Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Barry Bonds--Before and After pics

I think I'm gonna start unloading all my Bonds cards. I could right now probably get 50-55% of what I paid right before the steroid crap came to light. Some say they may spike right before the record is reached, but I don't think there is long term value for 'em. Found these pics and thought I'd share.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think from judging him from his interviews. Hes just in it for the money. So anything goes
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

He kind of looks like the Incredible Hulk!!!!image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    wow, great comparison.. an 18 year old bonds and a photoshopped picture of a 40 year old man..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Not to start anything but he could get that big without steroids.But I am not saying he did or did not take them.I really don't care steroids don't hit the ball.He hits ball but steroids kills the ball deep.Every one has there saying.There is a lot of diffrence in the pics.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I like how a lot of the water retention went to his head. Not comparing...just mentioning how big his head is while his arms have veins that look like the Los Angeles highway system. You can almost see lips on his veins looking to suck on a needle for feeding!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    He appears to have turned green, as time has passed.

I suspect that LOTS of non-collectors will want to buy a
    Bond's card right before/after the record falls. That will
    provide a brief window to dump the cards.

"Guilty" or not, his reputation is forever ruined. His cards
    will remain largely worthless for MANY decades to come.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    It depends on how desperately you need the cash. I'm sure Bonds' cards will bump up a little when he sets the HR record but his value will plummet big time when the steroid investigation resumes and he is found guilty.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>wow, great comparison.. an 18 year old bonds and a photoshopped picture of a 40 year old man.. >>

Yep. That's from the spring of 1983 when he played with The Alaska Goldpanners.

Quite a comparison. I doubt anyone could legitimately look that different from age 18 to age 41.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a comparison. I doubt anyone could legitimately look that different from age 18 to age 41.

Agreed. Nothing Bonds has done after around 1999 or so has been legitimate. What the pic doesn't show either is that his shoe size has also grown about three sizes over the last few years.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to start anything but he could get that big without steroids.But I am not saying he did or did not take them.I really don't care steroids don't hit the ball.He hits ball but steroids kills the ball deep.Every one has there saying.There is a lot of diffrence in the pics. >>

A - No he can't
    B - Is this English?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>A - No he can't >>

i disagree man.. between the ages of 18 and 40 someone can get that big.. especially someone who is paid as a professional athlete and pretty much doesnt have to do anything except eat and workout..

im certainly not saying barry hasnt done some roids, but the whole notion of it being impossible to get that big is inaccurate.. ok, so he's gained weight consistently since he was 18.. thats not evidence.. even if that weight is extra fat on his head, neck or feet, it could still just be evidence of weight gain.. we dont know how "cut" or "ripped" barry is, all we see is his forearms, and absolutely someone can get their forearms that big in 22 years time without roids.. did Barry? probably not..

anyway, my right forearm is larger than the other because i work it out more often.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i masterbate more heavily w/ my left hand,
    but my right forearm is still bigger?

dunno

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>i masterbate more heavily w/ my left hand,
    but my right forearm is still bigger?

dunno

julen >>

thats why my right one is teh strength..

i need to use the left one more, but it doesnt get the job done as quick or with as much precision..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I've got a buddy who went from string-bean in high school to fully ripped cop in 15 years. The guy also works out 2 hrs a day, 6 days a week, and chows down on "Ultimate Cheeseburgers" daily. No wife, no girlfriend, no kids, just the gym, his badge, and his food. Pretty dedicated. (however, he just hooked up with his first girlfriend in years, so we'll see how his routene changes... image)

So, YES, it can be done.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Barry Bonds rookies will be the ultimate cards to have. The feces is the stuff people say about him. I know this isn't a new argument but the precision drugs nowadays aren't any worse than that crap Hank Aaron ate and Babe Ruth ate was just as bad for you. They set real bad examples in their own time. Edit: Lard and Spam = Slam.
    ORANGE
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭
    <<Barry Bonds rookies will be the ultimate cards to have. The feces is the stuff people say about him. I know this isn't a new argument but the precision drugs nowadays aren't any worse than that crap Hank Aaron ate and Babe Ruth ate was just as bad for you. They set real bad examples in their own time. Edit: Lard and Spam = Slam. >>

