Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How do your store your key registry coins to protect them

GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
At the risk of attracting multiple flames for asking an old question on this forum, I will anyway.

At least it will allow a few people to vent and tell me I should have searched more and found this somewhere in an old archive, some may provide some valuable advice and state their experience, and some will have something new to read to see what other people are doing.

I receive a few PCGS slabbed coins shipped in little plastic zip lock bags. If this is soft, like PVC, will it eventually damage a slabbed coin? It seems to me the slabs are easily scratched just slightly touching them, so I can understand the double protection, but I don't know if it is a good idea to store them all in bunch of plastic bags long term.

How many use products like Intercept Shield boxes and silica gel hydrosorbant to try to reduce environmental coin damage for their more expensive coins?

Has anyone actually tried to deliberately tone or damage (I assume experimenting on some cheaper ones?) coins in holders with any results, good or bad? This should give me a feeling for how susceptible they are in their holders.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I store mine in Intercept Shield double protection boxes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I actually use the Eagle storage albums. You are able to protect your slabs and also enjoy looking at your collection. The albums keep them will organized also. I really hate to have a collection that you have to worry about damaging. I view this as coin collecting instead of slab collecting(nothing against PCGS). image
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Intercept Shield boxes as well, inside my safe deposit box. I also include a container of silica gel to remove moisture.

I used to use the Eagle albums but found that over a long period of time, the Eagle pages made rub marks on the slabs. Moreso on PCGS than NGC, but irritating nonetheless. I think they now use a softer plastic, but I already made the switch to the IS boxes.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to use the Eagle albums but found that over a long period of time, the Eagle pages made rub marks on the slabs. >>

Ditto.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the PCGS blue boxes they come in.

Jon
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use the PCGS blue boxes they come in.

Jon >>

Me too!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<At the risk of attracting multiple flames for asking an old question on this forum, I will anyway.

At least it will allow a few people to vent and tell me I should have searched more and found this somewhere in an old archive>>

You are not allowed to ask questions here unless you want answers image
    I use the PCGS green and blue storage boxes to store my stabs!

edited to say: image newbie! You can post more than once per month, don't be shy!
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Viva la blue box. image
    Dan
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Ditto on the Intercept Shield boxes and silica packets.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I store mine in Intercept Shield double protection boxes. >>

Same here. Whether they work or not is another question, but at least I can relax knowing there isn't much more I can do.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I store mine in Intercept Shield double protection boxes.

Russ, NCNE >>

Keithimage
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jon >>

I use NGC boxes. They hold any slab.

Ken
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    How do your store your key registry coins to protect them

In a safety deposit box. The better ones are in intercept holders in the box.

-David
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    If you think about it, it's actually pretty silly that we have to come up with things to put these slabs into...when the slabs themselves are supposed to be sonically sealed. image

I too have had to invest a couple of hundred bucks in Intercept Shield dbl protection boxes because I don't trust that the slabs are 100% air tight. Now, if the TPG's could come up with something that REALLY is sonically sealed....then we would not have to worry about this issue AT ALL would we????

• Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750

Encapsulation & Long-Term Storage

PCGS pioneered the tamper-evident, sonically-sealed, high security capsule as a method of reinforcing its Guarantee of Grade & Authenticity of each PCGS coin.

In addition, the unique certification number permanently sealed inside each coin capsule may be utilized by the coin's owner as a reliable means of identification after the PCGS coin re-enters the marketplace.

Equally important, PCGS's hard plastic holder provides optimum protection for safe, long-term storage of rare coins.

• Options
    I personally like to show what I have (I own a gun and now how to use it).
    The only time I put them away- is when mom n I are out of town for a X period of time.

they were meant to be viewed- no matter what they are in- how can you call it a collection if all you do is wrap it up so tight that you never get to see what you have, or show it to folks who have never seen one, except in a picture?

And pictures of it don't count......

• Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Intercept Shield
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>

Jon >>

Me too!

Later, Paul. >>

Me three!!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I store mine in Intercept Shield double protection boxes.

Russ, NCNE >>

Close, I am lazy and have those Intercept Shield boxes that hold 60 slabs.

BTW, where does everyone get those silcate packages? I checked my local hardware store and they only have loose stuff in big bags.
  • Options
    This company sells the silica I have been using. It can be recharged easily.

I think clicking on the above link will work for you. They also have other collecting supplies.

Best regards.
  • Options
    Kelley's coins also sells the silica and the intercept shield boxes.

The link above is to Kelley's coins where they sell a lot of storage supplies.

Best Regards.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I will give it a shot.
  • Options
    yevrahyevrah Posts: 143 ✭✭
    I use the blue plastic boxes and I live in a very dry place, Denver. So I don't need silica.
    yevrah/harvey

ebay ID: 78terp
    ANA # R-3143946

1899 Mint Set
  • Options
    in intercept shield boxes, in a plastic bag with a selica gel container, with silica gel containers scattered on top of the boxes in a safe deposit box.
    Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com