Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Wash Qtr Registry Participants - For sale here first PCGS 67 1935 - See latest closeups addressing s

I am going to start by making my duplicates available to anyone that can use PQ PCGS 67 Washington Quarters

Here is an "original skinned" PCGS 67 1935. Does anyone want or need this very coin?

Asking $700 - delivered. And NO, it is NOT listed on the BS&T Forum. I am offering it HERE first in an attempt to keep this Forum ALIVE!image

Comments

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now THAT'S how to show a coin! But if it's not FULLY STRUCK, is it really a MS67 calibur example?

Leo

Edited to add since I can see only 2 qualities with this coin; grade/ condition and luster! The strike, another quality a coin can have, does not appear full. It may be the positioning of the lighting for the picture. So from the picture because of the soft hair details, the coin looks MS65/a $145 coin. I thought that I'd explain myself in a better opinion of what I'm seeing/saying. But nonetheless, it's a nice MS65 example!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now THAT'S how to show a coin! But if it's not FULLY STRUCK, is it really a MS67 calibur example?

Leo

Edited to add since I can see only 2 qualities with this coin; grade/ condition and luster! The strike, another quality a coin can have, does not appear full. It may be the positioning of the lighting for the picture. So from the picture because of the soft hair details, the coin looks MS65/a $145 coin. I thought that I'd explain myself in a better opinion of what I'm seeing/saying. But nonetheless, it's a nice MS65 example! >>

That analysis should encourage more folks to post their coins here.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Is there a point to trying to screw a seller by publically slamming a coin he offers for sale here? Is this some kind of ego thing, or just stupidity? PCGS graded the coin. Potential buyers can make their own assessment without a lame appraisal from the peanut gallery.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Oh, and BTW, your comments about the strike demonstrate your ignorance of this series.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "So from the picture because of the soft hair details, the coin looks MS65/a $145 coin"

Sort of like saying because the 1938(p) Jefferson nickel does not display strong 6 step detail of a 1940(d) nickel, the solid MS67 quality of a particular 1938(p) should be knocked down to an MS65 grade.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion here, which is what makes this place great!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my opinion of this coin and I know nothing of Washingtons other then what I've heard or read. I believe that this is actually a well stuck coin for the date, as early to mid 30's tend to be struck soft. It has tons or luster and the fields are sharp and clean. No chatter visible on the neck or cheek. This is a nice blast white example of a solid MS67 Washington quarter. Very difficult to locate a coin this nice.

Sorry I don't collect quarters. It is very nice.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Thank you for all the helpful posts. The coin was obtained some time ago as evidenced by the 7 digit certification number and therefore it is "seasoned" within the slab.

If I take a picture of the Reverse you would see that it is just as White and bears the Merchant's inventory sticker which shows what was paid for it ($850) along with the coin's certification number.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"So from the picture because of the soft hair details, the coin looks MS65/a $145 coin"

Sort of like saying because the 1938(p) Jefferson nickel does not display strong 6 step detail of a 1940(d) nickel, the solid MS67 quality of a particular 1938(p) should be knocked down to an MS65 grade.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion here, which is what makes this place great!

Wondercoin >>

If I'm paying out $700, the coin needs to have at least 3 qualities about it which would include the strike!
    It would be an exceptional 38-P if it displayed the step detail of a 40-D as long as it's fully struck. Otherwise you'll end up with a shiny misnomer with steps! image
    And no, I don't believe too many would accept that idea, downgrading a coin based on missing step details.

I did go to Teletrade to look at a few 1935 quarters. There are some nicely struck coins there. Only Boom could tell us if his
    coin is fully struck.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Thank you, Leo. I appreciate your input and looking at the pix I cannot say that I fault you for your opinion.

Taking pix from dead on doesn't exactly flatter any coin's natural attributes but this is how I take my pix.

I'm sure a more skilled photographer could do a much better job showing "why" this coin merits PCGS' 67 grade.

It's a very beautiful coin backed by me as the seller and PCGS as the grader.

One would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful specimen. image
  • Options
    I took these for Leo using Macro with the coin approximately 3 inches from the lens, then edited it out by mistake. Perhaps later I will replace what WAS here with a better close up! image

Sorry for the confusion. My bad!
  • Options
    docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I agree with MOC that the quarter is correctly graded. Very nice eye appeal and luster also!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin!

This coin should find a happy new home!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Hi Mr. Boom. That coin sure is pretty. Are your other Quarters this pretty? How do I find it? (The set?)
    Thank you,
    BobbyT

PS - I FOUND IT and ALL the coins so Magnificent. The PCGS 66 are every bit as pretty as the PCGS 67s.

I couldn't see any differences between them. I don't see how many of them could possibly look or be any better!

We MUST talk soon, Mr. Boom.

Thank you,
    BobbyT
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I'll stick my neck out, but isn't Leo the one who used to claim he was proud owner of the
    $125,000 1953-S Jefferson Nickel?????
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    BTW Boom, that's a very nice 35-P 25c. It's original and mark-free with excellent eye-appeal.
  • Options
    Have all of you seen how pretty the other Quarters in his set are?

I guess that's a dumb question because I saw Mr. Boom's Name in a lot of other peoples' sets I looked at too.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Sweeeeet
  • Options
    I appreciate all the input and as I look around at who says what I find myself considering the source(s). Here on this very thread are some owners of some mighty good pairs of "eyes".

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR QUALITY.

A LOT of folks do not comprehend "Technical Grading." The "Average Joe" that chases numbers on labels with total disregard for Quality will eventually be made to learn a very hard, expensive Lesson.

A coin CAN technically grade a high number and STILL NOT BE PQ!

Just 2 years ago this coin wouldn't have lasted a Day on these boards.

Maybe it's time to just put them away for several years. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While waiting for the picture to load (sometimes this satellite DSL is a tad slower than the regular DSL we once had before moving out to the boondocks), I saw you describe the coin as "original skinned", and I thought I was not gonna like it, since in some series (MS Washingtons included), I like 'em white.

However, when the picture loaded, I must say I was impressed. I'm not a Washington quarter collector, but I can respect 'em in general, and that one in particular- great cartwheeling on that piece! image

It begs one question, though... where's your reverse pic? I guess you're still workin' on that.

To stray off-topic slightly (but not totally), and ramble on about a topic dear to my own heart, I must say that it has been a goal of mine to dig a 1930s Washington while out detecting. It's one of those weird things that has eluded me so far, though I have seen folks dig 'em right next to me. I have found silver Washingtons, sure, but never one from before 1941. I've dug SLQs, Barber quarters, and one Seated quarter, but no 1930s Washington yet. I doubt I'd ever get an MS coin from the ground, but a nice lustrous AU would be cool (that does happen periodically). I would settle for an AG, to tell you the truth.

Another odd thing is that I have never found a mintmarked Buffalo nickel. Probably have dug more than a half a roll of 'em by now, but not a single mintmarked coin.

Those two are my "easier" detecting goals I hope to attain soon.

Sorry to go off prattling about an MD topic here on the Registry forum.

I haven't visited here much since 2003 or so; only infrequently- but I salute your efforts to keep this forum alive, as you put it.

I might've gotten out of the Registry game four or five years ago, but believe it or not, it was the Registry and this particular forum that brought me here, just about six years ago now. I no longer participate, but I enjoyed it while I did. Rock on, Registryfolk!

Helluva nice quaddah there, Boom.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.