Home Sports Talk
Options

How much does Tiger dominate golf?

So much that by losing the US Open he got more attention than the guy that won, this from my observation of ESPN and ESPN2 this morning.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    your observation is correct and puzzling.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything in golf revolves around Tiger now. He has the power to create new events (i.e. Deutche Bank open), and has a huge influence on other PGA events, based on whether he attends or not. That being said, I guess if he was a total A-hole, he could be making a bigger power grab than he already has.

As muscular as Tiger is, makes you wonder if he has any "help"? Do they have drug testing in the PGA? Of course if they did, the likes of John Daly would probably flunk and not Tiger.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Everything in golf revolves around Tiger now. He has the power to create new events (i.e. Deutche Bank open), and has a huge influence on other PGA events, based on whether he attends or not. That being said, I guess if he was a total A-hole, he could be making a bigger power grab than he already has.

As muscular as Tiger is, makes you wonder if he has any "help"? Do they have drug testing in the PGA? Of course if they did, the likes of John Daly would probably flunk and not Tiger. >>

There was talk about a year or so ago about steroid testing for PGA golfers, nothing came of it and several players were deeply offended that the subject even came up.
  • Options
    Several events that Tiger never went to recently have had to shutter their doors - with no Tiger, there's no publicity, and no event.

Many have speculated that Tiger could, if he wanted, splinter off his own tour (the 'tiger tour') that would rival the PGA. Of course the PGA would have the tradition, but which tour would a majority of the fans follow? Tiger could set up his own round of grand slam events (am sure Dubai would pay a *ton* for a grand slam event), and the PGA would be nothing more than a shell of its former self.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is a great player... but there were others before him and there will be others after him.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    1. Majority of recent PGA Tour survey encouraged performance enhancing drug testing. Tiger has always been an advocate. Tiger has bulked up, but he did not hit it further than chain smoking, pot-bellied Angel Cabrera. Being strong doesn't get the ball in the hole on and around the greens, nor keep your shots in the fairway.

2. The talk of Tiger creating his own tour seemed absurb to me, and I'm not sure where it came from, but it doesn't make any sense. I will say that the PGA Tour gave him an event at Congressional, much like they did for Jack Nicklaus with The Memorial.

3. Tiger has the best mental approach to the game by far. He has Top-10 talent, but I believe it is his mental toughness that separates him.

Cabrera deserved to win. He busted that driver down the middle and did enough to win. He missed his share of putts but hit great shots to win.

It was un-Tiger-like for him to not make more putts this week and not to get up and down on 17 for birdie. It was also un-Furyk-like to not make a par on 17 when he's such a great wedge player. Had either made it to a playoff against Cabrera, Angel would have been the underdog. It was good TV yesterday.

Tiger gets the press, because he's arguably the most popular, recognized, revered and talented sportsman in the world. Although, I consider golf to be a game of skill, not a sport -- and I'm an avid golfer.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiger is too concerned with making Television commercials and adding to his fortune. He's not lean and hungry anymore. No way he should have lost that tournament yesterday. He missed way too many putts on Sat. and Sun., just a lack of concentration, probably looking forward to seeing the wifey after the round and making the next Nike commercial.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how much? My wife, who dislikes watching golf on TV (thank you USGA for having the US Open close on Father's Day), said toward the end of the tournament, "it's no fun watching if Tiger isn't winning."
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiger's Wife Gives Birth to Their First Child
    Daughter Arrives Less Than 24 Hours After U.S. Open

AP
    Posted: 2007-06-19 09:41:17
    Tiger has a cub.

Less than 24 hours after Tiger Woods finished second at the U.S. Open on Father's Day, his wife gave birth to their first child, a daughter. He announced Monday night on his Web site that Sam Alexis Woods was born early Monday morning.

