Arod for taking the most money, then slam Griffey for taking less?