Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever discovered that a coin purchase ...

MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
... revealed to you numismatic tunnelvision or a blindspot? This one did for me. I bought an 1893 Columbian yesterday. Thought it had probably resided in someone's collection and then made it into circulation for a brief period. I was totally fixated on evaluating the toning of the coin and completely missed the harsh cleaning and defacing of the obverse and the two rim dings seen in the obverse photo (at 6:00 and at 3:30). I totally forgot to evaluate the coin as a whole. I got lucky this time - the coin cost me $8. An inexpensive lesson in looking thoroughly before pulling the trigger. I imagine that this was a looker in its day. Someone apparently didn't care for that look.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best example got caught before I bought it... nice electric green on a 1913 T1 buffalo, but the rest of the coin was almost burnt and dead... good thing I didn't buy it.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    I did it once with a 1903 Morgan at an auction. I saw the coin in florescent lighting (the first bad thing) and was so impressed by the mark free surfaces, that I really missed the fact that the coin was overdipped. This was clearly evident after the purchase. It was still a decent coin, just not worth quite what I paid for it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    Sorry, I can't top your example. At first I did overlook the rims of the coins...
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    This one hurt.....................local auction, get to the auction a bit late, saw the coin in display case and noticed it's one of my favorite dates.

Bid and win the coin..image

get the coin home, dang...image

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Please don't buy any more coins until you spend time with someone qualified to show you how and what to look for.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Been there.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    That hurts. I bought an early copper in a 2x2 at a show (not very expensive), which looked great, but when I got it home, it was obviously cleaned at a certain point near the edge. Nothing harsh, but the coin did not have as much appeal to me after I noticed it.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file