I think if you mated the literary skills of Gary Sheffield and Yogi Berra, this is the kind of quote you would get. "The feces is the stuff people say about him." I need to ponder that one for a while.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I am sure that people 20 years from now will be clamoring for an 87 topps Bonds card over a 54 Aaron.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wow, great comparison.. an 18 year old bonds and a photoshopped picture of a 40 year old man.. >>

Thank you
  • Options
    TextI like how a lot of the water retention went to his head

Bonds = Hydrocephalus.
    NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    This is too funny, you guys act as if Barry is the only person to ever gain weight and build muscle over a 23 year period. I am sure Barry, along with just about every other player of the era, was taking some kind of performance enhancer, some legal, some not. If we are going to do this, lets find some before and after pictures of Pujols, Arod, or any other baseball player that has gained size, strenght and speed since they were 18 years old.

I am not saying Bonds did or did not use illegal PID's, just that he is certainly not the only one and it's not fair to single him out.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Manny Ramirez is a good individual to look at. In high school he was a twig. A complete and utter twig. Nowadays he's pretty bulky and has grown quite a bit in size. Same can be said for Jim Thome and Frank Thomas.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think if you mated the literary skills of Gary Sheffield and Yogi Berra, this is the kind of quote you would get. "The feces is the stuff people say about him." I need to ponder that one for a while. >>

: standing ovation :
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Barry Bonds rookies will be the ultimate cards to have. The feces is the stuff people say about him. I know this isn't a new argument but the precision drugs nowadays aren't any worse than that crap Hank Aaron ate and Babe Ruth ate was just as bad for you. They set real bad examples in their own time. Edit: Lard and Spam = Slam. >>

Are you for real or just act like a 10 yr old for the fun of it?
  • Options
    Are you for real or do you just act like a 10 year old for the fun of it...
    Well, lets see, I'm playing with baseball cards...
    what else...
    You don't like the way I talk? Don't touch my face.
    ORANGE
  • Options
    Whore, Get away.
    ORANGE
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    The Barry--- " Who are you going to believe , me or your own eyes ? " . Appropiately from the childrens movie -- American Tale -- when the rat is exposed , as being something that he is not.

Barry truely reminds me of his father. I was a huge Bobby Bonds fan, until one day he decided that making or putting forth REAL effort wasn't for him.

Barry will always have his fans, that deserve him. For those of us that see him for what he is, he is what he is.

Thank you for the pictures. I see people at the gym that have made the same commitment as Barry, and bulk up like that simply by their own will , every day, but only if I pretend.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    With minimal effort you can add an inch to any of your flabby girly muscles in a year. He's had 20+. I've seen this firsthand. You don't get any taller after your teens, but you bulk up considerably in stages, naturally. With proper feedings and workouts, the hulking muscles will take shape.
    ORANGE
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    That green Hulk picture cracks me up

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you for the pictures. I see people at the gym that have made the same commitment as Barry, and bulk up like that simply by their own will , every day, but only if I pretend. >>

to start off with, you dont even drive past a gym everyday.. and even if you did dare step foot into a gym, you wouldnt see professional baseball players or even professional badminton players in there everyday.. so yeah, like you said, your whole statement i quoted is just "pretend"..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    badminton players? Do they work out? Are there really such things.... Where is their ESPN programming?
    Maybe we could replace some of the bowling and poker with badminton gals.
    Edit:
    Badminton cards?
    ORANGE
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    With the type of work I do, I visit 6 different gyms once a month , sometimes twice a month. I know most of the managers well and many , many of their customers if not by name , at least by face, as I usually see the same people as I service their gyms the same time on their given day. I love to see the trim fit people that try real hard to maintain their youth. I really haven't seen too many bulked up weight lifters as I believe these are not the type of gyms that they do their buisness at.

