Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Suspicious PSA Label

Do PSA labels do this if subjected to too much light? Any ideas? You can't even buy graded cards with pictures these days. Jeez.
I won this:
2000 Collectors Edge Thomas Jones Update PSA9
I received this:
With a label like this:

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I think it is just a bad scan.
  • That one is a bit extreme, but it's not uncommon at all for the PSA labels to be, uh, wavy.

Some batches I've gotten back from them are more 'wavy' than others.

Assume it's caused by the process that seals the case together.

Anyone else?
    Collecting my sports heroes, Roger Staubach and Kirby Puckett.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I have a few slabs with slightly wavy lables. Some I bought on Ebay, some in submissions.

Is the scanner making this look worse, or does it really show discoloration?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Oops I see what you mean, I have had a couple that have had some waves, but not to that extreme. Not sure what causes that?
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Some batches I've gotten back from them are more 'wavy' than others."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

When bidding on these, it is probably prudent to
    deduct the cost of reholdering from your max bid.

MANY buyers will tend to get upset when they get
    labels with waves.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • The darker part is the downside of the waves. But my scan does make it look a little worse than it actually is.
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Somebody here got a bad feedback when the buyer went spastic over a label like that. Seems like I get them in the box that way sometimes.

• << <i>"Some batches I've gotten back from them are more 'wavy' than others."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

When bidding on these, it is probably prudent to
    deduct the cost of reholdering from your max bid.

MANY buyers will tend to get upset when they get
    labels with waves. >>

I paid $4 for it so I'm too bent outa shape about it. Just wanted to know what can cause this. Kinda sucks it doesn't show up in the auction because I wouldn't have bid on it. So if this is a common happening I guess I'm ok with it. I only have about 15 PSA cards and this is the only one with waves in the label.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Hello Sooner,

Wavy labels are not too rare. Having said that I looked through all my 2000 CE Supreme and all have straight labels.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Label's fine.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

• << <i>Hello Sooner,

Wavy labels are not too rare. Having said that I looked through all my 2000 CE Supreme and all have straight labels.

Mark >>

Thanks buddy. I've decided to take a shot at a graded set along with trying to finish the base. Been picking up some of the PSA Update's that you guys haven't picked off. Have a PSA10 Pennington coming I got for less than $5. Got ahold of some BGS 9.5 Perfect 10's of Pennington($6.50) and Arrington($4). Figured they would work until I could snipe out some PSA examples of them. Bought them from the same seller who didn't really list them very good. Arrington was listed as 2000 CES perfect 10 and Pennington as 2000 ce supreme perfect 10
  • The label looks like it's water-damaged
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "Have a PSA10 Pennington coming I got for less than $5."

It is a nice set price/design/rarity wise, and has a fair amount of cool players. The PSA 10's are about 1 in 10 cards due to the foil, yet most will sell for under $5 before shipping. I keep thinking about hoarding them.....but wisely come to my senses....image

I have an extra Cole PSA 9 you can have for $4 with shipping if wanted.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

• << <i>"Have a PSA10 Pennington coming I got for less than $5."

It is a nice set price/design/rarity wise, and has a fair amount of cool players. The PSA 10's are about 1 in 10 cards due to the foil, yet most will sell for under $5 before shipping. I keep thinking about hoarding them.....but wisely come to my senses....image

I have an extra Cole PSA 9 you can have for $4 with shipping if wanted.

Mark >>

Have one that I bought in 2000 thanks though