Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Mystery Box - Winner - 66Starfire

Mystery Box

Okay! These boards and Ebay are dead and I have a ton of crap (stuff I no longer collect) to move so I’m giving something away. If you think this is silly then don’t reply or I’ll beat you down with a hammer. There is no cost to participate. The winner will be chosen at random which gives everyone a chance to win.

This will be better then an unopened box or pack rip.

Instructions:

Post (No PMs) a player’s name (One Player Only) and why you should receive the mystery box

PM with your name and address or email at RichardMyers@zimoo.com

Details:

Favorite Player – This can be any player of any sport. This may reduce the number of items you receive so think modern and think stars. I have a limited collection of basketball and hockey. Please only choose one player.

Winner:

The winner will be chosen by me on Friday, June 22. The winner agrees to disclose the contents of their box on the original thread so everyone can comment.

If you receive cards and get them graded, I would love to know the results.

Please send any suggestions for the next Mystery Box to my email address above.

Good Luck!

Richard Myers (Lickablebean)

Comments

• jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Mine is an easy one. I'd love to have a psa 8 baby ray 48 bowman, if you still have one!

More realistic goal would be any cards from 2007 packers or rams that show the rams at lambeau. I was at that game and spent the whole game on the sidelines/bench and it was the best time I ever had at a game. I'm sure most cards aren't out yet, so if you don't have anything I would settle for a baby ray card image
  • A-Rod
    Not for me.For my 13 yr old son Adam.
    Great idea. You can send anything,I'm sure he'd be happy just opening
    anything.
    Thanks
    Larry
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Well since we are limited to one player I would have to say Greg Maddux.

I stopped collecting around 1994 (to much product and just kinda was burnt out from it all) and than when we purchased our home in 2003 I finally got a computer and discovered eBay and various sites like this and got the collecting bug all over again. I would love the mystery box as a way to fill in some holes to my ever growing collection plus I just love to be surprised.

Jeff
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Favre is my choice.

Here are my reasons for winning your mystery box.

I am a die hard Packer fan born and raised in Green Bay. I moved away when I was 18 for college and have kept the Packer spirit alive. I moved to Milwaukee and instantly bought the Milwaukee ticket package from a roommates Dad. I attend one away game a year and this year I will be bringing my 5 year old daughter to her first away game. She has been to four home games already. And lastly my wife and I are such Packer idiots we gave each other Packer gifts for our wedding day. Oh yeah, those gifts were tattoos.

Good luck to all and thanks for putting this one Lickablebean
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    cal ripken jr.

i don't have a lot of recent orioles cards, i only collect older stuff now and could use some modern stuff for the collection. i haven't even opened anything recent in years but would like to!!!

thanks for the opportunity.

fred
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Julio Franco

I am a long-time Tribe fan and have always enjoyed watching Julio play, even after he left the Indians. I am just two weeks older than Julio so I enjoy watching someone my age, who is not a pitcher, still produce at the major league level. Two years ago I was lucky enough to be in attendance when he homered twice off Eric Milton while playing for the Braves. A professional hitter wherever he played, Julio has over 4100 hits combined in his playing time in the majors, minors, Japan, Mexico, and South Korea.

Is he a star? In the Dominican Republic he definitely is. Even here in the US many consider Julio a star. After all, our eveing sky is littered with many stars besides those with fancy names like Polaris, or members of a famous cluster like Ursa Major.

Thanks for putting this on lickablebean and good luck to all.
    Charles
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Albert Pujols

This guy is amazing! He has done things in his first few years in the league that put him amongst the greatest players in the game. And from what I have seen of the guy he is someone that kids and adults both can look up to as a model human being.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • I'd love all things Cowboys. If I were to pick a player it would have to be Tony Romo.

I am currently serving a self-imposed moratorium on card buying and the withdrawals are killing me! Window shopping has been fun but I do miss the excitement surrounding the "what came in the mail today" discussion.....
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Ozzie Guillen-

Ozzie has been my favorite player since 1986. The Sox were bad and there wasn't much to look forward to except Ozzie playing air guitar (using a bat. Is that still air guitar?) to La bamba on top of the dug out during rain delays. I have many fond Ozzie memories but a few that stand out are:A) His final game with the White Sox when the team took the field. He ran out first and all his teammates greeted & hugged him on the field. (B) I was at the game when he and Craig Greback hit back to back homer runs off of Nolan Ryan!! (1990) and (c) Ozzie beating Cal Ripken out for the Gold Glove award. I know the Sox are having a rough year so far but I am happy to have Ozzie back in the White Sox dugout where he belongs.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Entry Follow-up! This is FUN!

