Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

COLLECTOR'S COUNCIL FORMING

Actually I copied the idea from the coin guys. If it can be put together, I think it is a good idea to have a collectors council. Someone wrote recently that collector's opinions are all over the boards here - all PSA has to do is read them. Well, we know for a fact that they do read them, and that certain topics come up for discussion in their decision making processes, but it would be good to have a council to act as liason between PSA and the members here.

The council could present the collective ideas of the members to PSA, and convey communications from PSA back to the boards here. It's still their Registry, their forum, and their rules, but having a conduit for the free flow of information should benefit all.

The priority list is too easily "massaged" by having friends email a request for a set that one particular collector has the majority of the cards ever graded for that particular set, and is the only set collector of that issue, yet that set ranks higher than more mainstream sets.

If you think that the idea has merit, that the members here are willing to support and contribute, and a willingness from those "volunteered" to spend the necessary time to assist in this venture, it might just make sense for all concerned. Somehow we must get the holy water sprinkled upon the idea of a council from PSA. Does anyone have an idea as to whether they would entertain something of this nature? I guess that the worst thing would be a polite no.

Feedback?????

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Comments

• Options
    Zardoz - I think that the idea has a lot of merit, but as you pointed out PSA would have to be very willing to recognize such a "council" otherwise it would be useless and a waste of time. I think a lot of the members including myself would be happy to make suggestions to the council leaders on whatever needs addressing, but not all of us would want to be an active member of the council itself (myself included). Perhaps if such a group can be started we could nominate a few board members to lead the council and then vote on it. I think that only Senior Members and up should be able to vote. Things like that are up for debate of course...image

All right I'll start. I nominate "Dude" to be our supreme leader in this ultimate quest for PSA Utopia...image
  • Options
    duly seconded!

(At this rate, he might find himself elected and not even know that he was nominated for the position)
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I'll second the nomination for Dude.

I will also nominate that Vargha NOT be on the board.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    He will be on. It's just a matter of him greasing palms with varghabux
  • Options
    I assume then that all those issues of vital importance to a particular esteemed member of the council, are not prioritized any higher than all those other silly issues they must consider. I think that the way issues and ideas pop up in these forums, and are discussed by anyone wishing to express an opinion, gives a pretty good idea to anyone observing the overall impact and importance of an issue in question. I think PSA monitors these boards and responds very positively to important issues that stand to benefit most people. To form a council that really only wants to push their own important issues through, in their format with no discussion, doesn't benefit the majority.
  • Options
    I would volunteer the Skylane if I am elected the official pilot to fly board members to important meetings.

Sky
    "Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"Give me a reason to fly, and I'll be there"
  • Options
    zardoz - I think this is an excellent idea and it could become what many collectors have wanted for some time. Imagine a council that could evaluate grading companies and the like - sort of like Consumer Report for collectors. I would also suggest that Vargha be heavily involved with this. . . I mean think of the funding that he could offer image I also feel that schmidty should be involved.

"We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The priority list is no more than a temporary annoyance - eventually all of the sets listed on it will be placed into the registry. Some will just take longer than others.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    As a professional PSA lobbyist I would feel a little annoyed if my questions, comments, or concerns were not addressed immediately and referred back to the “council”. Not that I don’t think this is a good idea. I just want to be able to maintain my direct link with PSA and its staff.image

Carlos
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    How dare you speak about those of us on the council that way Carlos! I will see to it that your membership is revoked. There should also be a rule that no PSYCHOS are allowed on the council. That way Marc (mikeschmidt) can't be appointed or elected. I fear that his mental condition would spell the end of PSA as a viable entity were any of his ideas ever implemented.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    What ever happened with this???
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    After the men in the white coats forcibly hauled Schmidty away, everyone sort of lost interest.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I like cayonths.....soft walls. Hi Doctor. Can I play with your cayonths. I made my eyes boo with my cayonths.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Carlos,

Owing to the totally underwhelming support this absolutely brilliant idea received, it remains in stasis on life support systems. In addition to this, Mr. Schmidt being taken away to the funny-farm has not helped the situation. Despite the increased voltage applied with his electro-shock therapy, he continually screams out that the Phillies are viable contenders in the first decade of the 21st. century.
  • Options
    I think the biggest problem with this idea is that the one person nominated to lead the council hasn't even responded! image

Without a leader there will be PSA Registry Anarchy...Sets will break up, all weightings everywhere will equal 1, BJ will laugh at our requests, Varghabucks will be devalued...

ANARCHY I TELL YOU, ANARCHY!!!!!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    [following up on z9856's comments]
    [Charlton Heston quotation from the end of Planet of the Apes deleted by PSA's censors] image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.