Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1815 Capped Bust Quarters

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
1815 Capped bust quarters were the first US quarters minted since 1807. Designed by John Reich, 89,235 pieces were coined of 6.74 grams of .8924 fine silver.

There is one die variety, though another 1815 obverse was later overdated to 1818/5. There are three major die states, i. Perfect Dies ii. Clash Marks both sides iii. Dies Lapped, Clash Marks Gone. There are also several coins mysteriously countermarked E or L over the corresponding letter in LIBERTY.

In this thread, the first in a series on Capped Bust Quarters, collectors can ask questions, show pictures, and discuss minting of 1815 and other early quarters.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1815 Capped Bust Quarters >>

Yes, please. image

Particularly THAT one. Hubba hubba. (Except for whatever that is on the obverse).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I have seen discussion and pictures of the counterstamped ones in Bowers' American Coin Treasures & Hoards and think they're really interesting. Who here has one?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks LM, but it's not my coin. Here's my humble specimen:

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few bust quarters (actually quite a few) but oddly enough, I can't find any pics of them.

It is a very addicting series of coins.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    This one was owned until recently. Obtained a very nice result at a FUN sale.

TahoeDale
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks LM, but it's not my coin. Here's my humble specimen: >>

Humble or hubba-hubba, I like 'em all. image

Yours is much more up my alley.

Best I've had was a PCGS VF25.

• Options
    TahoeDale's attachment. Awesome.

PS: I daresay even more awesome to my eyes than the first coin in this thread.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    This is a very attractive series, and the coins still have a nice look when worn.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a mid-grade one that I've purchase about 3 years ago from a coin dealer for about $ 120 bucks. Not sure if I want to submitt it to PCGS. It could come back as a F 15 or VF 20... I'll try to post a pic of the coin for any suggestions.
  • Options
    HA! Baley, I was going to ask if you planned to crack that one out for your Dansco until I read that it is not yours image

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Baley,

Thanks for starting this neat thread. Here is a countermarked 1815 sent to me by a Bust Quarter collector who is enjoying this thread, but has not yet joined the CU forum.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Countermark is kinda cool, TahoeDale's has the exact same thing, sorta makes things interesting. Anyone know who did that or why?
  • Options
    This thread has some information about the counterstamps

Another one

And another

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I sure would like to find a good orginial F12/VG10 for my series, these are tough.image
  • Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

This is a great series (and a great series of threads). Let's see some more! Here's the 1815 in my date set. (Sorry, I don't have a reverse pic.)

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1815's are very tough to locate in all grades in problem-free, original condition, and all the more so in PCGS slabs! image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some beautiful coins!
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    This is a very attractive series, and the coins still have a nice look when worn.: Longacre.

My 1815 in the picture below (if I remember correctly was an overly-generous NGC 53)...as Mr. Longacre
    mentioned these quarters can be attractive in the lower grades...the 1824 pictured is/was a
    PCGS F15 and to me a very pleasing coin...

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overly generous or not, that's a sweet 1815, RTS! image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file