Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A Libertarian Voice - Keep Politics Out?!

I don't think there is a perfect solution to the challenges presented by the members on this forum. The more people involved, the more differences of opinion there are going to be. I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to creating a new political bureaucracy.

Everyone is being heard on this forum. It seems that if an idea has enough merit,there will be feedback to support it, and PCGS will hear the message. If they don't, we persist and try again. Usually, if there is enough support, I believe change will occur in the direction members are seeking, if we are persistent.

Why institute something that in hindsight may not have been such a good idea?

Why centralize power into a handful of voices, and defeat, or at the least diminish, one of the great strengths of this forum? Its a little messy sometimes, but I think its best left as is.

Keep politics out. Please?!

Comments

• Options
    Rick- you ARE the voice of reason.
    I vote you second-in-command should Mitch decide to take a vacation day every once in awhile.

PS: How's the Viper these days?
  • Options
    Now you have to tell me who you are! You mean the 550hp Viper?
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Hi Rick.
    We already have all that settled and we know what we have to do know to get our issues addressed. There are already several guys over in the "Other Topics for the Council to address" thread expressing their desire for some sort of year sets as more than a few of us collect sets from our birth years and our children's birth years. We collect every single coin issued that year and the highest graded PCGS of course. As soon as we come up with something we'll get with Wondercoin and go from there. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    I have to agree, Rick, that less government is better.

Ken Claypool
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Rick I understand what you mean. I just don't see the harm in picking a group of collectors to work on problems and make recommendations to PCGS. What is all this political bureaucracy about? I mean really if you and I got together and wrote a letter to Rick M about some changes, would that be bad? There are alot of memebers that want to work together on issues relating to the Reg Sets. You make a team, listen to the other collectors, get ideas, provide some solutions, write it up and send it to Rick M, David Hall, David Bowers. Then PCGS will make the final decision. It would just make the Reg Set better.

There is NO real power! There is no money! Just A VOICE!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    Dog 97 -

Thanks for the info.

I know PCGS has already been approached regarding the year set issue. I actually suggested it a few years ago when the Registry started. Even if its not a birth year, imagine owning a 1900 proof set? Its a chunk of change, but a Proof 65 set is a fraction of the price it would have been 12 years ago. Of course, maybe the guy is 102 and it is his birth year.

The explanation at the time was that PCGS had more than enough to do, and would address the issue in the future. I think a bunch of collectors getting together on this issue may convince them the time is now sooner than later.

• Options
    You mean the 550hp...? Is there any other model? It's a beaut! Fire engine RED. Sweet!
  • Options
    Spooly -
    That would be fine. As long there isn't a new layer created for members to work through and be heard. I guess that is what I was concerned about.
    In other words, if a few collectors wanted to address an issue, as you proposed, we could get together and do it, without having to go through this new body. But isn't that what we are doing now?
    And if we do work around a council, why have it?

Maybe one of you can point me to a thread that would explain the purpose to me.

• Options
    Modman -
    They come stock with 450hp. This one has had a little work done on the intake and exhaust, so it inhales and exhales better!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you could send it to Hennessy (or someone like that) and put it up to 650hp. At least that is what the dealer told my best friend as we were ordering his last year.

I agree with Rick here, we don't need anything new. Just get your ideas together, make sure it is something a majority of people feel is needed, and present them to PCGS. At least that is what I think he means.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    dblddie55, On these two points, we agree.
  • Options
    I guess it wouldn't be a hot-rod, if you didn't do a "little work" to it.
  • Options
    dbledie55 -

Hennessey! The problem is I live in California - different emission standards than Texas!
  • Options
    Rick, forgot about the Cali thing. It is actually amazing you can have that much and pass emissions. I live in Montana. We just built an 1,100 HP 540ci for one of our toys. You can build, and drive whatever you want here. Up until a couple of years ago, you could even drive it as fast as you wanted.

ModMan, are you ever serious? Your last post is easy to determine, but others are not. Or is it one of those, we should know things, and be apologizing to you for being upset with what you say?
  • Options
    It's such a pleasure to know there is still true American Horsepower out there. I'm so sick of all these "My coffee can tailpipe is bigger than yours" wanna-be four banger, baggy banging, drooping, neon license plated lowered imports that have breed to unstoppable preportions. I guess any 17 year old punk with a JCWhitney catalog and his dad's Visa is game to impress.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    "PCGS has to come off its arrogance and remember, that w/out the power of the collector, they wouldn't even exist." Well said! This would help PCGS to OPEN UP commuication with the collectors. I know Rick doesn't want to talk about changes with 200 collectors. But he could use a small group to work out ideas and problems. Communication is the key to make the Reg Sets better. Look at the uproar over adding varieties to the Quarter Sets? PCGS added varieties to the set and didn't tell anyone until after it's was done? Did PCGS even ask the collectors for input on the issue?

