Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Scam EBay Phish e-mail

I got a message in my yahoo e-mail asking about an item I have on Ebay. It replicates the Ebay message very well. I tried to do the print screen, but I could not get the e-mail to post.

Anyway, it takes you to EBay and asks you to login. I got a funny feeling and closed the screen without signing in. I then went to my Ebay in a new screen and I did not have to sign in. I also did not have this e-mail in my EBay messages. I came real close to giving out my user name and password.

Also, the item number in the e-mail topic did not match the item number in the fake Ebay message.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

Comments

• Options
    I have received this numerous times. There is never an auction subject line, just an ebay item number. i wish I coiuld reply with a virus, a big hairy one.

Pete
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I am now getting such emails in My Messages.

When I report them, EBAY replies that I "should
    not do off EBAY transactions." They do not even
    bother to read what I report to them.

The place is out-of-control, and getting worse.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another problem...these arch-criminal spammers/scammers with their "sophisticated" software programs, with e-mail HTML, it can detect whether or not you opened the e-mail, so now you're most likely going to get more of them at least for awhile. Even though it's small proportionately for each one, there is still a cost involved in sending out e-mails, and a cream list for them is to send to people who open up the e-mail. Once you open it, your computer automatically starts downloading the HTML and somehow they can and do track that.

Again, repeat, for the thousandth time...do NOT even open up these e-mails, let alone respond to them.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    What was the question they asked?

Lee
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What was the question they asked?

Lee >>

"What is shipping to Chicaigo? (Yes, they spelled Chicago wrong) Is this new?"

I have recieved many e-mails from legit buyers with bad spelling, so that did not throw me off. But shipping is clearly marked in my auctions, so that was an early tip off.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    << What was the question they asked?

Lee >>

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mine have all been similar to:

"I am very interested in this item. There appears to
    be a similar one for sale. (EBAY # - unrelated EBAY
    Motors listing) Is yours the same?"

When I hit respond, it goes to a fake sign-in screen.

All of the senders turn-up "no such user" in "find member."

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.