Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wet Liquid Jefferson should I slab? Help

Here is a Proof 57 Jefferson. I love the look of the liquid obverse. The reverse is starting to tone. What are your thoughts anyone?

RACC
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Comments

• Unless there's some personal reason for wanting it slabbed, like it's a treasured heirloom or something, I would not do it. The slab would likely cost much more of the value of the coin.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wet Liquid Jefferson should I slab? >>

No, you should give it to me. image

I love that look.

Seriously, though... to slab or not to slab? Eh, I dunno. I probably wouldn't bother.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I've always disliked brilliant proofs.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need to step back and think about the reasons why coins are slabbed, and there are some very valid reasons. That is aside from the fact that the TPG companies (and some of their on-board lemmings image) will call you their best friend for a while.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    honestly, I would not have that one slabbed.....it's only going to turn in the holder unless it's preserved first. There are better ones to be had at a cheaper cost.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that chrome look myself!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Why would you want to have that one slabbed?
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you already have the coin in a holder of some type... I'd leave it there.

If it was a cameo, then maybe.

Nice coin you got there.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wet Liquid Jefferson should I slab? Help

if it's for monetary gain, probably not a good idea.
    if it's for your personal enjoyment and collection, i think you should.

an alternative might be to keep searching Proof Sets since this date is readily available and the cost isn't very high. doing that, you might learn something, have fun and find a nicer coin. i'm getting ready to send in a small group of Proof Jeffersons via the economy route, if you'd like to send that one along i'd happily include it in the order. in fact, it would be my pleasure to help you out. just PM if you choose that route and we can work out the details.

• << <i>if it's for your personal enjoyment and collection, i think you should. >>

Why should it increase his personal enjoyment of the coin to pay someone to seal it in a plastic holder? I don't get it. Why can't you enjoy a coin for itself and what it is? No we must pay good money for someone to seal it away from us in a hunk of plastic and tell us what THEY think of it before WE are able to enjoy it.

If he pays to have it done so he can enjoy it more, if he then breaks it out again, will he then enjoy it less?
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>if it's for your personal enjoyment and collection, i think you should. >>

Why should it increase his personal enjoyment of the coin to pay someone to seal it in a plastic holder? I don't get it. Why can't you enjoy a coin for itself and what it is? No we must pay good money for someone to seal it away from us in a hunk of plastic and tell us what THEY think of it before WE are able to enjoy it.

If he pays to have it done so he can enjoy it more, if he then breaks it out again, will he then enjoy it less? >>

Great perspective.

The uninformed..not calling you uninformed Morganmanic... and many newbies think that if a coin is slabbed it will have an extra inherent "WORTH" to it.....
    Why you may ask????.....Just read these boards

We should be teaching the uninformed (see the above comment Morganmanic) as well as the newbies that it is the coin itself that is the item they should be interested in....STOP carrying the water for all these TPG companies, stop living in fear that you will get bammed if you don't show adoration, stop trying to win favoritism for future better submissions or variety recognition (we know that would never happen), in general STOP BEING LEMMINGS.....you are not helping out the newbies.

If protection of a coin is all you want, there are many less expensive after market options to holder your coin safely.
    The TPG's offer a great service that, when utilized properly, pay for themselves, but to just have a dollar and a half Lincoln RPM put in plastic because....I can't even think of a because......

Man...this is getting tiring.....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file