"Both Elin and Sam are doing well and resting peacefully," Woods wrote. "We want to thank our doctors and the hospital staff for all their dedicated and hard work. This is truly a special time in our lives and we look forward to introducing Sam to our family and friends over the next few weeks. We thank everyone for their well wishes and continued respect of our privacy."

Woods said he would miss a major if it meant seeing the birth of his child. Now he won't have to, but it's not clear how his upcoming schedule will be affected.

Woods finished a shot behind Angel Cabrera on Sunday to finish second in a major for the second time this year.

He's scheduled to host a tournament in Washington, D.C., from July 5-8. The British Open starts July 19, and the PGA Championship begins Aug. 9 at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa.

"I'm pacing myself already just because of the fact that I have a baby coming up," Woods said about two weeks ago. "I don't know how much I'm going to play after that or how much I'm going to play before that. A lot of that is depending on what happens and the health of Elin and our child."

The past two years have been life-changing for Woods, who has won 12 majors in his brilliant career.

He turned 30 in December 2005, and the following May his father, Earl, died at age 74 after a long bout with cancer.

A month later, Woods failed to make the cut at the U.S. Open at Winged Foot. He came back to win the British Open in July and broke down in tears on the 18th green at Royal Liverpool, sobbing on the shoulder of his caddie.

In December, Woods went public with his wife's pregnancy. Last week, before the U.S. Open he talked about becoming a father.

"My practice sessions are going to have to be tailored around a little bit, have to move things around. But, you know, I don't really know how my game is going to be affected by it because I've never gone through it before," he said.

"All I know is that Elin and I are excited, and that this is far more important than any game of golf. This is an opportunity for us to raise our first child, and we're really looking forward to it."

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Once again, he is not JUST a "great player". We ARE witnessing history here. He is one of those rare athletes that will have HUGE historical significance in my opinion. Like Ruth, Mantle, and Ali. IMO, 50 years from now, Woods will have cemented a place as an American icon while Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Alex Rodriguez, etc. will have been relegated to statistics and mere footnotes in history. >>

Woods is a great golfer but lets not get carried away here......

He will of course get the record for most major tournament wins, it is only a matter of time.

He is not really a Jackie Robinson in opening doors for more minority players, so I'm not sure what the huge historical significance is other
    than dominating the game during the time he played (which others have done too of course).
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I agree that he is the closest athlete in America to what Michael Jordan was. I think it's pretty funny that the guy is in the running almost every major but if he doesn't win then he had a bad tournament. That is pretty high expecations and due to how great he has been during his career. I think he is easily the most recognized athlete in the world and is still on the top of his game.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just heard that Tiger is quitting golf to try to make it in MLB. image
  • Options
    While it is easy to be impressed with Woods as a player (and he is a great player...) I think it is still premature to say he is the best golfer of all-time. Even though Sam Snead never won the US Open, his career was quite impressive. I remember watching him compete in the US Open on TV in 1975 or 76 at the age of 64 giving everyone a run for their money until he collapsed in the third round. Finishing second in the Open as many times as he did still counts for something... especially with Hogan and Nelson around

• Options
    Top 3 sports icons:
    Tiger Woods
    Michael Jordan
    Richard Petty
  • Options
    As I already made a plug for Sam Snead, a pitch should also be made for Ben Hogan. Hogan was involved in a horrible car accident. It is impossible to evaluate his career in light of this and compare him to Tiger Woods or any other top notch player of any era. With all due respect, his 1953 season was terrific winning 3 of 4 majors.

• Options
    As much as he wants to!
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    He is a great player, but the media gives him too much coverage and makes too much out of it.

Fact in point, after finishing 2nd at the US Open, the newspaper headlines quoted Tiger as "failing" to win the US Open. Instead, they should be focusing more on the winner. Also, finishing 2nd to me isn't "failing". Crap, 2nd place in a major is a GREAT finish. Tiger's last 4 majors he went 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd. That is awesome!!!! But the media portrayed it as a "failing" because he didn't win. Unbelieveable.