Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What will this grade?

What do yall think. This was graded by PSA but It looks GEM MINT so Im trying again.
This card has perfect color and such sharp corners. It is a little rough on top but not that bad. What do yall think of it???? Ive been measuring and scaning over this entire card for over 40 min.

Comments

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Top 2 corners look a bit fuzzy? I would guess an 8...very sweet card!
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This was graded by PSA but It looks GEM MINT..... >>

So are you saying that it used to be a PSA 9?
    I wont tell.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Very nice card...no way it has a shot at a 10 though. 30% chance of a 9, 70% chance of an 8 as long as there are no wrinkles or other surface issues that I cant see.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on now...the OP isn't going to crack a PSA 9 of this card. Did it come back rejected? Some of those corners look a little suspicious but I'm not 100% sure from the scan. I've seen that card with surface wrinkles and if it has them, it's gonna be a 5 - if not looks like a high end 8. Centering is beautiful! Did you buy it as a 5 and crack it?
    No it was a PSA 8 but it was bc one of the corners was bent up just a touch, and I just put it in a screw down for 5 min and it looks perfect. Not wear or a bend just a tiny tiny lift. I checked it with several cards to check its size as Its hard to believe a mint looking card and it matched perfectly. I think it will grade a 9. it shows no wear.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No it was a PSA 8 but it was bc one of the corners was bent up just a touch, and I just put it in a screw down for 5 min and it looks perfect. Not wear or a bend just a tiny tiny lift. I checked it with several cards to check its size as Its hard to believe a mint looking card and it matched perfectly. I think it will grade a 9. it shows no wear. >>

Well you can give it a go for a 9, but I'll tell you frankly, it's still going to be tough with a corner like that to get a 9. I've got a Mattingly 82 Columbus Clippers with 3 razor sharp corners and one corner with the tiniest touch and it's an 8. Hopefully you get the grader at 4:55pm on Friday who just wants to run out the door and slaps a quick 9 on it. Certainly nobody buying that card in a 9 holder would be disappointed. But from your post I think you are even looking for a possible 10. Good luck!
    Yea but the 1 corner that made it an 8 is fine. It just needed to be put in a screw down. Its normal now and under a loop it shows no wear on it.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Yea but the 1 corner that made it an 8 is fine. It just needed to be put in a screw down. Its normal now and under a loop it shows no wear on it. >>

I think the graders run their fingers lightly across the corners looking for any kind of weakness in the cardboard. If they find it, they knock the grade for it.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    Ive never heard that.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Trimmed, IMO, the top, and side borders look good and straight but the bottom is the only that is tilted.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Do you still have the flip?

With that tilt and soft corner, personally, would have been happy with an 8..

And edited to add: It does not appear that the T/B tilts are proportional IMO
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Yep it is trimmed. I just couldnt figure out how. It has been soaked and then pressed to make it bigger and then they trimmed it perfectly. The sides are smoth which they should not be. Its also a little skinny thickness wise. They didnt mess up on cutting it its perfectly square not a wave or anything, perfect 90 degree corners. Who ever did this is an expert! And they have fooled PSA on some very nice grades. Im 100% sure this card is altered but Im taking it tomorrow to a card show in Houston to confirm. The serial number it came out of was 05241296 and if you scroll 20+ up and down that number on the verification browser you will see what all might have the same problems. Makes me kinda scared that someone can do this well enough to fool PSA. There are several serial numbers missing as if someone cracked and resub(doing what I was going to do) and there are several low pop and PSA 9 hofers all from the same year. Its kinda scarry. I couldnt tell with it in the case but now I can see the edges and it doesnt look right. Im not happy at all with my buy. And know Im stuck with it.
    I also have a pic of it in the case
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    I'm confused. First you are acting like the card is perfect and then you tell us how it is trimmed and that you aren't happy. Maybe I'm missing something but some one please fill me in.
    Ive been looking over and over this card bc It seems Gem Mint and I think it is but I think its to good to be true. Im now thinking it could be trimmed. yes at first I thought it was mint. Thats why I busted it out. But after time with it out I am starting to think it was altered even though PSA did grade it once.
    Ok, thanks for clearing it up. It just seemed like your attitude toward the card changed so drastically very quickly and I didn't understand why.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to sound skeptical but your story isn't adding up.

Care to give one explanation?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>Sorry to sound skeptical but your story isn't adding up.

Care to give one explanation? >>

Ok,if I understand correctly this is what happened. Handyman bought a PSA 8 Matthews and thought that it was worthy of a 10 so cracked the case. After hearing opinions, scanning the card and studying it he has decided that it is tampered. He also came up with a possible scenario (wetting the card) as to how the card was tampered and that it is in fact trimmed. He's now pissed off at his buy and probably really mad that he cracked the case. Handyman you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is some what correct.
    Couldnt have said it any better. Yes the opinions made me worried and I kinda thought the top border looked off. But what is wierd is the card measures perfectly how it should. Either an amazing card or amazing work. Def. not hand cut, it looks like the guy has a machine, flawless.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I think the graders run their fingers lightly across the corners looking for any kind of weakness in the cardboard. If they find it, they knock the grade for it.

Ive never heard that. >>

I suspect that. I've sent in a few cards with slightly soft corners that I flattened a bit with some books and Card Saver 1. The cards came back in slabs with appropriate grades, but the corners had been un-flattened so that they're quite obvious within the slab.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • other food for thought : that is and older slab, didn't PSA have some problems with grading a long time ago? just MOO