Jimq112 - Baby Ray is alive and well. For a few bucks and food stamps I'll let you have him. image

66Starfire - Kids are fun and my daughters have fun helping me open my packages. Who is this guy daddy? image

Barfvader - I checked your link. Where would you put a collection of Greg Maddux? image

FavreFan1971 - Favre who? I love some Favre. He's been on my fantasy team for the last three years. image

baseballfan - Sorry you got raped on that deal with SJ. Hopefully, he'll rebound and do the right thing.

Piman58 - Julio is a Star and I wouldn't have guessed you were 60? image

cwazzy - Let's see where he is in 5 years. The name Griffey comes to mind but he is a great player. image

hobart4281 - Much love for ROMO! I hope he's the one. image

• GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Steve Largent-He could take a hit and give it right back.

Packer fan for one. My favorite Packer would be Paul Hornung. Brett Favre is also the man, who else can play on half an intestine?
    I have just begun to get back seriously into cards after my ex-wife obliterated the majority of my collection. Also my son who is 9 did a big report on Shaq this past year, and was asking at the time if I had any of his cards. I felt a tug on my gut and said, "I used to." At that moment we started picking up packs occassionally but it's been hard since our last local shop just closed.

Thanks for the opportunity,
    Goob
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Barfvader - I checked your link. Where would you put a collection of Greg Maddux? image >>

Eventually I will be making a room in the basement to properly display my collection but until then I can always find a little space in my room for new additions. image

Jeff
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Ken Griffey Jr.

He is by far my favorite active player and even though he is getting up there in age he is still producing. There have been trade rumors floating around, but I hope that is all they are. He has been healthy so far this year (Knock on wood) and his numbers show it. I also think that he has the sweetest home run swing in the game.

This is a Great idea and an enjoyable read!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Kirk Gibson

We went to the same High School, though years apart, and always liked his hard nose play. Would like to get anything of his in PSA or raw form.
  • Baseball- Jeter

Ask my 4yo what he wants to be when he grows up, he says derek Jeter. Actually, Jeter is the favorite of both of my boys.

Kevin
  • samspopsamspop Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Big Mac...Mark McGwire

Awesome fun!!

Thanks.
  • Keep them coming!

ROCKDJRW - Guillen! That's interesting and I like it. image

Goober - I was a little young to be a Largent Fan but I've seen all the highlights. Nice Pick! image

Bunker - Aaaaah Griffey! I still remember opening my first 89 UD Box. The Griffey was in the last pack and in the upper left corner of the box. image

Stingray - Fist Pump! image

Yankeeefan - Not Mantle? Luv Jeter and I have a lot of cards. image

samspop - With fries? image

• Yankeeefan - Not Mantle? Luv Jeter and I have a lot of cards.

The Mantle cards would've been for me image I like watching the boys get excited when they get a package in the mail.
  • I gotta say Derek Jeter also.

My wife is a die hard Yankee fan and worships the ground Jeter walks on. I'm afraid that one day when she's in the mood, she'll want me to dress up in a #2 jersey...

I've started the Jeter master and basic sets on the registry and hopefully in the next 50 years I might actually complete the set...Buying Jeter cards takes the heat off of me when I buy other cards...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Ken Griffey Jr.

My twin three year old sons, myself and my father are going to watch a game in Cinncinatti this year for the first time together. My father lives about 25 minutes from the stadium and always loved Griffey even as a Mariner. We are taking the trip from Tennessee to my fathers to spend some time together and catch Griffey and the Reds play!

I have started open packs of cards with the boys(mostly heritage football) but they love the gum, refractors and chromes.

I just am so happy to be able to watch a game with my father and twin sons.

My 5th anniversary is June 22 and thought this would be a cool to try and win for my sons on the anniversary of our marriage.

Anyway, I hope someone who wins at least shares with us and look foward to seeing the cards from teh winner!
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Julius Erving.

I am his illegitimate son. He has ignored me since birth.

I find solace only in collecting pieces of cardboard with his picture.

The ones with serial numbers make me especially happy. image

Won't you help...please?

Great idea. Thanks.
  • samsgirl214samsgirl214 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭

• Randy White aka the MANSTER! Or any Cowboy from the mid 70s to mid 80s.

Thank you! image

Danny
    Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • Roberto Clemente. I never saw him play, but he got his 3000th and final regular season hit on my 1st birthday. How many players today would fly on a relief mission to Nicaragua for earthquake victims?
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Lebron James

King James, he is young and talented. He has so many great years ahead of him and he will stay true to Cleveland and not jump ship for a big market. We are all Witness.
  • djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    I really like Sammy Baugh. He dominated in his day. He played through WWII, and continued his leadership into the early '50s. He went on to coach the sport that he enjoyed so much.

