Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

airtight food storage containers for safe coin storage?

sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
Amazon link
High grade, durable polypropylene plastic
100% air- and water-tight
Special silicone sealing ring for super strong seal
4 easy snap latches lock in freshness
Stackable

What do you think about putting coins in something like this for moisture protection inside cheap firesafes? Suppose it would solve the moisture problem inherent in such safes given their wet fire insulation material, along with still using silica gel in the main safe compartment?

Comments

• Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Use fruit jars. They're cheaper. They're the "original slab".

Ray
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Use fruit jars. They're cheaper. They're the "original slab".

Ray >>

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Those are the same containers that I have been using for a little while now. Throw in a handful of dessicant packs and a humidity indicator strip and you're good to go. I've placed my proof sets and other smaller items inside a smaller container with silica gel, and then put a few of the smaller ones into a larger container also with silica gel and a humidity strip.

It also helps to protect boxes and cases from scratching.

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    Where can you buy silica gel? I think getting the containers mentioned by sumrtym and the gel would really be good for my silver. I have quite a few sets of the 20th anniv silver eagles including 5x 70 sets and I would hate to see them develop milk spots.
    To start with I was thinking of placing them in the refrigerator (good for a dehumidifier) but then didn't want to upset the wife...
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't trust the fridge to be dry. Not to mention the fact that if you take cold coins out of the fridge, you'll get immediate condensation.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For everyone else there's
    PCGS Plastic.

Though some would argue that it's a Kool-Aid™ Cointainer image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file