Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about coin images

I've noticed very large/detailed images of many coins here on the forum. I was wondering how you get images that are so large. I have a pretty nice digital camera and can not even come close to zooming in enough while staying focused to show the detail some of these photos show. Is there some secret I'm missing or is my camera just not good enough?

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    the right equipment helps. point and shoot cameras can take quite nice photos when you get everything set up properly. Click on the link below.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Turn on the macro setting on your camera. There should be a picture of a flower on or next to the button.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Macro makes the whole difference. It allows you to get in very close and still stay focused
  • Options
    I found that with my camera (an Olympus C-750) that I was able to go to the manufacturer's site and download a manual that was much more detailed than the one that came with the camera. I had already known about the macro setting but found I also had a super macro setting. Also set your camera to the highest quality setting. If you use a program like Photoship Essentials, when you resize the image uncheck where it says Resample and all your pixels will be used in the downsized picture.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file