Home Metal Detecting

Favorite old park yields big silver!!

It sure was great getting out to dig over the weekend. I have been tied up so much the last 3-4 weeks, that getting away to detect has been impossible.
I decided to hit my favorite park which over the last 3 years has provided many first time digs for me. (makes sense since this is the first park I ever detected)

One area of the park that looks the most inviting has proven to be a real challenge to detect. Pictured is the north end of the horse race track which has been here since approximately 1850. Many huge events took place at this park from 1869 through 1932 and I've always felt this area would produce a good find or two for me. Up untill now it has been a major pain in the butt , because about a 1/3 of the area between the swing set and the track is blanketed with metal bingo chips. They are exactly dime size and are made of a piece of aluminum and a piece of copper which have been sandwiched together. I've been told by local detectorist that in the early 70's a bingo hall was set up here on the weekends for a number of years. I would hazard to guess that I've dug between 300- 400 of the little things over the years.

Armed with the Tejon, I started my pattern and was greeted with can-slaw, pulltabs, and normal crap for the first hour. I then dug some clad and a big copper doodad before I hit a good deep signal. It was kind of faint but very repeatable, so I got to digging.
As I'm fishing around in the dirt I get a glimps of silver! Can you see it?

How about now? My heart was pumping because it was easy to see that this was a half dollar!!

My first silver half and it's a S mint Barber to boot!
She's well worn , but I'll gladly take it!

As I calmed down from the rush, I stood up and did my usual re-sweep of the hole. I was very surprised to hear another good signal!
I swiped my hand through the loose soil a couple times and caught another flash of silver!

I took this shot with my stainless hori-hori knife tip at the bottom of the hole for reference. (approx. 10 inches)

Out pops another first! A 1912 Barber quarter!
This one is well worn too but beggars can't be choosers.

At this point I look like an idiot to all the passing cars because I'm doing the funky chicken dance!

I continued to hunt for another 2 hours but did not have any success.
Here's the total when I got back to the truck. I dug a ton of trash not pictured , it's laying in a trash can next to the swing set.

Thanks for looking!

HH
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    cool! i bet theres some seated halves in there. those coins look good to me. i've dug far worse looking barbers.
  • WTG GR on your first half and the quarterimage
    Those are awesome find's keep at that park DD is right there may be seated out there as well.
    HH,Tom
  • You really suck this time, man.

Very noice!

Pound that place there gotta be more goodies. I'd love to take a swing at that grassy place.
    I've yet to find a silver spill. Congratulations.
  • WTG GR! image

funky chicken or even the redneck shuffle... just as long as they don't haul you off in the white jacket image

• SilverDreamsSilverDreams Posts: 427 ✭✭
    WTG! Those are some sweet silver finds! I'm very envious. image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • I am speechless.
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    great finds!
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That silver looks like it did the day it went into the ground. WTG
  • marymmarym Posts: 713
    Sweet sweet sweet!!! I can easily see the big grin and the dance. Matter of fact, it pains me to visualize that dance... lol kiddin' image
    You earned the right to the funky chicken dance!!!
    Be Still and Know
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    What a great feeling finding old coins. Now I cant wait for the weekend to get back out.
  • dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Wow! Very nice coins!
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • nice finds mr. goldrush!...very cool indeed....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Armed with the Tejon >>

I thought that searchcoil looked familiar. image

Those look amazingly clean for dug coins. They really stand out against the dirt.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Very nice John. Two Barbers in one hole is a great find. Did you go to work today or did you call in sick? image

G.
    imageimageimage

• <<...I've dug between 300- 400 of the little things over the years.>>

And by the way, I predict you'll dig a few hundred more.... now. image
  • Thanks everyone!

DD, I hope to find a Seated half to go with the quarter I found last summer.
    These Barbers were high on my wish list this year. I was really stoked when they showed themselves.

It's hard to tell in the pics but both coins have a gun blue toning. Most of the silver I've found in the black dirt around the track has this toning.
    It's easier to see on these 2 previous finds below.
    imageimage

Well, I have to get back to work. Hope to post the May polls in the next day or so.

HH
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage

• << <i>Well, I have to get back to work >>

I knew it, you called in sick for two days you dog.

G.
    imageimageimage
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Sweet...Very Sweet!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation