Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this 1859-D Quarter Eagle? Big price jump to next grade...

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
What do you think of this coin? Here are some facts about it:

--Only 2,244 examples of this date were produced
--It is historically significant as the final quarter eagle produced at the Dahlonega mint
--The coin is original

PCGS Pop: 22 with 9 higher
NGC Pop: 38 with 9 higher

Trends: $12,500
Current price: $8,500

Here is the interesting part-- This date has a huge price jump to the next grade with a Trends value of $23,000 in MS60. With the current grade-flation, this coin is almost guaranteed to be an MS60 someday. Is this the type of coin that you would take a gamble on, in the hope for a big score to MS60? The coin is dirt cheap in the AU58 grade, so maybe this has some potential. What do you think?

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Not MS by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't think it will ever be.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree, good value
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Buy good value today and let tomorrow take care of itself.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it is a nice choice AU coin, but it has no prayer of ever being considered MS. Buy it because you like it for what it is, not for what it could be.
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    I agree its a value. I have a difficult time telling with alot of southern gold if its a strike issue or wear. Either way its a nice coin.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree its a value. I have a difficult time telling with alot of southern gold if its a strike issue or wear. Either way its a nice coin. >>

Strike weak on the eagle's right leg, happens even on some Philly issues as well as the southern mints.
    I think it's a great coin and worth owning regardless, especially if you can snag it at a good price. I've noticed lately even later date low mintage Philly issues (80's) have begun to command better prices more in line with their scarcity as their low mintages would suggest. It's a wonderful series and even trying to complete a date set is daunting to say the least...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather see it in hand. The lighting and the black background as well as the image could make this one look alittle better than it is. I like the look of the coin. Having said that, I think this is an example worth pursuing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I like that coin.....

Personally I get coins that I like at a price that I think is fair.....

I don't purchase anything with the idea that I will get rich off of it in the future, I don't think about coin in that fashion.....

Agree that purchase it because you like it not because you might make money off of it.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. The coin is an NGC AU58. I find that NGC tends to be a little aggressive with grading southern gold (about a grade level above PCGS), so I am also factoring that into the equation.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    a great coin!
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    very nice, but my my, what a price tag.
  • Options
    Nice coin. That's why I like gold becuase there are so many rarities that are very undervalued.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin. That's why I like gold becuase there are so many rarities that are very undervalued. >>

Yes, there are lots!
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    A very attractive coin in AU, but no, it will never be an Unc. Gradeflation doesn't necessarily mean that in 5 years all current AU55s or AU58s will be MS60
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think of this 1859-D Quarter Eagle? >>

I think it has a Dahlonega mintmark on it.

Which means you could toss it down in a gravel parking lot and back a pickup truck over it repeatedly and I would still lust after it.

Nice field to play in if you can afford the admission fees. I can't. Maybe one day I will have a holey "C" or "D" gold dollar or something, for my hat.

That coin has a nice look to it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file