Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Two NGC Abbreviations... what do they mean?

I've got two NGC abbreviations in front of me, but I can't figure out what they mean. On the second, Krause was not helpful, either, since I couldn't find the coin image

I have...

1350-64 France R'OR (FR-278 Jean II Le Bon)
1672-74 Netherlands F'LYS (DOTF-1962)

Thanks for the help!

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    R'OR = Real d'Or, Royal d'Or, Royale d'Or (depending)

Is the second coin gold or silver?

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could the second abbreviation stand for Franc au Lys?

Edit: Nevermind, Henry IV was long dead in 1672, plus the coins is from Netherlands.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second piece is copper. The full label says:

(1672-74) NETHERLAND F'LYS
    C/S IN 1595 FRANCE-DOMBES
    AG3
    DOTF-1962
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, that makes sense.

Does the counterstamp look like this? It could be a French counterstamp in the name of Henry IV...

Come on, people, where are our French experts? I'm going out on quite a limb here image

• Options
    Yup... looks like that one!
  • Options
    AG-3? Looks like NGC doesn't know you're supposed to grade the counterstamp, not the host coin.....

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Fleur D' Lys?
    " I just checked in , Just to see what condition, My condition was in." Kenny Rogers and the 1st. Edition......
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frito Lays?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    The attribution to the Netherlands and the dates are correct according to Brunk. Supposedly countermarked during Louis XIVs invasion during those years. I cannot find anyone who has stepped out on a limb and actually offered a name for the denomination though, so I am assuming that the abbreviation is for Fleur de Lys referencing the countermark's design.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>Frito Lays? >>

Thats quite a tasty designation image
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, everyone! Fleur de Lys came across my mind, but I didn't want to embarrass myself misspelling it image
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Thanks for the help, everyone! Fleur de Lys came across my mind, but I didn't want to embarrass myself misspelling it >>

Jeremy, .......you......embarrased????? Never happen image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Thanks for the help, everyone! Fleur de Lys came across my mind, but I didn't want to embarrass myself misspelling it >>

Jeremy, .......you......embarrased????? Never happen image >>

Nah, never