Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Last Day before Set awards

I just looked at the MOSH's sets and he updated every ALL-Time team set in football. Holy crap! image

When will the money stop rolling in. His collection has to be worth a few Million. Anyone ever thought how much he/they have invested?

Comments

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    How important are the set awards to most collectors? I am working on several sets with one (61 Topps BB) complete. I use the registry to help me keep up with my inventory, but I do not worry about my place on the registry. Maybe this is because I know I will never be #1 in any year. Are there others who feel the same way?
  • Options
    I don't care about the awards. I use the registry to built sets but remove them afterwards.
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone ever thought how much he/they have invested? >>

Yes, but then I quickly stop thinking about it, depression may start to set in....image

<< <i>I use the registry to help me keep up with my inventory, but I do not worry about my place on the registry. Maybe this is because I know I will never be #1 in any year. Are there others who feel the same way? >>

I will never have the kind of cash to top any of the lists of sets I collect.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I use it as inventory but many of my cards are not in sets yet. But I do like the competition.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I use it as inventory and to meet others with similar interests. Certainly not as competition, but to each his own.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I think to the ultra rich and competitve collectors it is seen as a challenge to be #1. To the rest not of us not so much. The thing is you might have the #1 insert obscure player set here collection but if any of the big guys ever wanted to build it you would be #2 real quick. So I quit losing sleep on it and just tried to finish my sets in the condition goals I can afford. One thing I do know is that DEALERS pay close attention to what sets big time collectors are building and the pops in those sets. You can bet that at this time of the year phones are ringing off the hook of collectors trying to finish out or bump up these #1 sets.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I use it to advertise and thrive on the competition.

Entered 14 sets in the last 90 minutes. Had another 35 but ran out of time.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I submitted over 300 cards in mid March and the cards weren't entered until April 3rd. I need them to hit #1 in several sets but PSA has gone to the last minute and the cards still haven't been graded. Tomorrow wil be the 43rd business day image There are worse things in life but I'm still dissapointed.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    artimusartimus Posts: 684
    after the awards....can we expect to see some sets for sale?.......does that usually happen after awards time?.....
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Reference and competition...and, the cards look pretty cool in the slabs...especially when there is a 9 or 10 attached to it.

I started my McGwire Master set as a raw collection. John Woody sold me his #1 set about 3 years ago (at the time is was less than 100 cards). Up to that point I had never even thought about PSA graded cards. I WAS HOOKED. I looked through all of mine and started to submit. I have submitted around 1000 cards in the last 3 years (98% of them have been McGwire's). I have grown the Master collection to over 1260 cards, now. I still buy raw and graded cards and have developed a friendship with the #2 guy. We have different reasons and goals for our collections, but each like the challenge of growing and improving McGwire Master Set Leaders. We are at 50.08% and 40.98% respectively with the #3 All-Time at 13.79%. The #2 set (Walt) has a Weighted GPA of 9.70 (WWWOOOOOWWWW!!) With almost half of the set complete he is almost a 1/2 point above the Possible Finest Rating...pretty cool!!

Late last year, I decided to put together a Hoyt Wilhelm collection. I live in Huntersville, NC and he is, by far, the most famous person from this town. I was able to assemble a complete Base Set and about 70% of the Master Set. I am improving the Base Set when and where I can and would like to have it to an 8 or better by the end of this year.

Thanks to all of the regular post'ers on the Message Board. I thumb through it nearly every night and get hours of entertainment from reading and learning from you guys.

Thanks for letting me ramble.