Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the toughest 1984 Donruss card to find in PSA-10?

I just busted some factory sets and was wondering if there were any cards (aside from Mattingly) that would fetch big bucks if I happened to find some high grade examples? I don't want to submit commons if they are not worth selling for profit if they happen to come back as PSA-10's. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head #'s 482, 480, 637 commons are huge in psa 10. Haven't looked at the pop report in a while but by my last count there were 2 psa 10's out of those 3 numbers.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    How about Steve Sax? That seems like a low pop, and I know I have one that would be a PSA-10++. Is it worth the cost of admission?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I think the Moreno #637 was a zero pop at one time, but now there is one. As a matter of fact I believe that there are several 1/1s right now and maybe a few without even a 10 at this time.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    chambliss or doran?

i would personally say ryne sandberg, considering i submitted 13 and got 13 9s.... sigh

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    There are MANY with a POP of 2 or 3 that should garner decent money, but here are the cards with only 1 or no PSA 10s to date.

Dave Dravecky DK Steel, Dave Dravecky DK Steele, Larry Parrish DK Steel, Mike Schmidt DK Steele, Mike Stenhouse (# on back), Ron Darling (# on back), Greg Gagne RR, #56 Buddy Bell, #109 Neil Allen, #166 Lee Mazzilli, #177 Al Oliver, #180 Rich Dotson, #230 Doug Decinces, #237 Mike Caldwell, #238 Keith Hernandez, #271 Ned Yost, #428 Mario Soto, #437 Ernie Whitt, #441 Craig Swan, #463 Terry Francona, #464 Wayne Tolleson, #479 Lee Lacy, #482 Mike Fitzgerald, #489 Joe Nolan, #501 Jerry Koosman, #505 Mark Thurmond, #522 Tom Burgmeir, #523 Chris Speir, #537 Chris Chambliss, #547 Tug McGraw, #548 Dave Smith, #549 Len Matuszek, #555 Bill Campbell, #556 Mike Torrez, #564 Vern Ruhle, #570 Salome Barojas, #580 Bill Doran, #590 Bud Anderson, #637 Omar Moreno, #638 Charlie Hough, #645 Dave Geisel, #647 Gary Pettis, #649 Johnnie Lemaster & Checklist #6 have ONLY ONE PSA 10 each.

Bruce Sutter DK Steele, Larry Parrish DK Steele, #70 Kent Hrbek, #447 Ted Power, #502 Frank Dipino, #504 Ken Oberkfell, #528 Ed Whitson, #534 Bruce Sutter, #545 Kiko Garcia, #550 Tom Hume, #646 Scott Garrelts & the DK Checklist STEELE have ZERO PSA 10s to date.

I probably missed a few, but that's a good list to pick from. By the way, if you end up with any 10s on these, I'd be interested in nearly all of them. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    <<Mike Schmidt DK Steele>

I own that PSA 10 -- it took me forever to find it, I paid through the nose, and there are I think only one or two PSA 9s to boot. Exceptionally tough card to find. Notably off-centered.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    arny,

no '77 tiant yet?

wutz the deal?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Hi guys----- I have #56 Buddy Bell PSA 10, 1 of 1; and#220 John Butcher PSA 10 1 of 1. I am hopeful of not only collecting all Texas Rangers in PSA's 10, but also getting the 1984 Donruss Texas Rangers up onto the REGISTRY. COSETTA IS A WINNER, AND, as soon as she allows this to happen, I'll be happy. ----Tonyimage
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    Thanks Arny for that nice breakdown. As a relative newbie to the PSA world, I feel pretty fortunate with my grading success so far with 84 Donruss. In my very first submission ever, I put in five 84 D cards: Henderson, Boggs, Mattingly, Ryan, and Rose. All but the Ryan received 10's except the Ryan, which got a 9. I'm currently going through the rest of my superstar 84D to submit another lot to PSA and am pretty confident that I can pull some more 10's... hopefully some Ripkens and Sandbergs among them.

Anyway, in regards to the commons... I do have a couple of thousand of those that I need to go through, but they are down in CA and I won't be able to get them until August. I definately want to go through them for possible subs to PSA, but to me, this is very risky. While it's very true that finding a 10 on a low pop card will bring big bucks, what happens if you don't get a 10? My impression (from limited experience anyway) is that I may be able to recover cost on a 9, but 8's would pretty much be worthless. This makes me a bit nervous cuz you're completely relying on PSA to make or break you. These results of course can vary drastically depending on the day and grader you happen to get.

Contrast that with what I'm doing on 72 Topps. Since those are much more rare, even the commons can bring great money even in an 8 (especailly the low pop ones). On most, I feel I can even break even on 7's at the worst. So, even though my 72's are in generally worse condition than my 84D, it still feels like a much bigger risk submitting 84D commons in hopes of getting mostly 10's with no worse than a few 9's. Anyway, I suppose that is one of the biggest reasons that the pops are so low on 84D commons. I don't think a lot of people are in the position to take a risk like that. Unless maybe you are very experienced and have a great track record of ID'ing 10's (is there anyone in that boat?)
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>arny,

no '77 tiant yet?

wutz the deal?

julen >>

I thought he bought it a while back??
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I don't think a lot of people are in the position to take a risk like that. Unless maybe you are very experienced and have a great track record of ID'ing 10's (is there anyone in that boat?) >>

I don't think such people exist. I know quite a few collectors who are supremely anal in their collecting and attention to detail, but even they are not able to consistently without fail differentiate between 9s and 10s, especially on some modern issues like 1984 Donruss, 1989 Upper Deck, etc.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I've picked up my '77 Tiant, but I couldn't edit the original pic that I created and I've been too lazy to make a new picture. image

I did, however, have my Camilo Pascual basic player set added to the registry! image

Only a couple of cards away from completing it in all 8s or better. image

As far as the '84 Donruss cards go, there are still lots of opportunities to score some nice dough on the 10s and even some lower pop 9s. There are at least 5 people going after 10s including myself and most of the sets are under the 50% completion point which means that the money is still out there.

I'm just looking to complete my set and then upgrade the rest as much as possible. I'm sitting at about 60% of the set in PSA 10 and almost done with the thing.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
  • Options
    I'll check and let you know what I may have.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Besides a Mattingly or other star card what is the current "record" price for a PSA 10 '84 D?
  • Options
    I've seen a couple of commons go for over $100. Tippy Martinez PSA 10 went to $103 if I remember right.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards