Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Newbie question

This is the 3rd time that I've posted this (twice in Q&A) so third times a charm! Look at this coin....

As you eagle-eyed experts can see, the "U" in United is beside the "2" in 2nd. Is this a mint or man-made error? The reverse seems to have a crease, starting at the $ and ending at the "A" in America. Thanks!

"This is a stick-up, gimme all your money...no, just your coins..."

Comments

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Mint made.. The detail behind the head is a reverse image of a portion of the reverse, that includes Libertys lower front drapery. Further down on Adams collar is a reverse image of the 1$, with a partial reverse image of UNITED stamped near the rim.
    HOW??? Don't know, but making a mirrow image of the reverse and cropping the area, then rotating it to match the area in question, it matches up exactly.
    Dan
  • Looks like a clash, but not a clash die. Either another coin at the mint clashed during minting or I have seen people actually try to make their own clashes. My guess is Mint made. image
  • Thanks for the replies. If it is a mint error, would there be any extra value to it?
  • Do you think I should sell it?
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a post mint damage squeeze job to me. The coin was even deformed in the process. The rims in that area have been smashed.
    Becky

• << <i>It looks like a post mint damage squeeze job to me. The coin was even deformed in the process. The rims in that area have been smashed. >>

So you think maybe someone tried to make it look like an error, gave up, then put it back in circulation? Grrrr! image

I'm gonna hold on to it anway, just in case other ones show up.