Home Metal Detecting
Options

hunting at night?

bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
does anyone here detect in parks at night when there is no traffic there?

Jim

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

Comments

• Options
    I do it mostly at night.
  • Options
    During the hot summer it's my prefered time to hunt.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have when I had some spots that I didn't want to attract attention, in the downtown area...and I have a couple of times with Lordmarcovan....down here in the deep south, it's either the bugs or the heat....or both!
  • Options
    i hunt the parks and beaches at night because it's about the only time i can get out.....hh.
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Talk to Riccar. He's a night stalker.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think a good majority of us do it at night. I know thats the only time I wish to this time of year, and usually the only time my day in general allows it.
  • Options
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The parks around here are all off limits at night. You can get arrested. Probably get arrested in the day too for digging up the grass. I pretty much stick to the deep woods and that's definitely not a place you want to be at night image >>

same here, not that I have a detector, but parks are off limits at night
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The night time is often the right time!

Provided you are in an area where it is safe and legal to hunt at night, of course.

Technically our city parks close at sundown, but the police department knows I have a park permit and don't ask me to leave unless a citizen complains. This is why I only hunt parks in the business district after dark- they are better lit and are not surrounded by homes. If you creep around after dark in one of the parks that is surrounded by homes, you're likely to get the law called out on you.

I long ago learned to night hunt, partly because of my schedule and partly because spring and summer here are unbearably hot and humid by day.

Now I work graveyard shifts, so early AM is a better detecting time for me than nights, but I still would prefer night hunting sometimes, especially now that the hot season is here.

Suggested things to bring with you for a night hunt:

1. A good flashlight, but better yet, a headlamp with an elastic band so you can have hands-free light
    2. Your common sense regarding safety matters
    3. I don't "pack heat", since I am not a gun owner, but that's up to you- remember you might be encountering officers of the law
    4. A pinpointer probe is always nice to have but particularly so for night hunting, since you might not immediately see what you've dug up

Night hunting is preferable if you do beaches- it is a pleasant and quieter, less crowded time to be there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Here in Roseville, the parks are closed at night. You can get cited if you are found in there.

How do you guys see? On my White’s MXT, the display doesn’t light up. How are you seeing at night?
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>How are you seeing at night? >>

My GTi2500 has a back light on the console
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto, I have a backlit meter now, which is nice to have, but prior to my getting the GTI-2500, I used to just switch on my headlamp when I needed to see the meter.

Really, you should be able to hunt without watching the meter. Learning to "hunt by ear" is a much better skill to have. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to see a meter reading, too, but I learned to do without it. In fact, some of the relic machines I have used like my old Troy Shadow, and the underwater Fisher 1280-X I found my oldest coin with, had no meters at all.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    When I’m swinging, I’m not just staring at my meter. I only consult the console when I get a clear, repeatable tone. On the MXT there is only one tone in coin mode and only two tones in relic mode; everything sounds the same. I forget that some ‘tectors have multiple tones, which would make night hunting easier.
    imageimage