I really enjoy collecting vintage football and reading about the early players. The benefits at the time, for even star players were not great, but they continued to play and build the foundation for modern football. Watching the games from the '50s and '60s is really exciting. The championship game in 1958 is truly a thrill!

Doug
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 8 T206 wagner. Thats all
  • Great picks! Keep them coming.
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Kansas City Royals

No player in particular. George Brett was on the way out when I got into the hobby, so I had guys like Bob Hamelin, Gary Gaetti, Wally Joyner, and Chico Lind to watch. Besides, the cheaper stuff is more ideal for me to give the baby girl to chew on in an attempt to get her interested in my hobbies. She didnt want to dance and play with Barbies anyways. image
    Travis
  • Prince Fielder

Reason? He showed up Bonds on Monday, got hit in the balls by Jenkins on Tues. and, I believe, is a contender for a home run record someday, if not this year (not to mention he's on pace to blow away the Brewers single season HR record). Plus I'm a die hard Brewers fan (and that hasn't been easy the last 20+ years).
    Peace.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Love it!
  • Ricky Henderson

Rich likes Rickey Henderson. Rich thinks he was the most exciting ballplayer ever. Rich can't wait til he finally officially retires so he go into the HOF. Rich thinks this is agreat idea.

Thanks, Rich
  • Rich thinks Rich is funny.
  • I want to pick Bill but doubt you have what I need so..

Who- Russ Martin Dodgers (or any current Dodger)

Why- Our families 1st MLB game we saw him hit his 1st HR. So now we collect all Dodgers but a heavy focus on him.
    imageimageimage
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    Got any sets (especially insert sets)?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • I've got a ton of inserts.

<< <i>I've got a ton of inserts. >>

I'm listening image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • carson palmer

because i am i die hard bengals fan and its not easy when you lose your whole dang defense, plus a few starters on offense in the off season, not to mention the people who keep getting arrested! its hard for me to build my collection up too much because its not easy putting yourself through college..im 21 and just trying to get finished and im certainly not getting any help from my family..thats what makes collecting such a dangerous thing!
    life's a garden baby, dig it!
  • mickey mantle, love the guy, buy his cards with the intention of reselling, can't part with him, just can't do it

thanks very much, dave ouimette
  • Barry sanders

He is the all time greatest running back.Before to long it will be reggie bush. I watched some of his highlights he looks just like barry sanders did.Made people look stupid.
  • Thanks for your entries. One day Left!
    Okay, how about your baseball inserts (non Fleer/Ultra, since I almost got all of those from 1986-95)? It'd fun to sort through them all and see what I can find. image
    WISHLIST
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Dan Marino

I should receive the mystery box because one day I will own every Dan Marino card ever produced so that I can corner the market and boast to own the greatest Dan Marino set known to man. Afterwards, I will be crowned king of the Universe and will be given 1000 virgins for my personal harem.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dan Marino

I should receive the mystery box because one day I will own every Dan Marino card ever produced so that I can corner the market and boast to own the greatest Dan Marino set known to man. Afterwards, I will be crowned king of the Universe and will be given 1000 virgins for my personal harem.

Greg M. >>

The Dan Marino Collection nets 1000 virgins??!! All the complete Ozzie Guillen collection nets me is two skanks from the South side. image
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards

• << <i>

<< <i>Dan Marino

Greg M. >>

The Dan Marino Collection nets 1000 virgins??!! All the complete Ozzie Guillen collection nets me is two skanks from the South side. image >>

Wait a minute, I thought we won sports cards in this contest, not south side skanks...did I win? image
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I'll just take one of Greg's virgins.
  • Me too! However, I put out for anyone. image 3-4 Hours left to enter the contest. Good Luck!
  • there's you winner right there, thanks very mcuh for the contest.
  • That makes me think of something........ Anyone remember those "My grandparents went to Las Vegas and all they bought me was this lousy T-shirt" shirts?

I want one that says " My Grandparents went to a Vegas Card show and all they bought me was a lousy Black Box" Of course Id have to have the FF card on there somewhere.
    imageimageimage
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dan Marino

Greg M. >>

The Dan Marino Collection nets 1000 virgins??!! All the complete Ozzie Guillen collection nets me is two skanks from the South side. image >>

I'd take 2 south side skanks any day over 1000 virgins. Think of all the teaching you'd have to do??!!

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg