Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Best source for ungraded raw material?

Hello set collectors,
I am new to these boards and would like to pick your minds on a certain topic.My question is rather simple..(pre 1980 baseball, basketball and football)
Which of the following options do you feel is best way to find cards in the best shape.Buying unopened vending boxes, unopened wax packs or unopened cell packs? For argument sake lets say the boxes and or packs are in mint shape with no corner dings etc.Any experience opening sealed packs, etc?...for an example what percentage would you expect to be 8 NQ or better...20% of the cards or more??
Thanks for your time and input....Fred

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    vending is best.

vending case is the absolute best.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Hey, you said the question was rather simple!
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I agree with mikeschmidt, but you have to be careful with vending boxes. The boxes themselves are not sealed, so they can be searched and the mint cards and star cards can be replaced with non-mint cards and commons and then sold to an unsuspecting buyer. A sealed vending case is the best way to go, but they are extremely expensive.

I've had great success in the past by working with people who bought and opened the cases and buying the commons from them. But even this is getting harder to do.