I received these yesterday from the same seller:

Maxentius was the son of Maximianus.
Both were involved with Constantine.

(Images moved to website)

Maximianus Silvered AE Antoninianus - Iovi
Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
IMP C M A VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG
Jupiter standing left holding thunderbolt and scepter
IOVI CONSERVAT - Exergue: SXXIT (Ticinum mint)
Catalog: RIC V 558 - Struck AD 287

Maxentius AE Follis - Roma
Laureate head right
IMP C MAXENTIVS PF AVG
Roma seated facing, head left, in hexastyle temple
CONSERV VRBS VAC - Exergue: RBS
Catalog: RIC VI 208 - Struck 308-310 AD, Rome Mint

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done! Keep the Roman coin threads comin'! image

In the interest of keeping this thread "Maxed" out, I'll see your Maximianus and Maxentius...

... and raise you a Maximinus. image

Which is one of my favorites, for reasons I can't quite pin down. I think it's the portrait. It's a nice coin but the peaceful, almost smiling expression on the emperor's face is very expressive and his prominent chin and nose are interesting. It seems a very realistic portrait for so late in the game? Anyway, I really like this piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ...and a Maximinus II.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I must confess that in this stage of the learning curve I am still getting my "Maxes" confused with one another, just as the array of Constantines and Constantiuses and Constanses gets befuddling at times.

I'm still piecing together the historical jigsaw puzzle, simultaneously learning about the coins AND their historical background. I've a long, long way to go, but I have also come a really long way in the last two months, and I do allow myself a little pride in that.

Speaking of Maximinuses, my first one was Maximinus Thrax and the second was Maximinus Daia, yes? I forget. Back to the books. (Edit: yes, I believe I got it right.)

Anything intelligent you can add to the story behind my (or your) coins is appreciated at this point.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of BIG MAX!

Maximinus Thrax Denarius - Salus
    Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG
    Salus seated left, feeding from patera a serpent arising from altar
    SALVS AVGVSTI
    Catalog: RIC 14 RSC 85a

Maximinus Thrax Denarius - Fides
    Laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right
    MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM
    Fides standing facing, head left, military standard in each hand
    FIDES MILITVM
    Catalog: RIC 18A RSC 9

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    whoa, very cool!!

on a similar note, i have a 100 lb. chocolate lab named Maximus Meridius Miorandi. he stands up for what is right in our neighborhood and slays the local cats in our backyard coliseum (ok, the last part is false) image
  • Options
    Whoa, no fair- your Maximinus Thrax coins are nicer than mine! I like the snakey Salus one.

Still love mine, too, of course.

Doogy- you have a lab named Max?

Guess what. My wife's dog (the outdoor, backyard dog) is a black lab whose AKC registered name is Sir Max-A-Doodle.

You'll never guess what we call him.