Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone collect US type by denomination?

I've long considered collecting a complete type set of 25c. Anyone else thought about this too?

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting idea, I've never tried it but I like the concept. Do you have a target grade for the set you'r thinking about? Fairly easy in circ grades but tough on the wallet for complete unc set if possible.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Everything post- capped bust can be obtained in fairly high grade for pretty cheap. It's the flowing hair stuff that gets kind of pricey.
  • Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I would love to do a type set of $50 coins, but the Pan Pac is way out of my price range.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Kind of for me. My main thrust is a CNS Type Set. Since PCGS started registry sets by denomination, I have also entered these. My 20 & 25 Cent Type Set
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to finish up a gold type set. Almost there...
  • Options
    itsnotjustme, cool type set you got going. Isn't it kind of odd that PCGS includes the 20c into the 25c denomination?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>itsnotjustme, cool type set you got going. Isn't it kind of odd that PCGS includes the 20c into the 25c denomination? >>

Well, a lot of people thought it was a quarter back in 1875, so why not PCGS? image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go with the Library of Coins type set (two album set) you will end up with what you are asking about for everything short of gold.

It really is a very comprehensive type set, and a bugger to complete. I'm a gobrecht dollar, small eagle half dollar and a couple half dimes short, and have no guess as to when I can or will complete it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file