Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Need some help with this Nolan Ryan card

I opened a box 1991 Pacific Nolan Ryan's and I got this card. It doesn't really say what it is so I checked the pop report and my best guess is that it's a 1991 Pacific Ryan No-Hitter #7 Time to Celebrate Gold. is that correct? I only got one of these shiny cards in the box. Are they usually 1 per box? How rare are they? I see there is 1 PSA 8 and 1 PSA 7 of it. I'm going to send it to PSA, I just want to make sure I label it right. Any help is appreciated.

Edited to add: This is the new picture of the card graded.

Comments

• Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

You are correct, I believe. This is from the Standard Catalog of Baseball cards.

Nice card!!
  • Options
    Edit to the above...yours is actually the Non-Metallic version. Acccording to the SCBBC, there were 10,000 Silvers and 1,000 golds produced. So with the large, large production runs of the early 90's, this is a relatively tough card to pull. The SCBBC list your card as having a value of $25.00 and the silver with a value of $12.00.

Still, a nice card!

Good luck with the submission.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    1,000 made, that is a pretty tough pull. The 1991 Donruss Elite's were 10,000 and those are really tough to get from pack. Well, it's going to PSA and then hitting ebay, we'll see what it's worth. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    I pulled a Donruss Elite Series Nolan Ryan out of a pack of 1991 Donruss. It was numbered to 7,500. At the time "VERY RARE" and it was worth over $200 bucks...check old Becketts if you have them...AMAZING. Believe it or not, it is still worth $65.00...

Good Luck on your Nolan Ryan pursuits...
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I remember ripping lots of this stuff. I remember getting the gold and silver cards 1-2 per box??? But what I also got that I have never seen even spoken about are 2 hologram/refractor type borders. They were not the solid silver but the borders were hologram type similar to that of an upperdeck hologram. I dont even know what box they would even be in right now. I'll be lucky if I ever find them in my stacks again but if I do, I will post pics. If anyone has any info on those, please post!
    Thanks for this topic Wabbitt! I havent thought about these cards in quite some time.

Edited for description
  • Options
    I wanted to take this thread back to the top because I'm hoping to find somebody that is an expert on this set.

I have this card on Ebay and I am getting a lot of questions and watchers on it. People are asking me if it's a "dull" gold or a shiny gold. I tell them it looks like a chrome refractor. I don't want somebody to be dissapointed but I also want to make sure that if I am selling a rare version, that people know that. Does anyone know exactly which version this card is?
  • Options
    Have you posted this question on the Nolan Ryan thread? The experts there might know.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    Didn't even think of that. I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Its the shiney gold version, which is definately much more rare. How much more rare? I dont know. But the flat gold and silvers are very noticable and would come 1-2 per box I believe. They should be able to tell by the scan which version it is because its obvious. I have no idea of its worth/value though.

I remember opening BOXES of this stuff. I still have a bunch of sets. In all the boxes I opened, I got 2 of the shiney refractor types.