Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Where do the registry award winners stand in comparison to the great non-registry collections?

It looks like Steve Soloway and Don Luchious have been named as PSA Registry Hall of Famers.

Guys like these two and Fogel and Crandell have the bset PSA collections. But what about the greatest collections that are not on the registry?

How do the PSA guys rank in comparison to Keith Olberman or Larry Fritsch or some of the other guys with legendary collections?

Comments

• Options
    How would you ever know?????
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Koby-

It is all relative. Randy Stucklemeyer's collection clearly is on the same level as many of the PSA guys. He simply prefers SGC.

And most of the names of noted pre-war collectors are known. The breadth and depth of their collections may be less known to all, but they are generally known. Olbermann's collection is definitely on the same level as Fogel / Crandell / Louchios and others, if not better. And there are probably two or three pre-war collections that are definitively more notable than many of the PSA heavyweights.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Don't forget Lionel Carter!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Most of the above mentioned are in the team picture.
  • Options
    For pre-WWI and oddball (i.e., oddball basketball), there are a few collections out there that would mesmerize people. All have the same profile -- old guys that don't like graded cards and prefer Mylar.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I am sure there are many people out there that have great collections that not many of us know about. Many collectors keep to themselves and only a few people in the hobby really know about them. Just because someone is on TV and spends a lot on cards and has a nice collection doesnt mean there are others out there that are unknown to nearly all of us.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Can things exist without being perceived?
    What is it to say that they exist when such an existence avoids all knowing?

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Wolf,
    If not one is around to perceive the tree, then what tree? Clearly it does not exist.
    Nice to have you back. How was the trip.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew Dmitri young had a nice collection I did not know Olberman had a pretty extensive collection as well, anyone know how nice their stuff is?
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had all the disposable income those guys have. Do you think it would be "less fun" if you had any amount of $$ just to BLOW on cards.....NAH!
  • Options

<< <i>I knew Dmitri young had a nice collection I did not know Olberman had a pretty extensive collection as well, anyone know how nice their stuff is? >>

Dmitri only collects rookie cards in GEM MINT condition. A pretty world-class run of the key rookie cards of the last 50+ years.

Obermann primarily collects pre-war. Very, very advanced collector of some of the very rare/esoteric sets. Has one of the Doyle NY Nat'l cards, as well as some of the N172s of which only one are known. An extraordinary collection of T-206 proof cards to boot.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I've heard very good things about Olbermann's collection as well. While he does have a great deal of discretionary income, he is a true fan of the game, appreciates it's history and finer cards, and doesn't flaunt his collection at all.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Obermann primarily collects pre-war. >>

He has an extensive Topps test collection from the 1960's and 1970's. Even last year he was spending large amounts of money on ebay for new Topps error cards. His collection is very complete and not just pre-war.
  • Options
    Koby -- good point. I guess I should have said that I think the bulk of his collection's value. Although he has shied away from some of the rare post-war issues (1980 Topps Pepsi, 1980 Topps Test Coin, etc.), he does, for example, have a number of 1977 Topps Orioles Reggie Jackson cards, which is pretty damn cool in and of itself.
  • Options
    Did Dmitri Young transfer all his cards to Global holders? I thought I heard that about his collection.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Dmitri Young transferred his cards to GAI, but I also heard he started to sell them off at some point recently.

(And he has the highest batting average in the majors since mid-May, which makes me wonder if he regrets seling any of those unique items off now, looking back...).
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Found this page, pretty interesting, don't know how old it is (note the number of PSA graded cards though):

Text

edit: just went through his collection, its broken down by decade...holy mother of god.
  • Options
    Dmitri has a significant number of his cards in PSA holders. I'm not clear if he has been crossing anything over to GAI in the past two years or so...
  • Options
    Thanks for that link Stitzen. Very nice collection, that is quite alot of high grade cards to say the least!