Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Key Dates for Indian Head Cents

I'm kind of getting into collecting indian head cents and was wondering what a few key dates might be. Just looking to start the collection and was hoping for some help finding the right coins to begin with. Any key dates would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    08-S and 09-S ain't too bad either.
    Very popular

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Check the PCGS price guide and, in the low grades, see which ones are most highly priced.

1864-L
    1866-1872
    1878 (to a lesser extent)
    1908-S
    1909-S

- not including some popular errors. 1877 is the biggie, followed by 1871, 1872 and 1909-S.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

1888 comes to mind (8 over 7) get yourself a red book it's great for the collector.
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    As far as right coins to begin with - if you go for the keys - don't go for raw "bargains", buy them certified, and problem-free (i.e., pleasing to your eye.) It very likely will serve you well, if you're a true beginner, to pick up cheap ones first, and develop your eye for "nice" vs. not.

www.rare-coins.com has a few of the better dates listed, and you could do much worse than to start your shopping there. There are other good sources for problem-free coins, but this is definitely one of the best.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file