Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

When is the Last Time a Top Lincoln Wheat Registry Set was Broken Up for Auction

The AnneKate Collection?

How often do top registry sets come-up for sale at auction houses? Are they usually sold be the piece or the set?

Curious to know how often these top coins become available to the bidding public.

imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like clock work, there were always two to three major Lincoln collections headed off to auction each year. Anybody in the top 20 of these series, felt like a yo-yo as these sets departed and were replaced by another super set. But this year has been different. None have gone since the Anne Kate. So maybe we are down to the serious collectors.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I do believe the #5 MPL set was just retired. Are they included in your topic?
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options

<< <i>Just like clock work, there were always two to three major Lincoln collections headed off to auction each year. Anybody in the top 20 of these series, felt like a yo-yo as these sets departed and were replaced by another super set. But this year has been different. None have gone since the Anne Kate. So maybe we are down to the serious collectors.

WS >>

Since these sets were put together and auctioned so quickly after completion, they contained many of the same exact specimens auctioned off two and three different times over the decade. Most of the best coins have rarely been seen in 10 or 20 years, as they are sitting in very strong hands. Some new excitment will be generated when one of those sets goes on the block.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Might not be a TOP set...but it's a darn nice one image

A NICE SET FOR SALE!
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When is the Last Time a Top Lincoln Wheat Registry Set was Broken Up for Auction

August, 2007
    Doug
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>When is the Last Time a Top Lincoln Wheat Registry Set was Broken Up for Auction

August, 2007 >>

• Options

I'm still waiting for Gerry or Stewart to cave to the pressure. I'm not getting any younger!!!

Jack

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am beginning to think that posting the question brought out the MOJO now that Dan is selling his set. UFB, who is next?

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am beginning to think that posting the question brought out the MOJO now that Dan is selling his set. UFB, who is next?

WS >>

or the question was posted because the OP knew that the set was going to auction.
    Doug