Home Sports Talk
Options

Sosa Hits #600

He hit # 600 tonight as the Rangers beat the CUBS 7 to 3. I wonder if he will get much more game time or will the Rangers let some youngsters have a shot? The Rangers really are sucking eggs this year, not much else has gone right so far. Do we celebrate or ?image
Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)

Comments

• Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Cheer to Sosa! image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers to the cheater! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    just discussing this on Sportscenter, basically said he was a first ballot HOF'er, Resurrected his career etc. etc. Has hit more homers at Wrigley than Ruth did at Yankee stadium, only Major leaguer with 3 60 homer seasons, and six years with 40+ in the N.L.
  • Options

<< <i>He hit # 600 tonight as the Rangers beat the CUBS 7 to 3. I wonder if he will get much more game time or will the Rangers let some youngsters have a shot? The Rangers really are sucking eggs this year, not much else has gone right so far. Do we celebrate or ?image >>

He leads the Rangers in RBI, so I doubt they will take him out of the lineup as if he were some aging, poor performing slugger chasing a stat. The Rangers aren't losing because of Sammy Sosa. However, the manager did say he was going to try and give Sosa a day of rest every week.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Sosa. Suspiscion or not - I think he should be a Hall of Famer.

McGwire should be as well.

Shane

• Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats to Sosa. Suspiscion or not - I think he should be a Hall of Famer.

McGwire should be as well. >>

Well in that case Palmeiro and Bonds should both be in too right?
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just discussing this on Sportscenter, basically said he was a first ballot HOF'er, Resurrected his career etc. etc. Has hit more homers at Wrigley than Ruth did at Yankee stadium, only Major leaguer with 3 60 homer seasons, and six years with 40+ in the N.L. >>

That's odd. On Mike & Mike this morning, Buster Olney said there was no way he was ever making the Hall of Fame because voters aren't going to vote in a steroid user.

We'll see. I'd vote him in.

shawn
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cheers to the cheater! image >>

grote, innocent until proven guilty.

Congratulations Slammin' Sammy!
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    They won't vote in a steroid user?

So the assumption is Mac, Sosa, and Bonds will never make the hall? I find that very, very difficult to believe.
  • Options

<< <i>So the assumption is Mac, Sosa, and Bonds will never make the hall? I find that very, very difficult to believe. >>

I find it hard to believe as well, even though that should be the case.
  • Options
    Sosa, No speaka da Englese? image

spoke just fine after his 600th homer.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So the assumption is Mac, Sosa, and Bonds will never make the hall? I find that very, very difficult to believe. >>

I find it hard to believe as well, even though that should be the case. >>

Why should it be the case? Will you go back into the hall and yank out all the cheaters then? Will Perry and his infamous 'spitballs' (cheating!) be rescinded? What about Schmidt, who openly admitted to taking amphetamines to get up for a day game after a night game?

Until they have failed a drug test, to hold these players in contempt and bar them from the hall is absurd. While I may hate Bonds as a person, I cannot in good conscience say he doesn't belong in the hall of fame.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree; we need much better evidence than allegations/rumors alone.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    The HOF set a precident with Mark McGwire last year.

Regardless of what we think, it's up to those who's votes count.

And when greenies, uppers, downers, blow, whatever... makes one gain massive muscle, strength, speed, and recover injuries faster, then you can compare it to steriods.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Not to be argumentative, but steroids do not alone give you increased muscle mass - they simply allow you to recover quicker from fatigue, allowing you to work out longer and with more weight, giving you that increased mass. HGH may be what you were referring to, as that is what allows the user to bulk up much, much faster when working out.

Greenies, on the other hand, allows one to be much more alert, which is especially useful after a late night game the following day game.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree; we need much better evidence than allegations/rumors alone. >>

I mostly agree. I think in the case of some marginal HOFers (such as McGwire), even the allegations might be just enough to tip the scales. Someone like Bonds -- as much as everyone may hate him -- is so great, steroids or no, that a mere unproven allegation can't take away enough to keep him out of Cooperstown.

Now prove something, and it becomes a different calculation, and not necessarily such a slam dunk.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The HOF set a precident with Mark McGwire last year.

Regardless of what we think, it's up to those who's votes count.

And when greenies, uppers, downers, blow, whatever... makes one gain massive muscle, strength, speed, and recover injuries faster, then you can compare it to steriods. >>

Theoretically all of those substances can give you those results.

Example - Jo Jo spends all day doing blow in order to keep his energy up so he can finish his 4 hour heavy weight workout. Then, between innings, he's chomping on some greenies in the clubhose to keep himself jacked up, to better steal bases and run down fly balls. And when he gets hit by a pitch and breaks his wrist, he's too hopped up to feel the pain and keeps on playing.

The problem for me is, where do you draw the line? What's the difference in taking HGH to get bigger and play better, and getting a cortisone shot in the knee to dull the pain and allow yourself to play better? What about caffeine? You're getting an energy boost. Does that mean you're cheating? Another good example I heard years ago, what if a batter has laser correction surgery on his eyes and gives himself better than 20/20 vision? Does that not enhance his performance by being able to see the ball out of the pitchers hand at a level that is considered to be better than normal? Should he be suspended until he has laser de-correction to get back to 20/20?

I'm not saying at all that I condone the use of steroids, because I hate that the game I love has to be clouded with this suspicion. I am also not defending Bonds because I think he is a pompus, racist a-hole who shows no appreciation for the game that has fed him for years.

I think it all comes down to the popularity of the home run and the most sacred number in the game. This would not be that big of a debate if players were taking greenies to chase down Rickey Henderson. And if Barry had started juicing when he was 25 so his body could have decomposed at 35 and never gotten close to 756, and Griffey's bony arse had stayed healthy to hit 800 hr's everything would be fine. We would be cheering him on and no one would care that the guys in 5th-10th place cheated, because the good guy won. JMHO
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>The problem for me is, where do you draw the line? What's the difference in taking HGH to get bigger and play better, and getting a cortisone shot in the knee to dull the pain and allow yourself to play better? What about caffeine? You're getting an energy boost. Does that mean you're cheating? Another good example I heard years ago, what if a batter has laser correction surgery on his eyes and gives himself better than 20/20 vision? Does that not enhance his performance by being able to see the ball out of the pitchers hand at a level that is considered to be better than normal? Should he be suspended until he has laser de-correction to get back to 20/20? >>

It's all based upon one's opinion; nothing more, nothing less.

I say it's okay, another says it's not. Go around and around until someone (hopefully) says, let's agree to disagree.

There's no need in calling another person's opinion wrong or unheard of.

Edited to add and clarify: Not speaking directly to anyone in particular, especially not KC image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    He's not done.........having a pretty good year at 38 years of age.

Definite HOF. Any other opinion is ridiculous.

BobFettaCheese is an ass for his lack of knowledge and stupid language/ethnic comment.

R----

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    << Cheers to the cheater! >>

grote, innocent until proven guilty.

Congratulations Slammin' Sammy!

Yeah, ok, he's innocent till proven guilty...so was O.J., too.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that "Slammin' Sammy" used steroids to launch many of those 600 homers. Unlike Bonds, though, Sammy is nowhere near the HOF without the juice and the additional homers, and my feeling is that he will NOT be voted in to the HOF, at least not at first.

If you want to discount his use of steroids, fine, that is your right, but don't try to claim with a straight face that Sammy Sosa is "innocent" until proven guilty in regard to that issue.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>He's not done.........having a pretty good year at 38 years of age.

Definite HOF. Any other opinion is ridiculous.

BobFettaCheese is an ass for his lack of knowledge and stupid language/ethnic comment.

R---- >>

Your momma is so fat...

• Options
    I love when the anti-steroid folk bring up OJ as a reference point to counter the whole 'innocent until proven guilty' thing...ignoring the fact he was found guilty in a civil trial. Irrational comparisons aside, put Sosa in, put McGwire in, put Bonds in...put in any worthy player who didn't fail a steroid test.

3 60 HR seasons, 600+ career HRs. Yeah, definite HoFer.
  • Options
    3 60 HR seasons, 600+ career HRs. Yeah, definite HoFer.

You mean definite cheater. Sosa will suffer the same fate as McGwire, and deservedly so.

• Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Sosa was GUILTY of using a corked bat !!! I believe that is cheating.

Regardless, 600 HRs is hard to discount as a HOF benchmark.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options

<< <i>3 60 HR seasons, 600+ career HRs. Yeah, definite HoFer.

You mean definite cheater. Sosa will suffer the same fate as McGwire, and deservedly so. >>

I am wondering why someone with the ability to ordain who has and hasn't cheated isn't working with the Mitchell investigation into steroids? Why are you slumming it here with us?
  • Options
    "Definite HOF. Any other opinion is ridiculous"

hey Dirty, Hairy.. or whatever you call yourself...here is a nickel, go buy yourself a clue. The flak over the steroids issue haunted McGwire, it will do the same for Sosa and Bonds regardless of how many Homers they hit.

The language/ethnic comment was a direct swipe at Supermn Sosa's inability to speak coherent English when being questioned in comittee, alas he must have been hooked on phonics when interviewed after his 600th Homer. Your lack of intelligence isn't surprising given your previous attempts at forumlating articulate diaologue. Stick to polishing your shiny guns, just wipe up when your done oiling your tiny barrel.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see Boba Fetts opinion and agree with him. It is kinda ironic because I remember Sosa playing the "not very good at english" card.
  • Options
    For some odd reason, people forget about Sosa's inability to speak English during the hearings.

He was on ESPN the other night and spoke English just fine...
  • Options
    Did anybody find it ironic that the guy he hit 600 off of, Jason Marquis, was wearing #21?
    Just a thought.