Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crackouts for Dansco...Do You Set a $ Value Limit Beyond Which You Will Not Crack-Out?

Well, do you?

Example - No coin over $50, $100, $300, etc., etc. and etcetra? Curious to know as I have alot of apprehension cracking anything out.

Thanks.image
imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    For my Dansco 7070 I put a $100 average for each space

Some coins I spend less some I spend more, "ALOT" more

Say yes to crack!!!!!

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most expensive coin I cracked out for my 7070 was an 1813 Classic Head Large Cent @ $750.00 - PCGS graded and the nicest I could find for quite some time.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take is, if it's not overgraded, it should always grade again, and with gradeflation, in 20 years it might even upgrade.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ever you want, I found some for $30 to $600 that are worth a lot more. So find a deal and crack them out and you will be happy, happy.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Thus far the most expensive for me was $800 which was the Classic Head Cent. The $20 Golds were close behind. I dont have the Seated Dollars yet, but I am sure those will be up there too.

Today I cracked out a coronet head half cent! :-)
    Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    I cracked one yesterday for my CBH albumn that I paid $750 for.image
    Gary
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My most expensive coin in the 7070 set was raw (an 1870-CC $1), and I have cracked out quite few coins in the $300-500 range.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My take is, if it's not overgraded, it should always grade again, and with gradeflation, in 20 years it might even upgrade.

JJ >>

Bingo, if the coin is solid for the current grade I dont care how much I paid for it when I crack it.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have cracked out quite few coins in the $300-500 range. >>

How many in the $3,000 to $5,000 range?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have cracked out quite few coins in the $300-500 range. >>

How many in the $3,000 to $5,000 range? >>

I don't have any coins in my 7070 album in that price range.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a piker compared to those above me in this thread....for ours, the most expensive one I have cracked has been ~$60 or less I think.
    Since it is for my 5 year old son and I to do, I don't want to chance him grabbing one wrong or ruining one.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were still doing a Dansco, I would probably have a limit somewhere in the $200s, though with my recently-abandoned Dansco 7094 commem type set I cracked out an ANACS AU58 details (cleaned) Pan-Pac half that cost me in the mid-$300s.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ya gotta do what ya gotta do....

imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw shucks, shuckins, that shore is purdy. image

PS- for a Dansco gold page like that, I can certainly understand crackouts. That way you know you are getting genuine coins (who wants to buy raw gold?), but you can crack 'em out and put 'em in the album and keep the inserts.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I also try to limit my crackouts to around $200 or lessimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    My Seated Dollar and Classic Head LC were 1K+. I forget what the gold cost.

If and when I decide to sell, I'll resubmit the pricey coins. With gradeflation, they'll probably grade higher. Or I'll put them back in the original holders and glue them shut image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I have cracked out quite few coins in the $300-500 range. >>

How many in the $3,000 to $5,000 range? >>

I don't have any coins in my 7070 album in that price range.

I was assuming that there were a few crackable coins in slabs in that price range.image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Everything in my 7070 is under $500.
  • Options
    I know a collector who craked out many coins for his Dansco. anywhere from $100.00 to $6,000.00 Many 19th centrury proofs reside in this set. Myself personally. I usally buy the coins raw to start with me. Highest cracked coin for me is $200.00. But I have many hgiher priced coins in my set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file