Home Sports Talk
Options

Another Bush League act by A-Rod

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
Shouting to distract the Toronto infielders on a pop fly. Yeah it worked, but he broke an unwritten rule among players. He justifies it because they were "desperate" for a win. Well, at least he is being honest. image

Once again, real class from the Quarter Billion Dollar Man. Then again, he may be trying to distract from the stripper story.

Comments

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Don't outfielders and infielders try and deek the runners after a throw or ball goes by them? To me to get fooled like that is just an excuse, I mean come on and then to use it as an excuse for losing the game is also weak. Reminds me of the excuses people used after the Buckner error.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I agree. The Blue Jays are being babies.

They would not hesitate to decoy a base runner or pull a hidden ball trick on someone. He didnt say..I got it....but even if he did, so what. It was not going to cause the fielder to get hit by the ball and injured. Fielders can pull tricks but not runners?
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Don't outfielders and infielders try and deek the runners after a throw or ball goes by them? To me to get fooled like that is just an excuse, I mean come on and then to use it as an excuse for losing the game is also weak. Reminds me of the excuses people used after the Buckner error. >>

This is just my opinion, but to me there's a huge difference between deeking runners and calling for a pop fly as a runner. Players call for the ball primarily to keep from running into each other so they don't get hurt. I don't really see how deeking a runner can injure a player, but if runners started calling for the ball every time there was a popup the fielders would have to start ignoring those calls and serious injuries could result.

If he did call for the ball (which he denies) then I think this is just one more example of him being a poor loser and hiding behind the "we do whatever it takes to win" mantra even if doing what it takes to win includes overly aggressive slides and slapping balls out of gloves. I think Derek Jeter does whatever he can do to help the team win, but you never hear about him doing this kind of thing.

At any rate, I believe this is another one of those unwritten rules. It's just something you don't do. Even Joe Torre seemed to have a hard time defending A-Rod on this one. Torre was quoted as saying: "I don't know what to feel for it. It's not like he said, 'I got it.'" To me that implies that if A-Rod really did call for it, Torre is saying that was wrong of him.
  • Options
    I also wanted to add that I think it's weak for the Blue Jays to use that as an excuse for losing the game, but A-Rod is claiming to have yelled whatever he yelled with desperation for a win as the reason for yelling. That seems equally weak to me.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>This is just my opinion, but to me there's a huge difference between deeking runners and calling for a pop fly as a runner. Players call for the ball primarily to keep from running into each other so they don't get hurt. I don't really see how deeking a runner can injure a player, but if runners started calling for the ball every time there was a popup the fielders would have to start ignoring those calls and serious injuries could result. >>

That's my opinion as well - but are we really surprised that ARod would do this? Stuff like this is becoming par for the course for 'ol Slappy.
  • Options
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    How ridiculous. Not just because I am a Yanks fan but this happens in baseball ALL THE TIME. You just dont see any players stupid enough to fall for it. Wouldnt you know the voice of your fellow teammate? Just a bunch of whining.
  • Options
    It sounds like a Little League play to me.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It sounds like a Little League play to me. >>

exactly.

how many times has Jeter done this?

How many times have we seen Jeter slide into second and then go out of his way to throw a forearm into the opposing player?

How many times has Jeter swatted a ball out of someone's glove?

no class play period, no matter what team.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I agree that it's not a classy thing to do...at all....but one can't deny that it does happen a whole lot more often then we hear about.
  • Options
    the boys on baseball tonight said if Jeter did this no one would say a word. the Blue Jays player was punk'd plain and simple. Its only news cause its A-fraud.
  • Options

<< <i>So according to the Red Sox fans here, no one should EVER collide at home plate with a catcher because that would cause and injury??? That has a MUCH higher chance of injury and it's all in the name of trying to win. >>

Nice try, but that's a red herring argument right there. Besides that, catchers wear extra gear to help protect themselves and they are normally aware of the fact that someone is barreling down the line at them.

No one said you shouldn't go all out to win or that you shouldn't be aggressive. That's not the issue. The issue is that what A-Rod (allegedly) did was classless and it's generally understood that it's not something class acts do.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So according to the Red Sox fans here, no one should EVER collide at home plate with a catcher because that would cause and injury??? That has a MUCH higher chance of injury and it's all in the name of trying to win. >>

PLEASE! That is part of the game being a Catcher, there is zero comparison there.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    For those who think that what A-Rod did was okay, riddle me this...

YOUR pitcher is throwing a perfect game, winning by ample runs, bottom 9, and 2 outs. Batter lays down a bunt and reaches base with a hit.

It's not against the rules but is that okay or would you consider it bush league?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I say do anything to win period. If it's against the rules then you will be penalized. Was he kicked out or the run taken off the board? I was at the Reds game last week and heard players shouting at each other during pop ups. If you can't figure out who should take the ball on a pop up then go back to the minors. BTW most teams have this stuff figured out in spring training, and there is one guy on the infield and outfield that is supposed to call off or call for people to make plays usually the SS and CF and they usually point as well as say the dudes name.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>For those who think that what A-Rod did was okay, riddle me this...

YOUR pitcher is throwing a perfect game, winning by ample runs, bottom 9, and 2 outs. Batter lays down a bunt and reaches base with a hit.

It's not against the rules but is that okay or would you consider it bush league? >>

• Options
    Stown I for one would say Bush league
  • Options
    For those who think that what A-Rod did was okay, riddle me this...

It's not against the rules but is that okay or would you consider it bush league?

I saw Kenny Lofton try this to ruin Jim Abbott's no hitter - imagine laying down a bunt to screw a one-armed dude...

All I'll say about Arods play is that it's par for the course the way the guy plays.
  • Options

<< <i>

All I'll say about Arods play is that it's par for the course the way the guy plays. >>

I respect that coming from a Yankee fan.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> All I'll say about Arods play is that it's par for the course the way the guy plays. >>

I respect that coming from a Yankee fan. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Just win baby... Just win.

Unwritten rules are for punks image