Home Sports Talk

Clemens to pitch for Yankees against White Sox on Monday

Tentative anyway, subject to last minute change of course. He says he is ready. Most likely the game will be on ESPN.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go White Sox!
  • He pitched on this past Monday...all set to go for a weekend tilt against the Red Sox...but waits until Monday? Did he dodge Boston?
  • MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>He pitched on this past Monday...all set to go for a weekend tilt against the Red Sox...but waits until Monday? Did he dodge Boston? >>

Yes, I think this was a deliberate decision on the Yankees part not to have his first start for the them be at Boston in front of an angry
    crowd. Possibly getting rattled by the fans and losing the game is not the way the Yankees would want to see him start for them.

Much easier to skip that series of games and go against the White Sox on Monday.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He pitched on this past Monday...all set to go for a weekend tilt against the Red Sox...but waits until Monday? Did he dodge Boston? >>

He just didn't want to get booed/shelled out of the stadium, that is REALLY weak!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    how can he not pitch against the red sox? for the money he's getting they can pick up a game directly against the team in front of them and he sits until monday?????

how????
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>how can he not pitch against the red sox? for the money he's getting they can pick up a game directly against the team in front of them and he sits until monday?????

how???? >>

It is still early in the season but being so far away from first place against the Red Sox they probably see more downside potential in him losing against Boston than upside potential in him winning against them.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

Yes - absolutely - 100% - no question about it.

How's that for my answer?

It also shows that he is basically a number 4 starter for NY, because the lame excuse Torre gave for not pitching Fat Billy this weekend at Boston was that he didn't want to replace Wang, Pettite, or Mussina in any of those games. So, you pay all that money for him, and you don't use him in a series against the division leader?
    Talk about ridiculas, how emmbarrising is this for New York and Clemens? I realize he was supposed to be the Yankees saving grace this year and a huge slap in the face for Boston but this is just comical! Afraid to get booed out of Boston!!! image
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    LOL cmon you guys...I hope you're all joking! Who is going to throw any pitcher out there against a formidable team, let alone the division leaders when the guy surely cant have his "A" game yet! It doesnt matter if it's Clemens or God himself! LOL

Again, no one expecting him to be the savior (Except maybe the NY Post). I know you Bosox fans want to hang on to that with your dear life! LOL

There's a lot of season left boys and girls! Let it play out! image
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Actually, as much as I would love to see Clemens pitch in Fenway, it doesn't make any sense to shift the rotation at the moment. The Yankees have got all three of their top rotation guys scheduled from Boston. This is actually what they need and is the smart thing to do.

From an inspirational sense, Yes, it would be a great shot in the arm for the Yanks to have him pitch in one of the games and actually win one. But at the same time, they are upseting the rotation on a gamble. It can especially bad if he gets shelled.

I think this is a Torre decision and Francona would probably do the same.
  • Lets see...

The guy goes to Yankee stadium like a knight on a white horse during a game to announce he is back...he is getting paid as well as any pitcher in MLB....he dictates to the Yankees his terms of when he will travel with the team...

yet he is not able to take the hill against the team in first place even though he is ready(if he wasn't ready, then he wouldn't be pitching on Monday).

All that show, yet no substance behind it.

Saying that the Yankees have their 'top three' pitchers lined up to face the Red Sox is akin to saying you are the tallest midget.

Seems to me that with all the hoopla and money thrown at Clemens that he would be number one with no questions asked. Their number one pitcher should be pitching immediately after his four days of rest are up...not on six days...unless they are dodging something.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Nice thing about yankeeno7, is that if there is an exaggeration out there he will manage to insert it into one of his posts. I nominate him for Mr. Exaggeration. image They usually contain either the word everyone (as in everyone thinks Jeter is overrated or No one as in Clemens the savior). A little less drama and your posts might be taken more seriously.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    "Roger has 28 million reasons why he should not start against the Red Sox."

-- Kim Etheredge

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>Nice thing about yankeeno7, is that if there is an exaggeration out there he will manage to insert it into one of his posts. I nominate him for Mr. Exaggeration. image They usually contain either the word everyone (as in everyone thinks Jeter is overrated or No one as in Clemens the savior). A little less drama and your posts might be taken more seriously. >>

Just the way I explain things...I'll try to change that to "a good number of people" just for you from now on! image Either that or you are reading it the way you wish to interpretate it but I think most (see, I didnt say EVERYONE else) get what Im trying to say.

And if you take me that seriously then its time to sort out your priorities! LOL
  • From an inspirational sense, Yes, it would be a great shot in the arm for the Yanks to have him pitch in one of the games and actually win one.

The Yankees won one without Raja last night and they had plenty of inspiration.

In last night's game the Red Sox looked very tense. The Yankees look relaxed like they were playing with nothing to loose.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
    The Yankees will not start Roger Clemens on Monday in Chicago, after all. Clemens hurt his groin during his last minor league start for Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Monday and has been unable to shake the discomfort. He will miss the Chicago series and perhaps be lost for two more weeks. Kei Igawa, who has been in the minors for about a month as he revamps his delivery, is expected to start on Monday against the White Sox.

image You just can't make this stuff up!
    Besides that, Yankee fans - you guys are going to need Clemens to hold off those pesky Devil Rays.
    CTSox...where did you get that from? I'd like to read the entire article.
    Found one.....just follows the course for the yanks season...sigh...
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's $3 million down the drain...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    What is he doing pulling his groin at 45 years old anyways, hasn't he become the master of his domain?

<< <i>That's $3 million down the drain... >>

Damn him...he needs to give that much of paycheck back! LOL
  • I hope the Yankees took out an insurance policy on Raja.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • I just heard that Roger's contract doesn't start until he throws his first pitch for the Yankees and it is prorated so it is costing Clemens money not the Yankees.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    couldn't have happened to a better team!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Let me guess you are either a Pirates, Cubs, or Phillies fan.

• Is Clemens going to demand next that he only gets to pitch against the Royals, Tampa, and the anemic Oakland offense?

I'll still take Tom Seaver over Clemens. I am sure Seaver wishes there were an influx of garbage pitchers in MLB when he was pitching so that he too could be compared against a league average that included a bunch of awful pitchers....thus making him look much better than he truly was!

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point, the Yanks should just bag Clemens and let their young arms get some experience.

<< <i>Is Clemens going to demand next that he only gets to pitch against the Royals, Tampa, and the anemic Oakland offense? >>

I wouldn't be all that surprised! It was reported today that he might make his debut now against the powerful Pirates offense (!) next weekend, at home in NY - which is the perfect way to spoon-feed him an easy start.
  • <<At this point, the Yanks should just bag Clemens and let their young arms get some experience>>

I am agree 100%. As a Yankee fan just when I think they are going to take another path and go with young players such as Cano, Melky and Hughes they go after Rent-a-Raja for $19 Million.

As I am leaning towards agreeing with that, Cashman wouldnt let it happen. His job is on the line!!! He is praying for a huge Yankees streak of wins and a huge streak of Bosox losses!!!
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evidently, his contract starts when he pitched in the majors - so forget my $3m line. He is only hurting himself financially.
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i> His job is on the line!!! He is praying for a huge Yankees streak of wins and a huge streak of Bosox losses!!! >>

Bring out the executioner then because that is not going to happen.
    Yeah, the Grim Reaper has his sickle ready to make its swipe....and underneath the cloak is good ole Georgie boy