" They created this beast and need to care and nurture it. Ditto for these boards. " How true, how true!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    dbledie55-

"Just get your ideas together,....."
    That's exactly what I mean - only you said it better.

You have new rods, etc. for that 1100 hp engine, right? I also heard you have to use racing half-shafts if you have more than 700 hp. Let's see - what's your speed limit out there - 90? So it'll take you about 5.5 seconds to reach that speed, and I'll be about a second behind. I better start thinking about moving to Montana.
  • Options
    Rick, you have the advantage of being at sea level. Montana residents would need greater horsepower to make up for their higher altitude.
  • Options
    Modman -
    I heard that if you live in Japan you're not allowed to drive a car with more than 275hp. Or a motorcycle with more than 750 cc. Can you believe that?! If that's true, they make cars and motorcycles they can't even sell to their own people!

America = Freedom = The only way people will be the best they can be.
  • Options
    First of all, the car that engine is in is a 1970 Chevelle (No half shafts, Ford 9"), and there was not one piece in the engine not built specifically for it. I won't say how much it cost, but lets just say you spent a similar amount on a Franklin recently. (guess it was only a half dollar image )

Yes, we are not Sea Level, but neither is a lot of areas in California, the nice thing about the little motor we built is it makes it's own air. Turn the supercharger faster, make up for altitude.

We used to not have a speed limit, it is now 75. Now I had better quit talking about cars, as I have found they cost more than coins, and the resale sucks.

So to keep sort of on track. How many people are contributing editors to the Set Registry, and exactly what does that entail? It would seem they have a lot of the industries "experts" already giving advice, so I guess we need to sort of just chip in a little where we see it is needed.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    ultimatecameo I've surfed your site many times and admired your beautibul Dcams. Since PCGS has started giving the DCam designation to Early PQ Proofs to set them apart from the Brilliant Proofs this should create a competitive spirit and more interest in Early Proofs in general, especially if collectors had a Registry catagory for the "bragging rights." image

We both know these early Proofs are sleepers, especially the Barber series. They just need a little kick and they could take off, and just might after everybody gets burned out on Modern. (Hope Mitch don't read this) I really don't care that much for Moderns other than my 1997 material and would just as soon sell of my Modern Type Set and start an 1897 Proof Set regardless if there's a Registory catagory for it or not. I can collect without a Registry. image

I've also noticed your MS-69 Bullion & Commems in your adds in the coin rags. A step above the MS & Prf 69 DCams one sees on eBay, I might add. I know the Eagle collectors have been eating them up but those sets are about stagnant & complete now. These guys that want Year Sets will qiuckly buy these $500-$800 bullion coins when they are thinking about their little girls birth year. And some of the 1997 are TOUGH!! You might want to join our Year Set thread and add your comments about the feasability of the Year Set.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Dog97 -

Yeah - I especially like the Barber halves in proof cameo - particularly the issues after 1901. I would be surprised if PCGS ever grades a 1902-later in DCAM. They may, but I am still trying to find a 1907 in gem CAM for a client. Also a nice 1912, although it shouldn't be quite as tough as the 1907.
    Anyone know where I can find either date?

I recently bought an 1893 Morgan PCGS PR67DCAM. Fantastic b & w DCAM+ coin! Will try to get a scan up next week.
  • Options
    dbldie55 -

So you had a 454 chevy engine bumped out to 540ci? Supercharging or turbo? How much boost, and does it run on pump gas?

I know there are Viper guys who do that. Its like that magic number "70" in numismatics - that magic number "1,000" as in horsepower. You must have dyno'd the car. My car worked out to about 570hp at the crank. Realistically, I discovered that anything past 500hp can't really be used until about 70mph, unless I'm running slicks, and I don't.

Okay Modman, you started this. What do you drive for pleasure?

• Options
    Okay, is it a 454? no. It is a bowtie block 4.5" bore by 4.25" stroke (a 454 is a 4.25x4.00 block). Every part was brand new for this engine. It has an 8-71 supercharger, made over 900 HP on 92 octane pump gas, and yes this was on a dyno. Also has an incredible torque curve. With exhaust, I would bet it lost over 100 ponies by how much we had to jet it down. Not sure on the boost, no one ever really wanted to watch the gauge while driving it. Yes, it is overkill to the max, but a lot of fun. It has a 4-speed auto (he wanted to use a 5 speed, but when he talked to the manufacturer of them they laughed at him), and 3.89 gears. Cruises at 60 at about 2,200 RPM's. Gas mileage is a little low, but we try not to go very far in any given trip.

As for the altitude, cold air makes up for it, the other night it was below 0, of course now it is snowing hard. You may want to wait a while before you bring a viper up here.