Being from Baltimore, Raffy was a fan favorite. People always marvilled at how Raffy did it, as he was a well know non-gym type of player. At some point , reality sets in to different people. There are people that believe that Raffy never did anything wrong. He was telling the truth that finger wagging day. I've heard that someone framed him , so he would be knocked out from the Aaron, homerun race. If you listen long enough to talk radio , especially the sports talk shows , you can hear most any excuse. There really are people here in Baltimore that believe that Raffy never did anything wrong. To them , because others do it , its must not be bad. I made the easy choice of believing the truth , long before he was busted.

Personally I know people that do use roids. After awhile most advanced users get a certain look to their bodies. I'm not an expert and neither is almost anyone here, but when I look at bulked up atheletes, they seriously remind me more of the roid-people than the people I see at the gyms I visit every month.

I know how important it is that Barry lovers , need to defend him as a non cheater. Who wants to say in public, we love a cheat. I and Aaron and many many others may be dead wrong on our judgement of Barry and Bigmac and Sammy and Raffy and Lyle , etc, etc, etc, but when I start seeing people that work out , looking just like the roid - people , without using roids , I will be a convert. Until then , who am I going to believe , my own eyes or the news coming from the other side.

One of the great traits of people on the wrong side of an issue is the mantra ' Kill the fireman , not the fire " . I have never seen , anything presented as credible , that supports how Bonds turned from exhibit #1 to exhibit #2 as shown above, that even remotely rings true. I'm still waiting for the gym owners to say "yeah you can look like that , without any outside help". In an arguement, if a person doesn't have truth on their side, the normal result is again "Kill the fireman , not the fire ". I have no problem believing that our moral compass turns us the the side of the issue we choose to believe, on this and any other issue. Thank God for this forum, that even though, we may differ on an issue, we can still present our ideas, even if we are wrong. Its still worth it , at least to me.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    The problem with Barry is that he has become a lightning rod for the whole steroid scandal. I have no idea if he did or didn't, the circumstancial evidence looks like he did. Looking at the pictures it could be done naturally, peoples bodies change over time. I wonder if this would be this big of an issue if he was more media friendly. I can't blame him for the way he treats the media. No one wants to live life under a microscope like all the high paid athletes do. I know it comes with the territory and they need to deal with it. It's too bad because I think all the players under the roid watch were all great players to begin with but just wanted to be a little bit better. The athletes that did made poor personal choices but I really wish baseball had stepped in and cracked down 10 years ago before this was the firestorm that it is. MLB got its wish with the home run chase of Mcgwire/Sosa and Bonds a few years later but now will deal with it for years to come.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    IF the "drug rule" did not exist, there would be no controversy.
    The problem is about cheating, NOT about drug use.

The "war on drugs" has totally ruined America's criminal-justice
    system; and, it is fast ruining sports.

Even if they wanted to, the sports-bodies could not institute a
    rational "don't ask, don't tell" scheme. Americans have been
    brainwashed - by the most corrupt pols in the history of the
    world - into believing that matters of personal choice should
    be managed by public policy.

I have never used ANY illegal drugs, but if adults want to do so
    - and ruin their mental and physical health -it really is none of my
    business what they do in private. It should not be government's
    business either.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Nevermind, wrong thread
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line, Barry Bonds in his prime was the greatest offensive threat ever to step up to the plate, Steroids or not. The 1000 other MLB players that did or did not do 'roids only wish they could have gotten to that level. The guy appears to be an a$$hole but as a player he can flat out play.
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    I work for a company where we have a gym on our campus that I go to every day. (I wanted to get rid of my flab and get into some type of shape aside from "round"). Due to the nature of my job (pharmaceutical industry) we get tested for illegal substances constantly. This includes steroids and any other "controlled" substances. There are people in the gym who have been going there for YEARS who are incredibly bulked up. After talking with them, it's a matter of constant and controlled weight training, cardiovascular fitness, VERY low fat diets, VERY high protein diets, and consistent working out.

What Barry did can happen without the use of steroids. It's just a matter of whether or not you believe he's put the hard work and effort into physically growing like he has.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.