Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Creative set-up for tilted coin photography??? Mr. Mgoodm3, what do you think. Members comments are

I am trying to get ready to start taking some photos of coins tilted. Mainly for toned, PL, etc. This is just an idea I came up with when Mr. Goodman described the Nikon 85mm Tilt Macro Lens. I am definitely thinking of buying this "MACRO LENS"
based upon his comments. Even though it "IS" very pricey. But, I thought of this "set-up" just to see if I can do the exact purpose (at least almost) of this macro lens. All this shots that I took with coin are all pre-hand. This is just mainly to show the members what it looks like. I will spend a lot of time this weekend to take some shots (good luck to me!!).

1) The piece that the coin is on is CNC Machined at 10 Degrees. Material is TEFLON (to avoid coin scratching).
2) A small adjustable angle block.
3) 10 Deg Parallel Block.
4) And last but not least, a small level.

Can't wait to start taking pictures!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Looks complicated. I just tilt slabs up on small stacks of nickels that I glue together. Typically 3 or 6 nickels. If I am shooting raw coins, I cut a small piece of white paper to fit inside the rims of an ANACS or NGC slab and put the coin onto that. the rims keep the coin from sliding off.

THe 85 PC macro lens takes a bit of use to really get a feel for how it works and how to adjust it. It's very fiddly and requires good eyesight to get the angle set right. Then the added complication in that it is entirely manual and you have to focus it and manually set the aperture. Damn fine glass though. I also prefer to use it with a 25mm extension tube to help give it a little more mag (it only focuses to 1:2 naturally)
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    The Teflon does not really stay on top of the adjustable angle block during photo shooting. This tool is mainly to square the copy stand parallel to the teflon piece.
    That is why I have the "SET 10 Deg Block". It does look complicated image. My main objective to get some kind of a compound angle going so I can have more light
    placement. Also, as you can see, the teflon base where the coins will be place has a step to keep the coins/slabs from sliding off.
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I have never had a coin scratched by Vinyl. Mints use it for shoots, trays etc. Perfect for proofs.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file