Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1954 Topps Sports Illustrated

Does PSA grade the paper insert cards from the 54 Sports Illustrated magazine? Or at least slab with authentication? I have only seen these in some of the "El Cheapo" grading co. slabs. Thanks - - - Rick
"I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO" - SMOKY JOE WALSH - - -
Always looking for 53 Topps Baseball and "stuff"

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Can they tell the difference between the legit ones and the "warehouse find" on the '80's? From what I understand this is one of those issues that have such a grey area between legit and bogus most stay away from, unless the magazine comes with the original mailing label.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I get on Ebay to look for'54 topps graded I always run into these and all I have seen is the other grading companys I dont believe I have ever seen one in a psa holder.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost always AAA is the grading company. Maybe that's why I cant get a tow when im broken down on the side of the road. image
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    There aren't any listed in the pop reports and no registry sets listed either, I've never seen one in a psa holder.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Anthony...I was awre of the reprint issue of a few years back; what was the "wharehouse find" from the 80s ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can they tell the difference between the legit ones and the "warehouse find" on the '80's? From what I understand this is one of those issues that have such a grey area between legit and bogus most stay away from, unless the magazine comes with the original mailing label. >>

Griffins, please tell me a bit more about the warehouse find from the 1980s. Does this refer to the copies SI issued in 1994 as part of the 40th anniversary? Is there a question about whether these really were printed in 1954?
  • Options
    I asked PSA this a few months back and the answer is yes they will grade them but will be assigned hand cut but still will have a grade from PSA 1 to PSA 10.
    I was wondering this because i also did not see a pop report on these and these are licensed. I made sure that they would grade these before cutting out but i cannot cut them out because my copy is mint with the cards inside.
    Hope this helps,
    Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    Al, I believe Mike Wentz posted about these years ago. Since he can't post here, I'd rather not try and quote him incorrectly, but the main point was that they were either reprinted or there was a big part of the press run still in a warehouse from a followup printing. I'll try and email Brian and Mike to clarify.
    Either way I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one unless the provenance was really strong.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I sent BMW an email about half a hour ago, and almost immediately got a reply email from Brian and a follow up phone call. All very pleasant and informative.

Brian stated that around 90-92 SI reps were selling lots of 1st editions to hobby stores. The difference between these and the ones that were on newstands in '54 was that the newly offered ones did not have the subscription card in the middle. Brian did not state that these were reprints, 2nd printings or anything of the like, but that they did not have that card between pages 18 & 19.
    He sent along a scan of the card, shown below:

He also sent me a link to a copy issued in '54 that they currently have listed on ebay. For the cynical among us, Brian said I didn't have to post that, it was just for my edification, but I think it's pertinant since it shows the original card along with the mailing envelope, and the cards in question.
    SI #1

Hope this all makes sense. A big thanks to Brian for being so willing to share his knowledge, and to be so prompt in doing so.

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Interesting info, Griffins. FWIW, I bought a copy maybe 3-4 years ago which comes in the SI presentation folder as a first issue, and the SI COA issued on 1/28/94 that says it's an original from 1954. It matches identical to the picture you show below and the BMW link, and contains the mailing card between pages 18 and 19. So not doubting the info BMW stated, but just relaying my experience. I can post a pic of the mag and the presentation folder if you'd be interested as well.

Scott
  • Options
    I also have the Sports Illustrated 1954 that came in the presentation case. I checked and mine has the subscription form in it and in the same location. I bought mine off of Ebay but it does not have a COA from Sports Illustrated in it. I don't know if it did not come with one or the seller kept it or what? I bought a Eddie Mathews 1954 card from one of the magazines and if it is as nice as it looked in the scan I would like to get it graded or at least slabbed. (I did not plan to cut the one out of my 1954 magazine) Sure does seem like a lot of those cards out there. Rick
    "I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO" - SMOKY JOE WALSH - - -
    Always looking for 53 Topps Baseball and "stuff"